• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

So sorry sisselcakes. I'm only now seeing your question in relation to "panic attack". It's been a few years (5 this last May) since I had an attack. Luckily I was in the doctors office when it happened. The nurse ran, grabbed a bag, told me to breathe into it. It slowed my breathing down and took care of the attack like a champ. So yes. It will work. I'll never be without one again. Btw, a lunch bag size should suffice should an attack ensue.
Thanks for your response. I've always seen that technique used in movies and such but didn't know if it actually worked. glad you found something that works for you! And let's hope for no more panic attacks! :)

I wasn't sure which forum made the most sense for this question, so I chose this one.

Quick question. Can people on the spectrum be sensitive to certain noises/sounds? My boyfriend gets very agitated when I clear my throat (which is related to allergies and I don't even notice I'm doing it); but he doesn't seem particularly sensitive to loud noises per se, which I understood can be grating to aspies. Am I misunderstanding this? He will give me a warning by saying "noises", and sometimes I can tell he's on the verge of losing it.

Last night we went to bed late and he was tired. I didn't even realize I was making the "noises" when he said tersely, "What's wrong with you? You need to see a doctor. Stop with the noises!"

I was taken aback and hurt. Then we exchanged some harsh words. I was so angry about it but later started wondering if he might be more sensitive to certain sounds that most people can tune out???

He has very little insight into his aspie quirks/traits (or at least he doesn't share them with me), so lots of times I'm trying to go back and piece things together without his input. His reaction just seemed so out of proportion to the annoyance.
I know I certainly am. I HATE the sound of knives sharpening. But I don't get scared of that. What DOES terrify me is loud, constant noise. I get really scared and sometimes I lose it entirely, and then one of my friends has to come and 'rescue' me. And then I usually end up shaking from fear and embarrassment.
So yeah.
It's not too good.
Can anyone relate to this?!?!?
(Sorry I veered off topic a bit)

I would ditch that boyfriend ASAP. just an opinion. anyways, it depends on the nature of the noise, if it is sharp I can't tolerate more than a moment of it. dull noises, as long as they are not too intense/penetrating, I can tolerate for quite a long time but when the noise abates, I heave a sigh of relief.

I hate cars during on expressways, and the constant sounds of airplanes over head. Living near one of the world’s busiest airports, and several interstate highways doesn’t help. Even in the woods, I hear those sounds. I do like the sounds of trains though, and have a freight line crossing right behind me all day and night. It’s a soothing sound.

For me, sounds are a killer. Crunching pop cans are one. A coworker did that today and it just drove me crazy. I am hard of hearing, but when I hear certain sounds, it makes me cringe. Sometimes sound creates a meltdown. So I have to be careful.

I am very sensitive to loud noises. I don't like timers going off, dogs barking, the sound of footsteps, or other annoying noises. Sometimes I can't even surf the web without being startled by the sound of an ad or popup.

I never knew the scientific word for it- misophonia. Thanks for sharing that and your experience. It's good you are aware so you can avoid certain activities and places, but I'm sure you sometimes get stuck in situations where you may not be able to control for it. If that happens, what do you do to cope? Is there anything that works?

Sorry to say, I have never found a coping mechanism for misophonia. I live a reclusive life with an understanding wife and appreciate a quiet controlled environment.

New Threads

Top Bottom