• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A nice quiet place

Firnafth

Mammalogist
V.I.P Member
Near the forest where I work there is a small town, and the town has a public library. Sometimes I go to the library when I have to kill time, or when I need to decompress.

Often, there are few people in there, and it is very quiet and air-conditioned. I read a fantasy book and sit in a comfy chair and stim a little (I like to bob my head and/or play with my hair. Hopefully it doesn't bother the people there). It feels so good after being frustrated or scared, or after whatever else I may have been doing beforehand.

If I am unlucky, there are people talking in the library and it can drive me nuts! If they are loud, every sentence they say blares at me and invades my attempt to relax. I get tenser than normal.

However, much of the time this is a great place to be. It's the only place where I can sit and feel like I have no obligations to do anything and I can just relax and enjoy the peace and quiet. My apartment is noisy (next to a major street), so even it's not the same.

For me, being peaceful is a rare thing! Does anybody else have a place they can go to find peace and take a break from the rest of Life?

I normally go into my bedroom when everything just feels far too much, but sometimes, that doesn't quite work and I would just go somewhere, sometimes the back garden is a good alternative when the weather is fairly good regardless of the weather really.

Good post though. :)

I hope you don't mind my view (from an NT)...I have always felt the same way. I require solitude to recharge. I hate noise and crowds. I used to go to libraries for the quiet and for the knowledge. Luckily for me...I have been able to structure my life around my needs. I work nights...and usually alone. I stay up all night on my off days because that is my normal sleep cycle since I work all night. Being up on the computer all night on my off days...while I listen to my favorite music...is blissful. I look forward to seeing my son when he wakes up...and I go to sleep...usually until dinner time (my son is studying until then...and then some afterwards).

I used to just walk alone by a river when I was young...and dream of things to come...or I used to pretend I was exploring the mighty Amazon...but I've always loved being alone. My favorite thing was staying up until late and listen to a radio while I sat outside in rainstorms...watching the lightning...assured that no one would be around...and the peacefulness and crispness of the air when the rain stopped.

I frequently retreat into my favorite places I have been...or places I envision would be a perfect place...in my mind...when I must be around others. In solitude one can find freedom...and can truly think with clarity of purpose. I think that many teens would do far better seeking their own council...in quiet thought...rather than seeking the approval of their peers.

When I was a kid, I explored around outside lot by myself. I used to make a collection of sticks of various widths and lengths and classify them according to the weapon I thought they most resembled. Every afternoon I picked one and wandered around with it around the subdivision. I considered it my "territory" and was making sure I knew what was going on in it, like when the fruit trees were producing. I would also climb the tall trees and pretend I was a dragon and make up a natural history about it - what does it look like, what does it eat, etc. I did spend a lot of time by myself.

I've always loved libraries. They also smell good - I love the smell of books both old and new.

I love my bedroom. Though I agree it's unhealthy to stay in your room 24x7, I find some peace in the fact that I can just go to my room; switch on the PC and listen to some music.

Nice quiet places are often difficult to find.
My room whilst effective as a quiet place sometimes can often be disturbed, despite the fact that my room is MY room...
The little bathroom at home is quite a good place to calm down after meltdowns, I have found over the years that I feel quite safe there. Although other bathrooms do not share the same effect.
When I'm out, libraries and bookstores are a very good place when I need quiet. Plus also the book smell is quite soothing.

The place is where you may not expect: the busy shopping center a long bus trip from my home, set in a lush forest and opposite a quaint housing estate.

I find solace in everything swoosh and I hope i can wear all of the Nike stuff I can see.

As long as there is the Nike sign, i feel content. i don't need Armani!

Alas, Newcastle's sponsors are little-known Puma... But the juventus shirt looks so alike, and it's Nike too.

Nike fetishism?

PS Arsenal's kit suppliers are Nike so I like to see those red-based home kits. :)

I use to love retreating to a nice calm quite place...my favorites use to include walking along the railroad tracks next to lake, or sitting on next to the lake and watching birds and the occasional boat, or going to the picnic bench area near the lake, I also enjoyed pacing my driveway or going for walks late at night midnight to 3am and listening to the crickets and staring at the moon and stars...however, now...my neighborhood has gained late night traffic (cars going by every few minutes even at 2am), the lakes have become contested with boaters and people fishing...it upsets me in general...I don't begrudge the people driving by, or at the lake...I just miss the solitude, almost like I no longer belong there, or my personal area has been invaded...oh, well.

I do enjoy book stores...however, from the late night strolls you might have guessed, one of my sensory issues is bright lights...I'm not fond of high pitched noises either.

My apartment is my quiet place. I like to go and stay there, when the world gets to be too much for me.

I don't have a quiet place anymore, I need one. My house is never quiet.

I'm like you, I love to have a quiet place to go to where I can be myself and not feel like the world is closing in on me. My apartment usually is pretty quiet unless my rude neighbors are making noise, which is more often than I would like. My wife and I are hoping to get a house in an area where we have some property or in a more open area where we don't have to worry about others making noise. When I was in college, I loved heading to the school library and finding a corner somewhere that I could go to where it was peaceful.

I am still looking for a quiet place. Sometimes it is my office in my house, where I sit at my PC and listen to music. Sometimes I walk in the park across the street if there aren't too many people there. But itis the deep silence of the country that I crave, where the only sounds are those of wind moving through trees, bird song and maybe the trickle of a nearby stream...Sigh.

My favorite quiet place is by the clothes dryer on a wet winters day, no bugs me there, I can concentrate and read and I find the hum of the dryer soothing, also I like the feel of the warm, damp air coming out from it, that has been my quiet spot at home for many years. I anyone comes in I can get very annoyed and have to stop reading until they go, oddly I started enjoying having a fan going in my room so it must be the flow of air that calms me down (as a kid the only bit I liked about haircuts was the hair dryer). Our street is quiet and on fine evenings I love going for a walk just pacing and thinking or looking up at the stars.

For me to unwind I will go for a walk to reflect upon things, then may type it out on the computer later on if use full for me.

warwick

Being at home alone in my apartment is my preferred environment, because when I'm at home I don't have to deal with the outside world. It's a little noisy because I live on a trafficky street, but aside from that, I love the perfect solitude.

For outside, I do have a favorite exterior place; it's a local forest parkland where I feed the geese, swans, etc, and if the weather's not bad I sit down there by the water and spend a couple of hours with the waterbirds sitting on the bank around me. I get an enormous recharging of my batteries by being around these birds at close quarters; it's my therapy. There is something about the company of animals that does positive things I can't describe.

Unfortunately, the experience is easily ruined by any person who stops to chat with me, completely re-injecting the human element -- and it's too much human contact that runs my batteries down in the first place. This summer was particularly bad for people in the park invading my space with the birds, and it started to drive me crazy. When the weather got more miserable, fewer people went there for pleasure, so now I get to be alone there again. My time with the wild birds is extremely important to me now.

I go outside to the backyard unless dad goes out there. I want to be alone because of his Alzheimer's. Sometimes it's too much for me to handle, and I want to get along with him but it's so hard when he's becoming what I used to be, and now on top of this is basically a 3 year old in a 71- year old's body. It. SUCKS.

I also stay in my room sometimes because I can lock the door. It's nice.

Sometimes I will go out of my way and drive to a park, or just go on a drive with my favorite music blasting just to get my mind off of things. Or I go to my fiance's new place where people won't tell me what to do.... except now one of his roommates suddenly has issues. Ugh. I really don't want to talk about it. lol

One thing I need to learn to do more of is to relax and unwind. Being by self can help. one thing I red this year is that an introvert recharges their batteries by being alone and an extrovert needs other people to recharge off.

Being at home alone in my apartment is my preferred environment, because when I'm at home I don't have to deal with the outside world. It's a little noisy because I live on a trafficky street, but aside from that, I love the perfect solitude.

For outside, I do have a favorite exterior place; it's a local forest parkland where I feed the geese, swans, etc, and if the weather's not bad I sit down there by the water and spend a couple of hours with the waterbirds sitting on the bank around me. I get an enormous recharging of my batteries by being around these birds at close quarters; it's my therapy. There is something about the company of animals that does positive things I can't describe.

Unfortunately, the experience is easily ruined by any person who stops to chat with me, completely re-injecting the human element -- and it's too much human contact that runs my batteries down in the first place. This summer was particularly bad for people in the park invading my space with the birds, and it started to drive me crazy. When the weather got more miserable, fewer people went there for pleasure, so now I get to be alone there again. My time with the wild birds is extremely important to me now.
I can so relate to this! Where I live, there is a big nature park where some horses are apt to hang out. One of the most meaningful days I can remember having is when my then fiance and I were walking down a trail longing to get a glimpse of these fabled horses. We spotted them hanging out in a grove of trees way on the other side of the park. So as not to disturb them, we started to walk away. Then one of the horses; a mare and her colt, actually started to follow us! I was thrilled and nervous at the same time but felt honored that they had sought me and my guy out. they followed us quite a way, then stopped. As we rounded a bend in th road, there was another horse. Some people were petting it and feeding it but it broke away and started to follow me! That was a very special day, to be sure. Time and again I have returned there, but no horses in sight and far too many people wanting to exchange meaningless smiles and language. Animals are so much more soothing to be around!

One thing I cherish is a set of CDs I have that I bought decades ago. Sound effects of the Amazon jungle. Put it on my sound system and it takes me to a very different place. Nice...

I can so relate to this! Where I live, there is a big nature park where some horses are apt to hang out. One of the most meaningful days I can remember having is when my then fiance and I were walking down a trail longing to get a glimpse of these fabled horses. We spotted them hanging out in a grove of trees way on the other side of the park. So as not to disturb them, we started to walk away. Then one of the horses; a mare and her colt, actually started to follow us! I was thrilled and nervous at the same time but felt honored that they had sought me and my guy out. they followed us quite a way, then stopped. As we rounded a bend in th road, there was another horse. Some people were petting it and feeding it but it broke away and started to follow me! That was a very special day, to be sure. Time and again I have returned there, but no horses in sight and far too many people wanting to exchange meaningless smiles and language. Animals are so much more soothing to be around!

I so agree! Animals are amazing -- there's something about their different kind of energy that soothes me and kind of heals me from the depleting things human company can do to me. How cool that those horses followed you! I do think animals respond to someone who is interested and kind -- they pick up on micro-muscle movements and that's a large part of how they seem to know what a person's intentions or wishes are. Those horses knew you were oriented toward wanting to encounter them more closely! Animals are amazing.

New Threads

Top Bottom