• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any one else here obsessed with physics?

Source: “University of California - Santa Barbara
Summary:
Numbers like pi, e and phi often turn up in unexpected places in science and mathematics. Pascal's triangle and the Fibonacci sequence also seem inexplicably widespread in nature. Then there's the Riemann zeta function, a deceptively straightforward function that has perplexed mathematicians since the 19th century. The most famous quandary, the Riemann hypothesis, is perhaps the greatest unsolved question in mathematics, with the Clay Mathematics Institute offering a $1 million prize for a correct proof.”

Here is a link to the above article and more complete description of what he worked on.

A New Approach to a $1 million Mathematical Enigma

Looks like you found it. Feels great to see stuff like this. watching a young guy starting thier career, make a big breakthrough, become the guy.

Son said number theory lies at the base of all the rest of mathematics. He added an amusing quip/quote about working with math:

Relevant math quote: "God created the natural numbers; all the rest is the work of man."

The Reinmann hypothesis if solved would be the biggest break through in math, lead to a break through in physics at the same time.

I have started watching U-tube videos, better than reading books as prefer the visual media to the written one.
In physics one presenter stands out Sabine Hossenfelder Physics has been going in the wrong direction for close to a hundred years, she seems to recognize this, A lot of graduate student over the years got on the wrong bus funny it could have been me when I started my career 40 years ago. I guess I made the right career choices after all. They got on the particle physics bus should have got on the condensed matter bus. who knew.

Last edited:
Thanks for mentioning her videos. I listened to part 2 of the earthquakes talk. Succint and appealing.
btw I have seen animals (dog & cat) attempting to run away or hide just moments before an earthquake.

A quote from unknown someone on her twitter feed seemed pretty good: “Dark energy is the label given to the missing energy that is needed to account for the expansion of the universe. Either we figure out it doesn't exist and the expansion is caused by something else, or we figure out how to observe it and then it won't be "Dark" anymore.”

Watch some of her physics videos, she is a world renown particle physicist. Dark energy and dark matter may not exist in the way presently perceived. Particles do not exist is the way we visualize them. so looking for a new particle is a bit off the wall.

It looks like physics is starting to move forward again by following the math, some one makes a breakthrough in mathematic years ago then a up and coming physicist gets a intuition, realizes that the break an be applied to physics. The latest such connection is Octonions. Just know enough math to sort of understand. Starting to see how one dimension can be turned into three dimensional space using straight math.

Neutron stars are made of pure neutrons, neutrons have a half light of a little over 14 minutes, do they slowly decay via a reaction similar to Hawking radiation or quantum tunneling in some form.

I'm not obsessed with physics.
I regret, I don't have the attention span to read the thread.
I am not religious.
I do have this feeling there is somehow a connection between physics and the Divine.
I also feel this about mathematics.

A lot of scientist's are religious, not atheist, but rather agnostic. Even mathematic's is not absolute, see the work of Kurt Godel.

I don’t have much of an interest in physics, but I did watch this interesting video about a guy in the field who almost faked his way to a Nobel Prize.

The only laureate, That I am interested in is Peiter Zeeman share surname, and an interest in Physics. A number of people got nominated, any body can nominate winning is the hard part. Claude Shannon, was the guy to watch at BELL labs.

The blurry ness in my minds eye picture is slowly becoming less so in the last couple of years.
Math; statistics how does could, turn into would, calculus. yes we can divide by zero and infinity. complex analysis turn a number line into a complex plane.
Physics, turn an it, into a bit. Turn nothing into a point turn that in turn into a two dimension object Mobius strip one rotation due to a twist turns into two of infinite extant in the two dimensions turns into a finite three dimensional object of finite size. Watching some u-tube videos from lectures given by Arkkani-Hamed got my mind racing new way of looking at things.

I know under stand what spinors are, Mathematicians like there own language, visual thinkers like me are not able to translate language into pictures. think of the number line straight with different types of numbers. it is a bit more complex then that turn it into a plane and you have what they call complex numbers turn the plane into vectors, Cartesian plane.

My knowledge of mathematics is limited to what I learned in high school. Probably for gifted students now. School different then. I took a lot of math

Paul Dirac always spoke of the beauty of mathematical theorems. his mistake was following beauty, If you theorem is beautiful instead you should follow simplicity, may be re-think the math you are using Maybe the math you need was not taught in any physics course you took or is so obscure only a well trained mathematician would even be aware of it. simple is the key as john Nash said If every one goes for the blonde no one gets her. Each time a breakthrough happened it was new math Einstein, non euclidean geometey, Hiesenberg it was linear algebra. and then Glen-mann group theory. They all had to learn this stuff on thier own not taught in physics courses at the time for people like me high school math years later except for group theory obscure until the sixties.

Last edited:
Watching Dirac lectures interesting he is one of us but is not a visual thinker uses straight math,
Planes cannot land at a air port without using complex analysis, math too complex, I can sort of visualize this, is the universe space much different than air space spinors, may be onto some thing
so complex analysis may be the key octonions obscure math not in a regular physics course. The universe may be much simpler if you use the right description. Just ask an air craft controller.

I am coming the conclusion that dark matter is Axions, and dark energy is information. Seeing some weird math that may explain how the univese works.

The biggest anomaly in physics, that may break open everything what is the life time of an Neutron? can be measured two ways. just short of 15 minutes. both method disagree by about 10 second this is a very large difference, not just a slight statistical difference. Something big is happening. If it sorts out may explain, some of the big mysteries. So far have not seen any hypothesis that could even remotely explain it. Will it take another Einstein, the photo electric effect, which led to quantum mechanics.

I'm starting to to realize that life is one big fractal, I see in my nieces and nephews, copies of various family members. through not by thier actual parents but rather uncles and aunt. In chaos theory related to fracals there is what is called strange attractor. which I suspect may in some way be related to super determinism. Determinism should not exist do to quantum mechanics. Is this the loophole that leaves room for religion.

I'm starting to to realize that life is one big fractal, I see in my nieces and nephews, copies of various family members. through not by thier actual parents but rather uncles and aunt. In chaos theory related to fracals there is what is called strange attractor. which I suspect may in some way be related to super determinism. Determinism should not exist do to quantum mechanics. Is this the loophole that leaves room for religion.
It is called Genetics. Did you know that many physicists and physical chemists founded molecular genetics? Notable is Gunther Stent who started his postdoc work with physicist Max Delbrück.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom