• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Frightening New Service

wanderer03

Normally, I like my posts to be absent of hyperbole but I read about this new service on CNN called Peeple. Essentially, this is a service that lets people anonymously rate each other and this is frightening because of the amount of personal, professional, and psychological damage that can be done. The idea of rating people like you would a business is astoundingly bad and some of the most vulnerable are people with disabilities. Many of us have been mistreated by society and employers and the last thing we need is a large amount of potentially negative, opinion-based data being easily searchable.

Such an app will probably be optimal for sixth-graders and lawyers specializing in litigation. :rolleyes:

I agree. This does sound very creepy. I hope it goes away very fast.

I'm almost a bit angry at CNN for writing about it. It sounds like another internet site that could easily die or at least be unimportant as a result of underuse, not being known, and lack of publicity-so why is CNN giving it publicity?

I'm almost a bit angry at CNN for writing about it. It sounds like another internet site that could easily die or at least be unimportant as a result of underuse, not being known, and lack of publicity-so why is CNN giving it publicity?
This makes me angry too.

This reminds me of Honesty Box, an app on facebook that allowed people to leave anonymous messages for other users. Invariably the users who installed this app were extremely insecure and the people who responded were bullies who saw an opportunity to troll someone with zero repercussions.

My only hope for this website (short of them getting shut down in a lible suit) is that people will realize how distorted and unrealiable such reviews are and just ignore it.

I think there is already some strong backlash against it. Best we can hope for is that it dies on the table.

I saw some posts about that one of the app's founders is not happy with the negative backlash and is trying to censor it. Apparently she's been asking how to turn off comments on the app's public updates.

The judge doesn't like being judged.

Good-ish news: the CBC was reporting this afternoon that the "service" had been shut down, at least for the time being, and the founder had disappeared from social media (lucky her).

I have two flags that I fly at any and all services like the one you mentioned, one flag I call left the other right :smilingimp:.

New Threads

Top Bottom