• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

any tips for stopping habits?

zenbutterfly

Anyone got any tips to stop habits?
I started having a hot chocolate at work, I'd like to stop now as I don't enjoy it as much as I once did, but I'm finding it difficult. Anyone any tips on stopping ?
Thanks x

I am afraid it is down to good old: self control. The first day is the worst, but if you do not give in, then the next day, is bad, but not quite as bad as the first day and it goes on from there and finally, you will find the habit is unformed.

It takes a lot of self control, because the urge is so strong, but you could try making a cup of coffee instead of tea.

I have to eat rather a lot of breakfast, despite not feeling very hungry, because I will get a hyper if I do not. Well, I am having two pieces of lightly fried bread ( minimal oil) and scrambled egg but am finding that it is becoming less enjoyable, but I am so used to having it, that it is hard to stop lol

If it gets to the point that I cannot even stomach it, that will be the point that I stop eating it.

I agree that substitution works best, especially with anything that has been a ritual in your day. Perhaps a glass of tea or water instead?

I could say that my life is made up largely of habits. So much so that the concept of self control means the ability to maintain my habits. Not so good, but at least my habits aren't harmful, they just tend to keep me from trying new things, changing my life in positive ways, that sort of thing.

I have found that replacement is the most successful, unless there's more to the habit of a hot chocolate at work than the beverage itself. Is there something else you're getting by indulging in the cocoa?

I was in the habit many years ago of having a cup of coffee at a coffee shop after work. It wasn't just the coffee, though, it was being immersed in a scene, feeling a part of something, sometimes seeing people I knew. I was spending too much money on something that wasn't very beneficial to me (the coffee) and the time spent hanging around wasn't all that meaningful, I really wasn't part of the scene, so I stopped stopping by. It was hard, having a cup of coffee at home by myself wasn't the same, and I eventually quit drinking coffee as well. But it awakened me to the idea that a habit can be much more than the simple act, or item consumed.

I find it helpful if you can break it down into all the logical pieces, ie. what it does for you vs. what bothers you about it, then you can better break yourself of a habit.

I also am a member of the substitution school. I've broken a few habits in my lifetime, including smoking, and every time I replaced the old habit with a new one.

New Threads

Top Bottom