• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone have an obsession they wish they didn't?

Whats the above post got to do with obsessions-why is it that every time a new thread is posted people go off on tangents?-I used to date a woman who did that all the time- come to think of it all my ex girlfriends did that -is it a female thing??? if this is a sexist comment -good I don't give a hoot for political correctness!!!

Last edited:
Shopping for dollie things when I don't have the money for them because I am upset and need to calm down? I tend to react to situations with a need to indulge in my chosen obsessions and sometimes the internet is way to helpful.

Shopping for dollie things when I don't have the money for them because I am upset and need to calm down? I tend to react to situations with a need to indulge in my chosen obsessions and sometimes the internet is way to helpful.

I also do similar stuff - I look out for sports gear when I really feel upset and frustrated. I really need certain distractions.

I also do similar stuff - I look out for sports gear when I really feel upset and frustrated. I really need certain distractions.

@Arashi- there is avoidance and there is distraction- some people use drink ,some drugs, some gamble, some become obsessive with sport and exercise whilst others Shop- what many are not doing is turning and facing the problem, being honest with themselves about what is actually going on and dealing with the problem in a more positive manner!!This is not the first time you have written about your emotional state at work and how it affects you at home. Perhaps there is something more going on than a mere problem. It is not the problem that is of concern rather the effect that these problems are having on you and how they manifest in behaviour.

Last edited:
@Arashi- there is avoidance and there is distraction- some people use drink ,some drugs, some gamble, some become obsessive with sport and exercise whilst others Shop- what many are not doing is turning and facing the problem, being honest with themselves about what is actually going on and dealing with the problem in a more positive manner!!This is not the first time you have written about your emotional state at work and how it affects you at home. Perhaps there is something more going on than a mere problem. It is not the problem that is of concern rather the effect that these problems are having on you and how they manifest in behaviour.
@Rolo: Hun, I deal with my issues, in my own way thank you. Its not up to you to decide what is a positive manner for me or not. None of us are the same so my way of dealing with something is gonna be different than yours and what I find a positive way may be negative to someone else. Personally I tend to write about my issues sometimes when I have meltdowns because it makes me feel better more than going off and shopping for things (I recognize that this obsession with shopping is not a good when upset) so I do something different often times. I am not hurting anyone or myself.I thank you for your concern, however I am actually happy generally with my life, and the things that are going on. We all struggle and I am not always gonna be Pollyanna though I generally am. Again I thank you for you concern but its not needed.:)

Well, idk if this is classified as an obsession or just a stim, but any ways. I'm slightly obsessed with toothpicks, love sticking them in my gums, it hurts but I like it. Also lately I have started using things other than toothpicks. Having a pencil lead stuck in-between two teeth is really irritatiing

I was merely noticing your behavioral pattern- sometimes you appear to go into child mode- perhaps that's just your writing style-I have noticed that most members reply when somebody is shouting out help- we can not read your mind- perhaps I got it wrong-apologies in that case-
secondly, when replying to a well meant post that you appear to have been offended by it is inadvisable to refer to the postee as Hun

Last edited:
Rolo, I am not offended by the post I am merely pointing out that I like everyone else has issues and was posting in the thread one of the obsession that I find difficult to curb at times like we all do, but have been working on. It was not in the least meant to be anything but statement back to you that I am fine ,because you seemed so concerned. I am grateful for your concern. I apologize as well if you were offended by my post back to you, I generally do act childlike and am sweet and gentle and I am sorry I will not call you 'hun' again but if I slip please let me know. It is simply my writing style it was very nice post and well meant and I understood that but I wanted you to know that I felt like I was fine and learning to take care of it. I am sorry. I apologize as well. I am sincerely sorry that my post back to you was misconstrued as being me being offended I wasn't I just felt it needed to be pointed out that while I struggle I still take care of myself and move forward everyday like everyone else who has struggles. I am trying to keep this short as I know blocks of text are hard for you. So I just wanted to apologize as well. I have been a bit snippy as of late and I am sorry.

Apologies sincerely accepted-its difficult to read what someone actually means and we tend to get it wrong sometimes.
using the term Hun is fine by me if meant with affection.

Apologies sincerely accepted-its difficult to read what someone actually means and we tend to get it wrong sometimes.
using the term Hun is fine by me if meant with affection.

You will start to notice that when i am fond of someone it is always used with affection and care. I call people hun, love, darling. It is just my way of saying I care about what you are saying and that I am thinking about it. You could also say that its an obsession of mine that can get me into trouble. OK we're cool right? Hugs? :)

Erm.... I don't even know where to start.

The internet is a problem for me. If it's there, I want and must use it. If it's not then I'm ok about it, but if I cna use it, you have more than likely lost me... And if I can download? Oh dear!. Each time we house / dog sit for our two friends who have two stunning king charles spaniels, I completly and utterly abuse his really fast internet. Last time in just under 2 weeks I did over 180gb of tv, films and music. I could have done more but I ran out of things to download... I actually did??

I tend to get very obessive about collecting magazines and get annoyed when I can't get them. It takes me years to stop myself from buying the latest issue and now because I'm really trying to make a go with my photography, I've now started buying like 3/4 different types of magazines :(

The need for anyone and everyone to open crisp packets the right way up. It does kind of anger me when people don't open things the right way up.

Sitting in the same seat on the train in the mornings and on the way home, same on buses.....

I think I need to stop now hahaha

The internet is a problem for me. If it's there, I want and must use it. If it's not then I'm ok about it, but if I cna use it, you have more than likely lost me... And if I can download? Oh dear!. Each time we house / dog sit for our two friends who have two stunning king charles spaniels, I completly and utterly abuse his really fast internet. Last time in just under 2 weeks I did over 180gb of tv, films and music. I could have done more but I ran out of things to download... I actually did??

The need for anyone and everyone to open crisp packets the right way up. It does kind of anger me when people don't open things the right way up.

Sitting in the same seat on the train in the mornings and on the way home, same on buses.....

Sounds like digital hoarding, lol

Do you watch whatever you download? I tend to stock up on series sometimes and need a time out just to clear what I accumulated over time.

With foods i do have the same thing. Don't see use of buying crisps when not wanting them.mis it only for foods? If not... I guess toycollectors (for example) will be your worst nightmare with things in orignal pakage and seal.

As for spots... I do have my spots at place, i can deal with it if it's taken but if it's not I end up sitting there.

A few things:

- An obsession with Kevin Federline - I wonder why I'm hooked to this guy, and try to emulate this guy. I even do my best to wear wifebeaters and jeans all the time, just like him!
- An obsession with buses and trains. They seem to bring me to a lot of places, but other than a few photos on Google+, I have nothing to show for this interest.
- Urban planning. How can I build a sustainable city when I don't even know how to balance commercial with idealistic principles?

Sounds like digital hoarding, lol

Do you watch whatever you download? I tend to stock up on series sometimes and need a time out just to clear what I accumulated over time.

With foods i do have the same thing. Don't see use of buying crisps when not wanting them.mis it only for foods? If not... I guess toycollectors (for example) will be your worst nightmare with things in orignal pakage and seal.

As for spots... I do have my spots at place, I can deal with it if it's taken but if it's not I end up sitting there.

I aim to watch to, but I end up getting caught up in other things and then I have to get myself in the mood to watch something new. I'm really bad with new things now and it takes a lot to watch something new when the old favourites are so easily available.

Also, it's any packets. Same with boxes and packets too.

I can deal with it when my spot is taken, but it does make me angry and the need to hit the person can get pretty high at times, again I never would.

As many people on WrongPlanet can attest, I have an unhealthy love/hate relationship with my obsessions, which are Time Burton movies, specifically the ones he collaborated on with Johnny Depp, as well as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

With my Tim Burton/Johnny Depp movie obsession, I am just burned out on it. It's been 2 years and 9 months since my obsession with it began, and I have indulged in it so heavily that it doesn't give me an emotional high like it used to. It's not exciting anymore.

I wish I wasn't obsessed with My Little Pony either, but for a different reason - I'm still passionate/excited about it, because I've only had it off and on for a year. The reason why I wish I didn't have it as an obsession is because of the way other people react to it. There are two kinds of people who hate MLP: those who are not internet-savvy and mock adults who enjoy something aimed at little girls, or and those who are internet-savvy and are sick of MLP's high level of popularity. I have gotten flak from both kinds of people.

