• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone love going to the movie theater?

granolaturtle

I do! I love sitting in a dark movie theater, with popcorn and a soda and maybe a bit of candy. Watching upcoming movie trailers on the internet is kinda boring to me, but in a theater I'll be totally hyped. Movies that I see in a theater will often completely capture my imagination.

It's loud, the picture is huge, and since there's an expectation of not talking or pulling out phones in a theater, I find myself very comfortable. Its sensory input i can handle and excluding the input that really bothers me (like people's chatter, especially when it clashes with a movie).

There's some movies I wish I could go back and see in a theater. Titanic, Avatar, a few others, too.

I go the Cinema a lot, sometimes twice to 3 times a week depending what's on at the time.

Also, sorry but Avatar was rubbish IMO.

No... I dislike every aspect of it. But I respect ANYONE who loves it and you should go for it!!!

To me its too many people, its too loud. People coughing and there are so many smells...
The uneven floors in the dark make me feel unstable when I walk because I cant see it to get my feel of where my feet are. I feel trapped. My ears usually start hurting really bad... I might opt for being tied to a public stake in the town square...

I will hang out at the lake and set on the dock, go swimming, or go hiking, or go to the drag races, or even fall asleep in the Library (I have actually done that)... : ) No movies for me, thanks...

I like watching things online. I'll stick to that until everyone learns how to chew quietly and with their mouths closed. And it's just one of the reasons why I don't like going to the movies.

I don't have this option, there is no movie theater in my town. I might like to go if I take earplugs and it's a slower movie without flashing images or special effects, but I'm not into pop culture anyway and usually don't think much of Hollywood blockbusters - there is the occasional good one, but mostly they are not my kind of thing. But no popcorn, snacks or drinks, they're a rip-off (way overpriced) and I don't need these to watch a movie. Also, can't stand to watch the half hour of commercials/trailers before the film starts. I paid to watch a movie, not commercials! Also, I don't like having to sit still for hours on end - at home, I keep get up, stopping it, moving around, rewinding, etc - can't do that in a movie theater. So, for these reasons, movie theaters are ok once in a while, but much prefer to watch at home.

At almost $10 a pop I almost never go to movies. The exception is 3D movies- I love those if the subject matter is good and the movie well done. Disneyworld's 3D movies were the best. Best movie seen in last year was A Monster Calls. Not 3D but wonderfully done. I also hate the commercials, the expensive snacks/drinks, and often the people noise and smells. Also tend to feel trapped.

Cinema is one of the few crowd experiences I enjoy. If I go, I try to catch the matinee so there aren't as many people. I love when the lights go down, everyone hushes, and the previews start. Then you have the PSA's to shut off cell phones, etc, commercial that looks like it was made by Spielberg, and then the movie starts. I find the entire experience quite enjoyable.

Over here in the UK, usually on the first Sunday of the month, they do "Autism friendly" screenings of major movies down at Cineworld.

Last week, they did the new Star Wars, I would've gone but I've seen it twice already.

I love going to the movies especially if they have the seats that lean back. It's just a experience that is hard to replicate at home.

Nope, not in years. Not since acquiring a widescreen television, Dolby 5.1 sound system, video-on-demand/pay-per-view and microwave popcorn. :p

Though I admit at times certain film titles tempt me to see them at the local IMAX.

Nope, not in years. Not since acquiring a widescreen television, Dolby 5.1 sound system, video-on-demand/pay-per-view and microwave popcorn. :p

Though I admit at times certain film titles tempt me to see them at the local IMAX.

The thing about IMAX is that under normal circumstances I refuse on principle to pay the extra £6 for it because I'm already paying £17.90 a month for the Unlimited card plus £5 a year for the CEA card, so IMO unless it's a special feature such as Star Wars, why should I pay extra? And even then, IMO the new Star Wars was actually better in 2D than IMAX.

The thing about IMAX is that under normal circumstances I refuse on principle to pay the extra £6 for it because I'm already paying £17.90 a month for the Unlimited card plus £5 a year for the CEA card, so IMO unless it's a special feature such as Star Wars, why should I pay extra? And even then, IMO the new Star Wars was actually better in 2D than IMAX.

Good point.

The added co$t of IMAX really makes it a stretch...even for those blockbuster films that you just know will be great. And in my case they're usually the films that I will inevitably buy on DVD anyways.

New Threads

Top Bottom