• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your surroundings when on this forum

Pats

V.I.P Member
I thought it would be fun to see what everyone is looking at while talking on this forum. Here is where I am and what I see. I'd love to see your what you're seeing right now. Care to share?
IMG_0251.JPG

And I wonder how our immediate environment affects our moods. This may seem a little cluttered to some of you, but it's me. All the things that are currently surrounding me are me. Enlarged photos of family, things I've seen and places I've been that mean something to me. Calendar made for me by a couple of my grandkids. Always need to have immediate access to pens and paper. Just things that make me comfortable and happy. :)

To my left; a small handbag, pencil case, a white board (plus marker pen & eraser), lone hair tie, water bottle and a hand-sized basketball.

Whereas to my right; four folders of varying sizes scattered about, lined paper, class notes, sketch book (plus sketching pencils), glue stick and a set of highlighters.

Now I'll get into why this is the case.

Handbag- Easy to pack a few things into it if I need to go somewhere that I won't be staying at very long. Most of the time I use a different handbag, but it depends on the situation.

Pencil case- Quick access to my pens and pencils if I want to jot down information, or just to doodle.

White board- I usually write down my main aim of the day, but I may also draw rather simple outlines of my ideas on this until I have something more tangible.

Hair tie- Typically I keep my hair down, but I like to keep it around in case of a bad hair day or if it's particularly windy outside. However, it's not my only one.

Water bottle- Fairly self-explanatory.

Hand-sized basketball- I actually bought this for a photography project, when we were tasked with capturing movement. However, I've kept it around since then. I tend to dislike it when my hands are idle for too long. Sometimes when I'm listening to music or casually brainstorming to myself I'll absentmindedly play with it. However, if I need to focus more then I'll put it away.

My four folders- One is filled with a couple of interesting pages (such as recipes) but it is fairly empty.

The next is what I like to call my inspiration folder. That's where I store various sketches, short stories and a few written poems. Some are for concepts I haven't fully expanded on yet, and other works are simply from projects that I think went well.

As for the third folder, that's filled with work that I am less happy with.

The final folder is full of old maths homework.

Lined paper- To write information on.

Class notes- Written in short-hand, I type these up later and then write them out again in full in order to remember.

Sketch book & pencils- Currently I'm practising (and trying to improve upon) my ability to draw people and clothing.

Glue stick & highlighters- I don't use the glue much, if at all. The highlighters may come in handy though.

Last edited:
I see a lamp, lotion, a cup of pencils, pens and a ruler, a liquid motion timer, a pencil sharpener, a jar with Winnie the Pooh characters silhouetted on it, a small baby buddha statue, a small fan, chapstick, index cards, cologne, a glasses cleaner cloth, and a water bottle. :)

Yours doesn't seem cluttered at all! :D

ao1.JPG

The main things on my desk are the HP 635 laptop, the Logitech mouse and SIIG external keyboard and the cheap CB speaker (behind the magnifying glass) that are needed because none of those things included with the computer work anymore, and the Yaesu FT-950 amateur radio transceiver. Usually I would have the microphone looped around the neck of the lamp and the headphones stashed underneath, but those have been stashed in a drawer temporarily because the maid is coming on Friday.

On the right corner of the desk is a MFJ Artificial Ground, ham radio gear needs to be adequately grounded to the earth via copper pipes, which is difficult when all your pipes are plastic. :p:confused: The artificial ground is a somewhat adequate substitute. On top of that is a battery charger for the battery (behind it) that I run my radio off of.

The house solar panel array puts out "dirty power" that confuses the radio, so I have to run it directly off 12 volts, which most ham gear runs off of. At home hams tend to use huge external power supplies that convert 120 volts AC to 12 volts DC. The charging clips are hooked to a small solar panel in the window. I only use the big charger when voltage gets too low for the solar panel.

On top of the Yaesu: a small lamp with a blacklite bulb, a clock from Europe set to UTC (standard time in international telecommunications) with a little chart to convert 1300-0000 time to 12 hour time, a cheap clock radio for local time, and a volt/amp meter for monitoring the battery, with a small computer fan to act as a counterpoise for the amp meter circuit. The little orange blob on the clock is my little Garfield figurine which has been guarding my desk clock since I was in middle school in the late 80s.

To the left of the PC is a pad and pen for note writing (I use While You Were Out pads flipped upside down), a cheap calendar and a magnifying glass to read it since I'm old, a little bit of a bronze figurine from Hollywood and part of a Troll which was an early 90s toy that was briefly popular (mine says "All American") can be seen, and a Buddha guarding a computer network hub switch that acts as a signal booster. You can also see my amateur radio license.

ao2.JPG

This is to my left and has a couple important things. The table was bought by me in 1994 when I lived in San Francisco for a place to put a lamp and a landline telephone. Now it holds an atomic clock that is the "baseline clock" for all others in the house and the remains of a slice of silicon ingot from dot.com-era Silicon Valley. It was packed in with some clothes at some point. :eek::rolleyes: Fortunately it's wrapped in plastic. Originally the top drawer was for computer disks for school, the middle drawer was timetables and maps for SF Bay Area public transit systems, and the bottom drawer was for the phone book. Today all drawers are mostly just small electronics and random junk.

workstation.jpg

Here's my main workstation system. It's messy because I do a lot of projects on it. But this is where I go to access this website.

I decided to try panoramic shots. Did they turn out well? Maybe.

Pano1.jpg

My room. It is a hideous mess. The whole "3 doors next to each other" thing has always seemed odd to me, but I'm not a house scientist, what do I know. Ceiling is very high, I'd have to stand on the bed to reach the pull things that control the big fan up there, so that's annoying. Cant imagine who thought that was a good idea. This is where I have my meals, as I dont like having them in the cavernous main space of the house. Too open. For whatever reason that bugs me while eating. I like small spaces like this.

Pano2.jpg

The basement. There's too much to show in one shot. You could fit another freaking house in here, in terms of floor space, and I mean that literally. I've never liked this place, but... my gaming PC, that big monolith on the left, was moved down here to have space for the VR stuff. But also, this is the dog's Super Fun Time Happy Zone. He loves it down here. There is alot of space to play fetch. I am not allowed down here without him. He came up with that rule (no seriously he'll flip out if I come down here without him). Computer is currently inactive due to an obviously set up game there. Normally the monolith blazes a bright purple color (or any other color I might switch it to). The weird thin things sticking up from the desk are for the VR setup. They are taped to the desk so that they cannot be even slightly moved (otherwise I have to do the setup all over again... ugh). The ESPN thing isnt mine, that's always been there. I'm definitely NOT a sports fan. There are 2 closets down here, both of them huge. One is the "Christmas room" where holiday stuff is stored, and the other is... uh... uhhhh... the closet everyone forgets is there. Seriously I have no idea what's in it. Now it's going to bother me until I go have a look. The door on the far left goes into the Totally Unnecessary Utility Room. Seriously that room is freaking huge.

Also you could not pay me to come down here in the dark. Nope. NOPE. Most places, everything being totally dark doesnt bug me. This is the exception.

I like how you've got @Nitro 's space up on your screen.

And thanks, everyone for sharing your space.

I kinda did that on purpose :)

Picture in picture sort of thing, though I hope that doesn't start a chain. "YOU MAY SUFFER" and all that...and for some reason, I want my very own LED sign now.

New Threads

Top Bottom