I wish we had the ability to choose our obsessions, because I can think of a couple of other things I would rather be obsessed with than the ones I've got. But despite my dislike of my obsessions, they won't go away. I like to watch TV shows about people who collect things or are obsessed with things, and read about other autistic people's special interests, because I like to see what it's like to have a different obsession than mine. (As my mom says, "the grass is greener on the other side" - meaning someone else's life seems better than yours). Every time I try to get into something else, my mind always drifts back to them. It's made me incredibly frustrated and I don't know what to do. I've talked it over with my family members for months and they are becoming annoyed that I keep bringing it up, because they don't have the answers. I just don't know what to do anymore.

While I love my hobby related obsessions, I somewhat hate how they come and go, if I'm not "supplied" with a decent stream of said subject. The big issue however resides in "decent stream". I lose interest in things if I'm not doing in 24/7 (including skipping sleep) quite fast. Especially if it's not really an "active" activity.

A few weeks ago I finally caught up with Breaking bad, a show which I hadn't seen before. Heard of it, never got to it. In 3 days or so I pretty much plowed through 4 seasons, and the 5th was on the trail. I pretty much, excuse my expression, watched the **** out of it. I read up on wiki's about it, checked websites and wanted to know everything. I even ended up in listening to podcasts with interviews. And that's how I end up with every show I like. But at some point, the show ends. There is no 20 hour daily episodes of something going on, but that's pretty much how I need to be "fed" with those media. For a Philip K. Dick reference; I'm quite sure Buster Friendly would be a good fit for me.

Movies, series, even music... I need to... I wouldn't even call it "eating" to use it as a metaphor... I'm literally gorging it. Screw tableware, I'm using a shovel (which also illustrates my bluntness perfectly)

But those are all activities that are quite passive. Research isn't really an activity as such, as painting something or writing music.

When we're talking active stuff, I need to keep with it, to both have an interest AND keep my skills to a certain level. I sometimes call it terrible memory, but I actually have issues remembering how to hold a pen when I don't do this daily. I noticed a similar thing with other activities. Painting and the entire "how paints work" and the entire color theory... I have to dig really deep, if I'm not into that phase right now. And I'm usually not into that phase when I did something else the day before. Heck; me and videogames... if I'm not playing said game all day, chances are the next day I have to "relearn" the controls and feel of the game again. Granted it goes faster, it's subconscious, but still, it takes some time for me to get into it. So doing stuff in short bursts doesn't work for me at all. And as such I learned that obsessions and stuff need to be there for a long while and not just in short bursts. On a related note; when I was in university, the first weekend was already detrimental for my progress... I wasn't able to indulge on those things 7 days a week, 24 hours a day (and depending on others in terms of teamwork is a fatal blow).

A big problem in that area however is resources. I don't have a cashflow that allows me to keep busy with all these things for this amount of time. And similarly, if I had this cashflow I didn't have time to develop any skills or interests probably.

It's not neccesarily that I have obsessions I think are weird or wrong. It's just that my way in dealing with obsessions... that's probably different.

For the most part, anything I could be accused of being obsessed with is relatively harmless. For instance, I'm a cashmere hoodie freak (I also have a bunch of fleece ones). Since I watch for them on deep discount (like Ebay etc.) I don't overspend & go bananas. I'm also particular about the features my hoodies must have so it further restricts my options.

As for an obsession I wish would go away or one that has harmful potential, I'm one of those who is fascinated by large rare diamonds; esp those subjected to unique cutting. If I ever had millions to toss about, I would definitely get myself into BIG trouble. Right now, since I don't have the Emir of Kuwait's budget, I am merely another ogler. Like many Aspies with an interest, I know far more than most non-high end gem cutters, dealers & jewellers about this subject. I know better than to bring it up & torture people with it & since I'd rather not be stuck chatting with anyone, this is just as well. I'm not interested in them for status purposes nor to impress anyone: I wouldn't give a hoot what anyone thought of my collection (same goes for my hoodies!) For some reason, shallow NT society associates these stones with status & the pathological need to out-do or impress others. I just really am fascinated by & enjoy them.

Top Bottom