• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Angelman Syndrome and Autism

Dadwith2Autisticsons

V.I.P Member
Hi Everyone. I was just curious if any here with an Autism type condition had seizures, balance or movement disorders, or considered themselves very sociable, friendly and laughing a lot, too. If so, you might want to check Angelman Syndrome too, a rarer condition, but sometimes persons diagnosed with Autism could have that, or dual diagnoses.

Thanks for the link. The reason I asked the group is our youngest nonverbal son Dylan, age 5, who was diagnosed with Autism because of being very developmental delayed and possessing all the major core components of that, however, is also laughing and smiling much of the day. He is very clingy and affectionate, and has some other signs of that rarer condition, like smaller head, hyperactivity and swallowing issues, besides his severe delays.

Dylan does not however have seizures, and we do not notice any jerky muscle issues. Dylan though does not walk, but run throughout the home, so we are unsure if that is a movement disorder, or could be just suspected ADHD related. He has about 70% of the main traits of Angelman, but to be sure we will ask his pediatrician for a genetic blood test as they say a certain test can detect up to 80% of the cases. Other websites say Autism and Angelman have similaries, but again, there are some distinct differences.

New Threads

Top Bottom