• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone have an obsession they wish they didn't?

Yes. Actually, believe it or not, I periodically become obsessed with...Asperger's Syndrome! My own disorder...has anyone else ever felt this? I think it's kind of funny. But I wish I didn't have this because my friends get a bit annoyed, they might feel like I'm bragging about my disorder when I'm just stating interesting facts... Haha, weird.

I'm proud of all of my obsessions, my main ones being Pokemon and Science as they still are today, but my most obscure obsession would have to be fish tanks. In fact, I loved fish tanks so much that I programmed a fish tank simulator.

Yes. Actually, believe it or not, I periodically become obsessed with...Asperger's Syndrome! My own disorder...has anyone else ever felt this? I think it's kind of funny. But I wish I didn't have this because my friends get a bit annoyed, they might feel like I'm bragging about my disorder when I'm just stating interesting facts... Haha, weird.

I have.

Re: Problematic obsessions?

Hello everyone. :)

I was wondering if anyone has ever had an obsession they wish that they didn't. In my case, I tend to have one major obsession for a time that lasts anywhere from one to several years. None of them have been problematic in subject-matter, but the duration of time for which I am obsessed becomes a problem. At first, I love whatever it is I'm obsessing over, but over time, people tend to get really sick of it and annoyed that I bring it up in every conversation. Unfortunately, I usually love my obsession so much, it's hard to avoid talking about it. Bringing it up, even if people ignore me, has a powerful soothing feeling. It becomes an issue, and sometimes I really wish I could move on.

On the other hand, if I do not have a current obsession, I just feel very empty and like there is a void in my life. Can anyone else relate to this? Is there a way to make an obsession go away?

Create a diversion, find another interest than the one you have. The tricky part is that you can't just dispose of an obsession like that so I suggest to find a group of people who enjoy your current obsession or have Asperger's Syndrome (or both). They will appreciate your extensive knowledge on the subject. :)

I forgot that I had this obsession until I put my light blue blanket with the fuzz balls all over it, back on my bed. I gave another blanket to Goodwill because I was doing the same thing to it, before I put holes in it. I lay there and scratch, not pick, the fuzz balls off the blanket which now has holes in it. Because of this obsession is the reason I don't normally use these kinds of blankets and will be taking it off and replacing it with a Vellux blanket.
:spin:

One of my obsessions is video games, and as much as I enjoy them, I wish I was obsessed with something a bit more productive. I suppose it's not as expensive as my obsession with electric guitars has been.

I was like that for a month.Haha

Erm.... I don't even know where to start.

The internet is a problem for me. If it's there, I want and must use it. If it's not then I'm ok about it, but if I cna use it, you have more than likely lost me... And if I can download? Oh dear!. Each time we house / dog sit for our two friends who have two stunning king charles spaniels, I completly and utterly abuse his really fast internet. Last time in just under 2 weeks I did over 180gb of tv, films and music. I could have done more but I ran out of things to download... I actually did??

I tend to get very obessive about collecting magazines and get annoyed when I can't get them. It takes me years to stop myself from buying the latest issue and now because I'm really trying to make a go with my photography, I've now started buying like 3/4 different types of magazines :(

The need for anyone and everyone to open crisp packets the right way up. It does kind of anger me when people don't open things the right way up.

Sitting in the same seat on the train in the mornings and on the way home, same on buses.....

I think I need to stop now hahaha

I am a time waster and over spender too, lemme know if you find a cure. As far as the same seat on the train, as long as you can adapt enough to be ok if that seats taken it's pretty normal everybody does that not just Aspies.

I'm obsessed with lies, although only in the writing them as fiction sense these days for myself. I find other peoples' lies fascinating too, and I'll almost encourage them to go on when I know something is patently untrue. There's something ambitious and self-preservatory about most people's lies, whether they're white lies to make someone feel better, or big ones that cause much pain when they're discovered. Eek, that doesn't sound all that nice does it?

I'm obsessed with lies, although only in the writing them as fiction sense these days for myself. I find other peoples' lies fascinating too, and I'll almost encourage them to go on when I know something is patently untrue. There's something ambitious and self-preservatory about most people's lies, whether they're white lies to make someone feel better, or big ones that cause much pain when they're discovered. Eek, that doesn't sound all that nice does it?
I had a friend who invented an entire persona to fool my mother into thinking she was from Ireland. When my mom asked me to join them for lunch and she was mortified that I knew she was lying to my mom. I didn't take offense at all I thought it made her intriguing, however she has never come around me again.

I obsess occasionally (like once every 10 years) a really nice person I may have met.

I don't call or visit or follow or stalk or anything like that I just day dream about what if we were closer or had been able to share more together. It's really annoying when it happens as I can get down realising I may not ever get closer than what I already am ... I guess I just want to be closer but can't for whatever reason (they may have moved away, changed jobs or even passed on in some instances).

Anyone else relate? I hate being like this and am going through this right now actually.

Sometimes I just wish that I didn't have special interests (as in: an interest towards which there are very strong emotions) at all. I guess it's the whole - can't have the joy without the heartache deal. There's got to be some kind of balance of both, but when the latter strikes as it always does periodically, I don't know how to handle it. Except lie in bed and feel really sad and then beat myself up for feeling sad because rationally, I usually believe that I am overreacting over some really small thing that triggered the strong reaction just because it was somehow related to my special interest.

Not the interest in particular that is problematic, though. Although I sure do wish I could choose my interests, rather than have them choose me - if I could, I'd definitely choose something that can actually help me make a living, for once! But alas.... it doesn't work that way. At least it never has for me.

I sometimes wish that my obsessions didn't involve the spending of money that I can't actually afford but otherwise I'm happy to like the things that I like.

Yes. Plenty of them. And every single one is motivated by a personal insecurity so you can imagine.

The ketosis obession I had nearly killed me. It drew out my QT interval to the point I was passing out. If I would have continued on it for a another month, due to me having a heart condition (that I just discovered recently) I really believe I would have died.

I had an obsession with skin care that became so crazy two years ago that I was getting cosmetic peels every week. My skin was literally purple and raw.

Behind my every obession there is a "push" for perfection that just ends up going in a very destructive direction.

i don't know if this is aspie related or anyone else tends to do the same thing.
it's hard to explain. xD When i do things its almost as everything is in a specific way
the way i fall asleep will always be the same way, the way i walk, if i'm going somewhere it's always the same way i wont choose another if i'm used to that way i don't know how too explain it's like the way i move is always the same ill always sit in same chair, keep laptop same place there's lots of things even the way i smoke it will always be the same like i cant hold in another hand or a different way. some people think its weird sometimes it's made me self conscious lol :D most times i'm doing something i seem to be thinking consciously about it? i dont even know LOL

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom