• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Adulting...

Aye, this sort of thing is worth keeping in mind.

My response to the OP though, aside from that bit, is that not everyone uses their bloody phones the same way.

Like me for instance. I have a phone, an iOS whatever. But unlike my entire family, I dont care about it too much... I never call anyone and mostly only use it as a magical talking map and/or flashlight. If someone sends me a text, I may or may not respond. Sometimes it may take a few days for me to respond, even if I saw the text shortly after it arrived. Other times I may not respond whatsoever.

But this has nothing to do with a lack of respect for people. When I dont respond, there's probably a reason for it. For instance, I'm about as social as an agitated porcupine, so I dont talk to people much anyway, and even in-person, I'm often silent. Also, I often dont HAVE a response. Just because someone says something to me doesnt mean that I actually have an interest in what's being said. If it's a topic I'm interested in, or somehow consider particularly important, I might respond. If it is neither of those things, I'll read it, sure, but why say anything back when I just dont have anything to say?

Other times I'll intend to respond, but wont do so right away. Like yesterday, I got a text from someone I know. But I saw it happen while I was out driving around. I'm not going to sit and type at the godforsaken phone in some blasted parking lot and I sure as heck aint going to touch it WHILE driving. Some number of hours later I gave a response. Right before bed, I think.

But I'm also spacey. Sometimes I intend to respond... but dont do so, because I wont remember to.

Still other times, I simply dont want to. If I'm not feeling up to being "social" or whatever, nothing is going to make me talk to anyone. Period. Unless the situation is freaking *dire*, anyone attempting to message me when I'm in that state of mind will be completely ignored.

....Also I lose the phone alot. Not uncommon for it to spend a week or so under the car seat or something. I'm not going to respond to a text two weeks after the fact. That's just silly.

My point here is: There's ALOT of reasons why someone might not respond to a text. You have no way of knowing what the reason is unless they directly tell you. And some people may just not use their phone much, or not even like the thing (I know I dont). I know society says that everyone glues the blasted things to their faces, but not everyone actually uses them like that.

If you REALLY want to get ahold of someone that badly, texting probably isnt the way to go about it. Most people will have some other dramatically more reliable way of getting ahold of them. Not to mention that texting inherantly sort of says "this message I'm sending you isnt actually that important, that's why I'm sending it like this instead of calling you or talking in person". Alot of people dont really take texting all that seriously.

Haha, true true. And i was driving just before earlier today and my phone just blew up with text messages completely out of the blue. Shocked me, and then i just said "Nup, can't answer you there." so i understand that feeling, and you've listed a lot of reasons why i shouldn't worry aswell. It's just my anxiety get's to me first, and i haven't exactly had the best experiences with people. I get let down. ALOT. So, i am used to jumping head first. If and when i do. I am usually quick to apologize and i just honestly explain to them and they're like "It's cool man" So, yeah. Just need to learn not to stress so much. But, life is cruel. And i mean you see those little green dots on Facebook and whatever all the time, and it's like "Dude, why the hell can't you talk to me right now?" There are times were people just flatout ignore me on purpose. And yes, there may be reasons. But, i can't just cut people off from my life. Gotta deal with it at this point.

Firstly, I'm not very sociable and I'm not interested in birthdays, etc - I say happy birthday to close friends and family, but that's about it. As to whether people say happy birthday to me or not, I really don't care... in fact, I'd rather they didn't, especially on the social media, as mostly they just do the happy birthday thing because they have seen a notification that it's my birthday, they write the happy birthday and then spend the rest of the year ignoring me, so the happy birthday rings shallow and insincere to me. Then I feel obliged to respond, and I'd rather not, not when I know it isn't genuine. I just wish they wouldn't bother. Forced, fake social interaction. On this site, I've hidden my birthday, because I don't want this kind of interaction.

Secondly, people in general really, really suck at written communication. There seems to be this totally different 'etiquette' where it's ok to ignore people, not respond, be indifferent to messages and emails. I'm trying to run a business where I organise language lessons, (I use email because the students are in different countries and it's not practical to use the phone, and I hate the phone anyway) and constantly come against the problem of people not responding to urgent and time sensitive emails, often leaving me in a difficult situation and not able to organise my timetable... constant frustration... though this is different, because it is business rather than social communication, and people really should respond.

I can completely understand where you are coming from, but you seem to be pretty good at being strong. That's a good trait to have. I respect you for that. I forget birthdays alot... Accidentally, most of the time. I'm lucky to get a phone call from a family member to go "It's so-so's birthday today call them" But, i mean there's times were i do, and you just get dead-air. Fake interaction in my opinion is the most painful when it's in your face the whole time. I just can't handle it. I am more then likely to scream internally about it. I'd rather be real and grounded then to be fake.

As Misery said, not everyone uses their phone in the same way.

I'm one of the people on the other side of this who often doesn't respond to texts for days, or at all.

For me texting people takes a lot of mental energy, and a lot of the time I simply don't have the mental energy to spare on responding to a message. Not necessarily because I'm busy, but just because day to day life is exhausting and texting is one of the things that I don't have to deal with if I don't want to.

I'm also forgetful, I will read a message when I'm busy to check it's not urgent and then put it down fully intending to reply later, and then forget all about it. I am often in situations where it would be inappropriate or rude to start texting someone.

Finally, I often don't have anything to say in response to messages. I know many people message just to have random chat and feel connected to someone but I can't do that. If I have nothing to say, I have nothing to say. So if I get a message like 'hey' or 'I just saw a movie' or a gif, I'm not going to reply because I have no response to that. If it's a question I am far more likely to answer.

Anyway, the point of this ramble was just to keep in mind that what is going through your head in regarding to not getting a reply may well be completely different to what is going through the head of the person not replying. There aren't really any set social rules around texting the way there is around interacting in person, so the best approach is to have no expectations.

Or you could actually tell these people that their ignoring your messages is upsetting you.

For me, it's people not replying to business, urgent or time critical messages that bothers me, not so much social or chit chat ones, the kind I often get from family members. I often find that I don't have time to reply to those, or I don't know what to say and it can take me a while to respond, but I do try to. But I always try to respond to work-related messages within 24 hours.

Haha, true true. And i was driving just before earlier today and my phone just blew up with text messages completely out of the blue. Shocked me, and then i just said "Nup, can't answer you there." so i understand that feeling, and you've listed a lot of reasons why i shouldn't worry aswell. It's just my anxiety get's to me first, and i haven't exactly had the best experiences with people. I get let down. ALOT. So, i am used to jumping head first. If and when i do. I am usually quick to apologize and i just honestly explain to them and they're like "It's cool man" So, yeah. Just need to learn not to stress so much. But, life is cruel. And i mean you see those little green dots on Facebook and whatever all the time, and it's like "Dude, why the hell can't you talk to me right now?" There are times were people just flatout ignore me on purpose. And yes, there may be reasons. But, i can't just cut people off from my life. Gotta deal with it at this point.

As I've stated elsewhere on this forum (er... I think) online communication just isnt as simple as people seem to think. I've been on the Net since there's BEEN a Net, and that's one lesson I've learned many times over. Those little green dots, or other indications that someone is online? Ignore them. They dont have as much meaning as you think.

Like with the texting, you cant know why someone isnt responding. The machine tells you they are there. But that's just it: It's a simplistic system with zero intelligence. All it registers is that someone has connected to the server. That does not mean they are actually there. Someone's physical presense at the PC is not required for the connection to be maintained. Not to mention the nature of today's computers. They're designed for massive amounts of multitasking, AND serve as huge distractions from basically anything else.

If someone tries to contact me for instance when I'm online, even if I'm sitting right there, there's a really high chance that I wont even spot it. Chances are I'm in some game/program, or maybe using Youtube. And then there's a chance that I'm NOT there, off playing with the dog, or even out of the house entirely. I cant even count the number of times I come back home from the store or something, and find out that someone spent like 20 minutes trying to talk at me. The machine has no idea that I'm not there, so the only option is for that person to figure it out themselves. But it's so easy NOT to figure it out. Instinctually, we feel that we're simply being ignored in that situation. Words are put out there, no response is given... it's a natural response.

My point is, long distance communication of ANY sort just isnt so simple. If you're not physically right there with someone, you cannot, I repeat, *cannot* know for sure that you're being ignored, period.

However, your thoughts on the whole thing are the correct attitude for dealing with it. Frustrated you are, but as you said, you cant just cut people off. That's the correct response. Kudos to you for that.

If you *really* want to know what's going on, the only way to do that is to engage them directly. No tech between you. And ask directly about it. Most people have busy lives and are as easily distracted as a cat, and chances are, the response will fall into one or both of those two things. Keep that in mind as you try to deal with the frustration.

Dont get me wrong: It's certainly possible for someone to be a jerk towards you. But even in that case, you cant quite know the situation. Maybe they're going through depression and stress... maybe some bad event has happened. Who knows? Only they do... unless they tell you. I know I can act like a total snot towards basically everyone if I'm in a bad mood or just plain stressed out. Or in alot of pain. Doesnt mean I have any dislike for whoever I'm snapping at.

Anyway, I hope you can feel better about it. You can always feel free to come to the forum here and vent a bit, if you need to. This place is good for that. Usually.

I don't text message, unless it is out of sheer necessity. Never the less, I wouldn't simply, refrain from acknowledging a person's message, if I were to notice I had received one. If nothing else, I will let the person know that I will get back to them, when able. But, that is just me.

If you think not answering your texts is 'evil', then you have led a very sheltered life.

Also, we all tend to expect that other people will think and feel as we do. They don't.

I have to admit that I ignore practically all attempts at contact, save from my girlfriend. This group includes my parents, brothers and sisters.

I just can't handle people at a time I don't expect their contact. I am far too militantly introverted to respond to anyone. Talking to them is fine as long as I've had a few good hours to prepare on the eventuality of human interaction, but if I can't expect your contact, then ignoring it is. None of this means that I don't like anyone. It's just overwhelming.

HAnd i mean you see those little green dots on Facebook and whatever all the time, and it's like "Dude, why the hell can't you talk to me right now?" There are times were people just flatout ignore me on purpose. And yes, there may be reasons. But, i can't just cut people off from my life. Gotta deal with it at this point.

Just because Facebook (or any other medium with similar indicators) says someone is there doesn't mean they are. When I am 'online' on facebook 99% of the time I am doing something else on my computer with fb open in a tab which I am not paying attention to, or I am not on the computer at all and have just left it on. In the 1% of the time I am actually active on fb I am not necessarily available to chat, I use fb for work sometimes, or I am scrolling with no intention of chatting, or I am chatting with one person with no attention to spare for anyone else.

As far as 'cruel world' goes I'll give you one piece of advice. Its not a good idea to stop and smell the roses when lions are around.

Some people just suck at texting. I'm one of them. I try to respond within a reasonable time, but sometimes life gets in the way. It's not about the other person at all.

Expect less from people, and you'll be less disappointed. This doesn't mean you shouldn't have standards for people (you shouldn't stick by friends who are cruel to you or don't respect your boundaries), but people have different personalities and different ideas of friendship.

Yes, this can be quite painful, especially when you have a history of rejection. I have noticed that there are times when I get a text and I am in the middle of something. I see it go by or I click on it and plan to respond as soon as I can.... but I am so absentminded and unique flying squirrels keep passing me by right when I am preparing to respond. So, that being said, I sometimes wonder if other people are not experiencing these same unique flying squirrels when they are not responding to my texts? But... I have unfriended someone over this. Kinda embarrassing when I think about it. But that was a few years ago. Now I am more likely to respond like the Duck said he responds. Hey Duck! :)

I identify with this a lot. I've got a local friend for years who has become increasingly distant and poor at text responding. While yes, I could lower my expectations and feel less disappointed, that isn't me. I'm a commitment or no commitment kind of person. Either you're my friend, or you're not. I don't play with grey areas. You're in or you're out.

Some friendships are left on the periphery to be more like acquaintances, and that's fine. Its the ones where it seems like you've bonded more and more over time and then, for whatever reason, their behavior starts to make you feel disposable. Its frustrating because most people are indirect. I'm useless at reading between the lines, so spit it out already!

I have one other pair of local friends (a couple) that are quite good at text responding and are willing to hangout a lot, but I find I'm the only one actually initiating any plans. So I backed off and a month goes by and with it goes almost all of my in-person social contact. At a certain point its human nature to want to feel people like you and want to see you. There's all this talk of a lack of reciprocity when you're an Aspie/Autie, yet I find the reverse to be the case. It makes me question if its my fault. Am I just not enjoyable company?

My advice is to focus more on what you DO have. For me, I have a pair of friends I've had for 20 years, both long distance, and both on the spectrum (so they have the same kind of diehard commitment) that I text with/talk to regularly. I am very lucky to have them, even if they're in other states living their own lives far from me. And even if you're out of "people" that you want to give you more focus... how about pets? Hobbies/interests? That's where my energy goes when I feel rejected. Perhaps you need to find someone else with a common special interest. I need to give myself that advice, in fact. I'm feeling very alone and pointless lately.

I may have someone I am trying to become friends with and they text me. I sometimes can respond right away. But sometimes I agonize over what to say or I don't feel mentally prepared or whatever and then sometimes I have to stop and do my best not to obsess over what I should say exactly and then sometimes I forget once I've stopped obsessing and then it's been a week since I replied and I'm now not sure if it's been too long and if I should just not respond because clearly I'll be hated or if I should just respond and say nothing or ....X,Y,Z scenario and then another week goes by...

Oof. I hate this and experience it a lot too. When developing a friendship matters to me, but its a still fairly new... it seems like they're fluent at just having a text conversation, while I agonize and sweat over how I phrase something. It gets to the point where I almost have a mini tantrum if there happens to be someone in the room and there's a time constraint, like needing to be somewhere or they're looking at me like "jeese just send it already!" and I angrily reply, much like a frustrated child, "I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SAY IT!" This happened recently.

Personally, I'd start texting things like, "HELLOOOOOO" or "ARE YOU THERE" or "OH WOW YOU DIED DARN IT" or "HELP I HAVE A GIANT HOTDOG AND CANT FINISH IT MYSELF".

But that would only be if, for some reason, I still wanted them in my life. I'm not sure if that's even possible for me. If someone didn't answer and I tried at least once more, being open to the possibility they forgot or something weird happened, I would just think, "Oh okay, I see. That person is dead to me now."

And then I would intensely hate them for a short period, at which point a funeral would occur in my head, I'd forget them entirely, and if I were to ever see them again I would be absolutely :eek::eek::eek:!!!

I know it's easier said than done, but forget them and find real friends! You're probably awesome and deserve actual friends!

And try not to take their "rejection" personally. Everyone is attempting to form their lives into a specific image in their minds, conscious or not, and the fact that you're not in some dood's image isn't a reflection of you, it's on them.

Good luck! :)

Your username is awesome! :cool:
This made me laugh as it is so much like my partner. He gets really annoyed when people ignore his posts/texts and I have to stop him from sending messages that would sound passive aggressive. I have very good passive aggressive detection skills as I spent 23 years married to someone who excelled at dishing it out. TMI?

I too have this problem and sometimes I do take it personally. To me I understand if you get busy and can not get back right away but to never reply at all is rude. Especially if you acted like your someones friend I think sometimes people just do not really want to be friends anymore and its easier for them to be passive aggressive and ignore you. I try to stick to rule of if they don't answer me once then I never initiate contact again better to be lonely then want attention from someone who is no longer interested in speaking.

This made me laugh as it is so much like my partner. He gets really annoyed when people ignore his posts/texts and I have to stop him from sending messages that would sound passive aggressive. I have very good passive aggressive detection skills as I spent 23 years married to someone who excelled at dishing it out. TMI?

NEI

I don't believe in TMI, unless someone starts discussing bodily functions :D

You can't take it too seriously, pick up the phone and call, send a email, there are other forms of communication.

New Threads

Top Bottom