• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

2023 Cultural Trip.

Gerald Wilgus

V.I.P Member
My spouse and I enjoy a cultural fix at times. So, we are finalizing a trip to NYC. There we will see two Sondheim musicals; a revival of Merrily We Roll Along with Daniel Radcliff, and Here We Are, his final play based on the films, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie and The Exterminating Angel. Finally we will see Hadestown, about the tale of Orpheus and Eurydice and set in a timeless steampunk dystopia. I hope to get to the American Museum of Natural History, also.

I feel so happy that she not only likes outdoor activities, but also the theater.

A few years ago, a colleague and I were at a medical conference in Brooklyn, NY. We stayed for 3 days. It was quite the cultural experience just being amongst the people and the city. (1) Things like "calling for a car". You have an app or two, call for your car, someone is right there within a few minutes. Folks living there have little need for owning a vehicle. (2) Sidewalk vendors with fresh fruit and veggies, magazines and newspapers, personal products, etc. and they leave them there overnight. Does anyone steal? NO they do not. The people living there "will take care of their own" if you catch my drift. The street gangs protect the vendors. There's a strong sense of community. (3) Fantastic service and large food portions at restaurants. I have never in my life had such great personal service when walking into any restaurant, and we at at quite a few. The owners are there to greet you at the door with a smile and talks you up like you're his/her best friend he/she hasn't seen in a while and you are visiting their home. Polite. The great food and huge portions. Well, plan on boxing up your leftovers because you won't be able to eat it all. (4) Redundancy in services. When I say this, every few blocks is a "mom and pop" neighborhood grocery, barber/hair salon, places where you buy clothing, flowers and plants, etc. No "big box" stores. We didn't travel into Manhattan or the Wall Street districts, this was Brooklyn, more the "everyday, middle-class and poor". I don't recall seeing any homeless on the streets in Brooklyn. Big apartment buildings with storefronts on the street level. Hotels were very nice, but tucked in on a side street, and were not of the popular chains like Hilton, Days Inn, Holiday Inn, etc., but were, again, more of the "mom and pop", small business owner type. Lots of people, 4 lanes of traffic going each way with a median in the middle. The city moves quickly. No time to stop. If you do, get yourself off to the side because people are walking in mass and quickly. Interesting thing, I felt completely safe. It was not quite what I had expected, but in a good way.

At any rate, have a great time. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom