1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured Am I too modest? Too hard on myself?

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by Sherlock77, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Sherlock77

Sherlock77 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I came back from my annual Remembrance Day photoshoot day, one of my photographic obsessions being military ceremonies and special days

At the end of the day I felt like I didn't have "that much" good material from this year, I certainly feel like I've had far better years... At one point I felt very uninspired when I first got there, and that didn't change much...

Once I posted my photos, everyone was all over them, even fellow photographers who should know better:rolleyes: and while I will take compliments, I still feel like my batch of photos this year wasn't all that good

Then again I have been known to be rather hard on myself...

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Fino

Fino Alex V.I.P Member

I wanna see some of them!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nervous Rex

Nervous Rex High-functioning autistic V.I.P Member

I’ve found that this rule always works:

If you are human, you are probably too hard on yourself.

Whatever flaws you saw in your work, look at them as opportunities for improvement. But don’t let them take away from how good your work was. Take the compliments. An appraisal that only considers the flaws is just as dishonest as one that ignores all the flaws.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Sherlock77

And I do have a tendency to push myself extra hard on Remembrance Day, because I'm so passionate about it

• Like Like x 2
  5. Nervous Rex

I think this may be a common ASD behavior. One of the social skills we seem to lack (this is me wildly generalizing) is the ability to internalize input from others. If a lot of people tell an NT that they’re great, they believe it, regardless of the lack of merit. If they all gang up on one kid and tell him he’s trash - he believes that, too.

But me - I’m the opposite. When everyone else tells me I’m good, I don’t believe them, regardless of any merit. Sometimes I’ve had to stop myself and deliberately think, “They are saying this is good. They must all see something good in it. I should believe them, even if I don’t see it.”

All the photographers that “should know better.” Maybe they do. Maybe they saw “better” and knew it the moment they saw it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Nervous Rex

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. NothingToSeeHere

NothingToSeeHere Asexuowl V.I.P Member

Being your own worst critic is normal human behaviour, I think most people are too hard on themselves, so yeah you probably are.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I didn't look at all, but enough to say you did have some great shots there. The portraits of people wearing poppies really jumped out at me. Excellent clarity and natural composition and just some really evocative faces and expressions. The kind that you see in professional publications.

9. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I don't know the photo world but you might try submitting one of the larger shots for context and 3-4 of the portraits for publication to paper or online periodicals/news sites. Or maybe at least for a contest.

10. Streetwise

Streetwise very cautious contributor V.I.P Member

You could put number five in National Geographic and number six and 10 were very interesting

11. Nervous Rex

Perhaps the next time you don't think you did that great but someone else compliments your work, ask them what they liked about it. You might even say, "I want to know so I can get better at it" so they don't think you're fishing for compliments.

When you hear more concrete details about what they liked, it might help you accept and believe their appraisal.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Sherlock77

I have made some attempts, with no real success so far... And I have had some critiques done a few times... Good thoughts

• Like Like x 1
  13. Streetwise

9D625C71-1A04-4B25-B68B-20B046273BA9.jpeg this is what I remembered 9D625C71-1A04-4B25-B68B-20B046273BA9.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  14. Streetwise

F272B083-92D6-42F5-933B-F54649E2A43B.png 47C46228-FBB8-456B-81D1-FFC5B4A2622D.png and I think this and a purple poppy

• Like Like x 2
  15. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Personally I'm inclined to think that anyone seriously committed to an artistic pursuit MUST be hard on themselves. You don't achieve excellence by being lackadaisical about your craft.

Though I suppose the trick is not letting it get you down to the point of quitting. :oops:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. Sherlock77

You have a point... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1