• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone love going to the movie theater?

Thanks. I'll have this in mind on my next trip to the UK.
A couple of people voted this 'funny' but I'm not sure why - I didn't mean it to be a joke. I actually do sometimes visit the UK (I'm from the UK) and occasionally do go to the movies.

I should probably add one factor in not going to the movies I didn't previously mention. My own self-awareness of being on the spectrum. Being able to understand why for most of my life why I always sought to sit in the corners or even the very back of the theater. Always trying to distance myself from others without really giving it a lot of thought.

And how annoyed I often was going to the movies with my brother who always insisted on sitting in the very center of the auditorium itself to maximize the audio effect. :p

I certainly wouldn't call attending functions in an auditorium to be especially "toxic", though I can certainly understand now how others may well interpret it as such. Though if I'm in too close a proximity of other strangers it can potentially set me up for a fight/flight response as well. :eek:

I'll always love the movies. But sharing them with others in real time? Not so much. ;)

I like it, the big visual/sound experience just for a few hours. Also the popcorn and soda. :)

Only if the theater is empty of partially empty. A packed house is something I dread.

I agree with you 100% in this one. I too like going to the movies. But I only do them on matinee times. Not only are the tickets cheaper. But the auditorium is less then 10% full and I can get a good seat without having to sit next to someone and have to share armrests.

widescreen television, Dolby 5.1 sound system, video-on-demand/pay-per-view and microwave popcorn. :p

I’m coming to your house instead of the theatre, then

I agree that a great movie in the theater is even better. I saw Lawrence of Arabia in 70 millimeter in a restored movie palace, and that was an incredible experience.

It helped that everone there was a classic film fan and no one was playing games or chattering away.

I love going to the theater but only when it's around noon or during the matinee but never at 7PM or later. Everyone tends to be rude and inconsiderate at around 7PM (drunk or just lacking in manners, I haven't decided yet). I love sitting in the way back of the screen and right in the middle where I can get the maximum amount of screen from both sides of my vision. 3D is awesome and I love the feeling of being in the movie. 4D not so much, I always seem to have bad luck with random things poking me in the back.

Things I don't like in the movies:

Explosions from the movie (I swear that they turn them up to the highest possible volume)
People taking off their shoes and putting their socks in your arm holes (Almost turned me off movies, I'd rather not pay $20 for things like that. I can see why people have really short tempers.)
Cellphone screen lights

I like the big screen experience, so yes, if it is a movie I think I'll really like I go.
I won't pay the price for the drinks and popcorn though.
Sometimes I get that for free with my movie club card.
Then it's a treat.

I don't like sitting close to other people.
If I can catch a movie just before it is about to stop being shown, the crowd is usually over and I get lucky with only three or four others in the theatre.

When I'm the only one in the theatre, and I have had that happen a couple of times, that is the way to go!

Unfortunately, the loudness assaults one of my sensory sensitivities. And I don't even enjoy movies at home, since I find it difficult to become emotionally involved in movies. If I do become emotionally involved, it's even worse, since it interferes with my day even after the movie is over.

I love the cinema. I go often. During movies at home I can get distracted, but in a movie theatre my mind is all there. Also, some movies I feel are only nice when watched on a big screen, because they are pretty to look at, but not much else. Also movie popcorn.

New Threads

Top Bottom