• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your favorite genre of book

Definitely a fan of science fiction. But speculative fiction generally gets me interested--I've read some dystopias, alternate histories, a lot of Stephen King and some HP Lovecraft. I enjoy a bit of fantasy as well. But I could likely count on one hand the number of authors I've liked who were not science fictions writers, and some of them actually wrote the books I liked in the other genres as well. I think in part, what attracts me is style and voice.

I've even found some literary fiction enjoyable, but as a genre, it has serious problems. Sometimes they focus too much on the literary and not enough on the fiction; that is, authors in the literary fiction genre have gotten it into their heads somehow that the reason people read fiction is because they want to experience real life--because obviously that could never be experienced directly. Now that's not to say that good fiction can't hold basic truths. I would even say that it has to. But people read books because they want something more than just a sequence of actual or even potential events. And some of these authors can get very clever about the way that they present these events, but that's not a substitute for story-telling. And that's the key here: we want to be told a story. We don't want some dull anecdote that's really just another blog entry.

Last edited:
Paranormal romance is the main one I like,one of my favourites is the darkest night by Gena Showalter and it's the first book in the lords of the underworld series.

My absolute favourite books to read are autobiographies, especially of soldiers who were in wars, and people who were in organised crime families. Reading about really dangerous lives that really happened, but being untouchable and safe because I'm just reading a book, is really interesting to me, and I love seeing how people react to extreme circumstances like soldiers and crime families.

However, my four favourite books of all time have nothing to do with those things (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, King Lear, To Kill A Mockingbird, and Catcher in the Rye). Although Mockingbird and Catcher are written in an autobiographic style.

Action/adventure, sci-fi/science fantasy, superhero. It always kills the ride for me when those genres take on mystical & neo-mythical elements. (It seems too deus ex machina to me.) My favorite format is comic books (but they're too expensive these days).

sci fi, fantasy, historical fiction, i also like classics, odd books about random and weird things and fiction if it is related to history or an interest. i also read a lot of graphic novels.

Fantasy, historical fiction, ornithological texts, and everything else. Except poetry. Other than good poetry.

Dystopian/post-apocalyptic fiction is my favorite, with historical fiction a close second. I also, like ancusmitis, enjoy literary fiction that has some discernible plot or even just linear character arc; it took me a month to just barely stumble through a recent rambling Anne Tyler that was more anecdote than storytelling.

I've gone through almost every genre over my lifetime.The only thing I never could get into was anything focused on sports, cars, or robots.

New Threads

Top Bottom