• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anybody got weird taste in music?

I listen to a lot of obscure music from other countries in foreign languages. Some people find that weird.

How obscure are we talking about? Zulu obscure? Or you listen to french pop when you live in the US weird?
Prog rock albums from Romania, Chile or Iceland or Albania or any country (if there were a Zulu progressive rock, I would want that), from bands in the 70s who are little known in their own country or in progressive rock circles, for example. But the point is, some people think that anything that is not mainstream is weird. When I was a kid in the UK growing up in the 70s, I listened to German music, and that was considered weird, too, simply because it foreign, in another language, wasn't mainstream and not what everyone else is listening to.

Gimme names! I need new music. Also have you heard of Skinflint? They are a band from Botswana. Not sure if your into metal, but their medium on the heavy metal scale.

Gimme names! I need new music. Also have you heard of Skinflint? They are a band from Botswana. Not sure if your into metal, but their medium on the heavy metal scale.
No, hadn't heard of Skinflint (now I have). Thanks for the suggestion. Can you recommend me an album? I mainly listen to progressive rock, but do listen to some metal, mainly folk metal, like Skyclad or Negura Bunget, or the more mainstream Dream Theater, Opeth and Pain of Salvation. One or two lesser known albums for starters (I have plenty more! :D ):
Rhetorica - Ganduri (2005) Romanian melodic progressive metal, one-off project of members of 2 bands, Dirty Shirt and Legion. http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3205

Talitha Qumi - Despre Cuvinte (1996) http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5606

Qelbanix - Functioni Im (2008 - hard rock/prog rock from Albania)

Kogaion - Kogaion (1999) (Romanian symphonic prog. One of my personal favourites.)
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=53071

Hinn Íslenzki Þursaflokkur - Hinn Íslenzki Þursaflokkur (1978) (Icelandic prog folk)
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=9233

That is straight out of the Bible [Mark 5:35-43].
Yes, it has Biblical connections. It is Aramaic for "Maiden Arise" according to a different source (though I am expert on neither the Bible nor Aramaic). Here I see that in this translation of the Bible, it is "little girl, I say to you, arise".

I listen to a lot of obscure music from other countries in foreign languages. Some people find that weird.

I still continue to think that you are my long lost twin as you almost always give the same exact response to topics that I would have had. I too listen to alot of music in foreign languages such as Chinese, Indian, Italian, Spanish, and French. I listen to alot of instrumentals especially video game or anime songs.

I still continue to think that you are my long lost twin as you almost always give the same exact response to topics that I would have had. I too listen to alot of music in foreign languages such as Chinese, Indian, Italian, Spanish, and French. I listen to alot of instrumentals especially video game or anime songs.
Yes - though there is one point we differ on, that I don't listen to music from video games (I don't play video games) or anime songs.

When I mean by weird taste, I mean genres that necessarily don't go together. I love punk rock and I love country music. As I got older, I started getting into old time country such as Hank Williams, Johnny Cash and so forth. Punk rock has been with me since I was preteen. Social Distortion's 80's punk, Orange county (CA) punk, Rancid, East Bay punk. I am more into the hardcore 80's punk.

I feel like it is weird for me to like country and punk at the same time. People are surprised when we get into my car and I have country music on, but I am wear a leather jacket and have spiked hair. They automatically assume I like punk because of my hairstyle and clothing until the hear that I am listing to Hank Williams in my car.

Anybody else have a weird taste in music? Or do you just like any type of music genre?

I am exactly like you. I am an aging punk, but I LOVE Hank WIlliams Sr. , Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, the early Blues (Great Depression era), very early roots of 20th century folk and bluegrass. I love all jazz 1920s to 1970s. I also love world music, and will listen to Mongolian throat singing, or the goat-like bleating of Bulgarian nuns just as much as listen to Rammstein, Marilyn Manson, or Jeff Beck, or Dio. It’s all good, but I do not listen to pop, or any “popular music” as the masses enjoy. Too boring.

I listen to patriotic music from several different countries. I also like to listen to some music from the 30s and 40s like The Ink Spots or Louis Armstrong. For some reason every time I've shown this type of music to people they don't like it. It just encourages me to listen to more of it.

Since I initially responded to this post, I changed jobs, and sit at a computer ALL DAY. So I now listen to music online all day and I work in an office where most others listedn to pop/ classic rock or sports talkradio. Compared to my co workers, I have very weird musical taste and I have toned things down to not distract others. (I can't bear wearing headphones/earbuds.

Otherwise, I've found that I like pretty much everything but new country and classicrock/pop.

Well, I really like hard rock and metal, which legit confusing some people who know that I have autism. It's like they're expecting me to say that soft piano music is my favorite genre, but then I say it's Metallica, Megadeth, Linkin Park, and possibly Led Zeppelin turned to 11. For some reason, Metal makes me more relaxed than a much softer genre does. Softer genres such as classical music, pop, jazz, and many other genre or sub genre that isn't rock or any of it's sub genres somehow make me more anxious than metal. I don't even know how that works, either.

I'm into metal of all types really, apart from the old school glam rock bands and bands like ACDC / Def Leppard etc which i can't stand. I like Iron Maiden and Slayer though. I listen to a lot of 90's stuff like Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam. I also like a lot of obscure foreign metal. I like a German band called Wir Sind Helden who are a bit 'poppy'. There is a Faroese band called Tyr i like and i can go from that to the more mainstream Sigur Ros of Iceland.

Primus crack me up. They've got some catchy riffs. I also don't mind a bit of folk like the Levellers.

My favourite album at the moment though is by a black metal band called Lantlos and it's called Melting Sun. There's a song on there that i would say is the best thing i've ever heard. Cherry Quartz.

The only music genres i refuse to listen to and i'll even leave shops and stores if it is on in the background is rap and r and b music. I dislike dance music too although there are a few songs that i can listen to and don't mind but again, if a shop / store has dance music on a bit too loud then i'll leave.

Weirdly i can listen to most metal music at full decibels no problems. I think it's the sounds of the drums and guitars etc that i find my brain connects with and appreciates.

I like lighter music and then when they really start working it. For example Dan Fogelberg, Belinda Carlisle, Neil Diamond. Since I was little, I've been a huge fan of adult contemporary from the late 70s and early 80s. I've recently learned it has a name, yacht rock. Also a big fan 80s and 90s country, as that was when I honed my skills on bass. Also back in the 80s and 90s when I played video games, I liked a lot of the music, usually a high part and a low part which I would pick out and learn to play separately.

In any case, I don't like to listen to music that is too cluttered. I like it simple, where you can feel the space between the notes. When I was a kid I would call yacht rock or smooth jazz "black space music". No crashing multiple guitars or a crapload of loud instruments going on at once, I'll go away.

I am very much into metal. But specifically Black Metal. My favorite band is from Finland called Sargeist. I know of no one locally that appreciates this kind of music so feel all alone in my appreciation.

I am very much into metal. But specifically Black Metal. My favorite band is from Finland called Sargeist. I know of no one locally that appreciates this kind of music so feel all alone in my appreciation.

I like a bit of black metal. Winterfylleth are a band i've been listening to a lot recently, especially ensigns of victory. The whole genre of it though is hit and miss for me. Some of it really annoys me and i think to myself, these people are musicians and have the talent yet produce such rubbish - such a waste. Yet some are genius. I guess like music in general then.

Winterfylleth is a great band! Their first record was excellent. 2nd I was less impressed with, but the 3rd seems to recapture some of what I appreciated about them. I am way behind on their albums though (time flies...)

Any genre is going to have good stuff & bad stuff. BM included.

It is funny everyone likes 'obscure' boil your eye balls in tuna can juice metal and thinks it unique. Its common as dirt. :p

Ever since I heard 'Princess Magogo kaDinuzulu' I am a fan of Zulu Opera.

magogo6.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom