• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A defense of marriage

Oh wow, would have never guessed you as conservative Calvinist. I've had some bad past experiences with Calvinists, and I've spoken out against them a lot. Your post makes me a little more optimistic.

Since most of in this community are autistic, bluntness is something we should expect, but it also obliges us to be tolerant of it in others and willing to accept apologies when they're willingly offered.
We make mistakes but we can learn from them too.
The version(s) of Christianity and Atheism that you have in the US are very different from that which we see over here. Whilst I've met a few angry Christians and Atheists here they do seem to be in a minority. Most religious people seem to keep it to themselves and practice their belief without treading on anyone's toes.
Religion looks like it's fun and rewarding when shared with like minded people and that should be respected. Those of us who don't share the belief don't feel like we're missing anything and deserve equal respect.

Oh wow, would have never guessed you as conservative Calvinist. I've had some bad past experiences with Calvinists, and I've spoken out against them a lot. Your post makes me a little more optimistic.

Actually, I'm one of the most liberal persons you'd ever meet, but due to where I live, family ties, tradition, etc., I still attend my childhood church, going on 60 years now. The only person in the church with whom I freely speak about theology, issues, questions and my personal beliefs is the minister. He is awesome and a free thinker. He, too, has questions and reservations about church teachings. I don't think it is wrong to have questions about one's religion, and it helps one to grow. Otherwise, a religion can become just another cult with unquestioning followers.

Because I know I can be controversial, I try to limit religious conversations with fellow members, which include my neighbors, relatives, childhood friends, dentist, mailman, etc. at a very superficial level - those NT (neuro-typical, not New Testament) small talk pleasantries that come easier to NTs than to those on the spectrum.

For Political Discussion please use this area> Politics Discussion

Topic of this thread is religious aspects of marriage.
Please direct further comments toward that topic.

I.don't tend to talk religion with many people at all, and I am scared to go anywhere near most Christians and to be frank with them about my beliefs as I'm aware I don't fit in to any "conventional" Christian categories and I'm worried my beliefs would be considered too controversial or challenging or threatening in some way.

I'm very scared of "cultish" anything so, so far church hasn't been something I could commit to, but then, there's really nothing available where I live, thst I could get to anyway.

I.believe in the sanctity of marriage and family.

I especially love "the red words".

I'm not married, in the state sanctioned or celebrant approved or church ceremony way, but I believe "God is Love" and "The Kingdom of Heaven is within" and so I believe that, because I deeply love my partner/man friend/best friend, that I am married in the eyes of God.

I cannot afford to take the next step and have a ceremony, and believe me, when I say I cannot afford it, I really mean that. I would only do it with our children all present, and it's complicated, anyway, he's never asked me and I'm not pressuring him. I'm content that I have someone, as my companion, who cherishes me and cares for me deeply and we have a lot of fun and iove and we support each other and are very honest and kind to one another.

Last edited:
Paul also wrote that women cannot wear pants or cut their hair. I guess we can pick and chose which of the Apostles' directives we want to follow. He also said that a little wine is good for the stomach which totally blows apart the segment of "Christianity" that vilifies alcohol consumption, as if Jesus' first miracle of turning water into wine at a wedding party and the consumption of wine at the Last Supper were not sufficient evidence that alcohol is okay with God. Catholic nuns take vows of chastity, poverty and obedience. There is no mention of sobriety. :D
I agree. A minority of stuff in the bible is optional. I believe such is the case for the role of a married man and woman. There is nothing in the bible that states that my future wife ABSOLUTELY has to submit to me. Heck, what if I want to be the submissive one? What if I end up being submissive on one occasion and she ends up being submissive on a separate occasion.

Since most of in this community are autistic, bluntness is something we should expect, but it also obliges us to be tolerant of it in others and willing to accept apologies when they're willingly offered.
We make mistakes but we can learn from them too.
The version(s) of Christianity and Atheism that you have in the US are very different from that which we see over here. Whilst I've met a few angry Christians and Atheists here they do seem to be in a minority. Most religious people seem to keep it to themselves and practice their belief without treading on anyone's toes.
Religion looks like it's fun and rewarding when shared with like minded people and that should be respected. Those of us who don't share the belief don't feel like we're missing anything and deserve equal respect.
Now that I read that, I momentarily wanted to move to the U.K. It seems like you guys are much calmer over there.

And, actually, as far as the marriage thing - I have not managed to master it myself and can give better advice on what NOT to do. :) I did figure out twice why it's not recommended to marry out of faith - I did and it was to someone with no scruples and no reason to have any scruples. I remember once getting yelled at for going to church - but I kept going anyway. :)

What does "celibate" mean?

Abstaining from marriage and sexual relations, typically for religious reasons. (Although in my case it is perhaps a mix of religious reasons and the fact that I hate socializing and getting married sounds like a pain.)

Abstaining from marriage and sexual relations, typically for religious reasons. (Although in my case it is perhaps a mix of religious reasons and the fact that I hate socializing and getting married sounds like a pain.)
Oh, okay thanks for telling. I'm 16, so I'm not familiar with several fancy words.

New Threads

Top Bottom