• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Am I too old school?

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
A speaker at camera club tonight, mentioned one thing about photography

How his videos/reels get far more attention now than his still photos, and his photos are incredible! He does wildlife photography as a business, so he does have to pay attention to trends, but said a photo that got 5000 likes four years will typically get 400 likes now, whereas his reels get tons of attention

I have almost zero interest in making videos, still don't the more I think about it, and photography isn't my business either, so I don't "have to" start making videos, and it's not just because the editing of them seems like it's over my head, as I am a rather simple photo editor to begin with

And I do enjoy the challenge of still photography... I used to do lots of stage performance photography at festivals, but got bored of that... But at the time I thought about how doing video might be another option (a better option?) for capturing dance... Yet I always relished the challenge of getting the great single photo of a dance performance, and still very much feel the same way

Just a random thought...

And the other anorak fact about this discussion, you can't hang a video on the wall :cool:

TikTok is huge, and Instagram and Facebook followed suit trying to cater to audience appeal with reels.
They seem to have mass appeal as people don't have to concentrate very long before the video is over.

Stick with what you feel most comfortable with. Beyond Facebook for my art page, I don't really dedicate time to social media platforms. What I mostly use is Messenger and WhatsApp to message friends. The golden era for me was MSN, and Messenger and WhatsApp replicates that perfectly for me.

I know that the business savvy can score big with social media profiles and generate huge income. For me, whilst I'd love to make a living from what I create - I don't wish to partake in the social media and popular culture drudgery.

Ed

A speaker at camera club tonight, mentioned one thing about photography

How his videos/reels get far more attention now than his still photos, and his photos are incredible! He does wildlife photography as a business, so he does have to pay attention to trends, but said a photo that got 5000 likes four years will typically get 400 likes now, whereas his reels get tons of attention

I have almost zero interest in making videos, still don't the more I think about it, and photography isn't my business either, so I don't "have to" start making videos, and it's not just because the editing of them seems like it's over my head, as I am a rather simple photo editor to begin with

And I do enjoy the challenge of still photography... I used to do lots of stage performance photography at festivals, but got bored of that... But at the time I thought about how doing video might be another option (a better option?) for capturing dance... Yet I always relished the challenge of getting the great single photo of a dance performance, and still very much feel the same way

Just a random thought...

And the other anorak fact about this discussion, you can't hang a video on the wall :cool:
I am also thinking that the "still photo" is quickly becoming a niche form of art and displaying imagery. I have an Instagram account and when I post photos, I will get a handful of people respond, but when I do short videos, I receive a much better response. I do admit, though, that for everyday sorts of imagery, the short video tends to be more interesting. However, I still do appreciate a well-done photo, enlarged, and framed for display. Some imagery really stands out and needs to be appreciated within a "still" format.

Not saying I will follow the trends, just an interesting point of view, and maybe I knew this without it being said by someone else

I do think that the genre of street photography is more suitable to a still image, besides I'm working more towards not caring that much how many likes I get anyway... In day to day life I meet friends who tell me they enjoy the photos, some who don't "like" the photos...

Funny, everything loses favor to the next upgrade in tech. However, it still has it's place- beautiful photo. You could try a short stint of videos just as an experience only. As we get older, we are less willing to try new things sometimes. I push myself to adopt trying things outside of my comfort zone, to shake up my thinking, to stay open to ideas.

Funny, everything loses favor to the next upgrade in tech. However, it still has it's place- beautiful photo. You could try a short stint of videos just as an experience only. As we get older, we are less willing to try new things sometimes. I push myself to adopt trying things outside of my comfort zone, to shake up my thinking, to stay open to ideas.

I can be a stick in the mud sometimes

This is one case where I don't personally feel the need to change, but I hear what you're saying...

I see photography and video as completely different mediums. Where one does not inevitably lead to the other. Nope-nope-nope. That is all.

No. You are not too old school. You have a foothold into a niche in the photography industry that many people prefer. I lust after film cameras and old school photo processing. I miss my Canon Rebel.

LOL! I still miss silver-based films.

Street photography is all about capturing the decisive moment. When you shoot a street video, you are doing a behavioral study. Different things.

I see photography and video as completely different mediums. Where one does not inevitably lead to the other. Nope-nope-nope. That is all.

I agree, but you know the lines are being blurred now with video capability on every new camera now... Some cameras are being sold and marketed for video...

No. You are not too old school. You have a foothold into a niche in the photography industry that many people prefer. I lust after film cameras and old school photo processing. I miss my Canon Rebel.
I'm just putting a thought out that's all, nothing too major

I agree, but you know the lines are being blurred now with video capability on every new camera now... Some cameras are being sold and marketed for video...
Sounds like you have to decide whether or not as a hobby, you do this for yourself, or for an audience. If the latter more than the former, perhaps it isn't a hobby any more.

Sounds like you have to decide whether or not as a hobby, you do this for yourself, or for an audience. If the latter more than the former, perhaps it isn't a hobby any more.

Not at all, just a thought I picked up from last night

Joe, who spoke last night, is running a photography business, I think mostly based on people who pay him to be a photo guide... That thing rich people can easily afford... He does have to promote his tours, which he uses some video/reels for promotional work, he also has a partner who is far more proficient with video stuff

I'm nowhere doing this, even if I wanted to

Not at all, just a thought I picked up from last night

Joe, who spoke last night, is running a photography business, I think mostly based on people who pay him to be a photo guide... That thing rich people can easily afford... He does have to promote his tours, which he uses some video/reels for promotional work, he also has a partner who is far more proficient with video stuff

I'm nowhere doing this, even if I wanted to
It's a business for him. A hobby for you. Right?

But "old school" to me connected to photography means film cameras. End of an era watching the last of the conventional camera equipment and film stores go under.

Talk about "old school"....Adolph Gasser. Now there was a store. Gone now...

Last edited:
Correct

I only posted this as a general discussion on photographic approaches, or at least that was intent
No point in following his experience. A very different animal. Reminds me of an insurance adjuster who used to moonlight as a videographer, specializing in weddings. He used to love it, but in time grew to hate it.

I tried 8mm video many years ago...came to the conclusion it was a stupid investment. Preferred photography, regardless of how video or anything else was trending.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom