• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your favorite genre of book

Keith

I've found dystopian to be the best for me. It's intriguing somehow.

I'VE READ
1984 (twice)
The Speed of Dark (I'd recommend it to anyone with ASD)
Animal Farm

Almost done with Brave New World.

My all time favourites are the Agatha Christie series. Also, love Sherlock Holmes series, so I guess murder mysteries, but always with a twist.

Old romances ie Jane Austin.

The Anne of Green gables. Life stories with impact.

I was just passing a glance over our book shelves and my eyes zoomed into a big juicy book of the Hercule Poriot series and so now reading.

I learned to read when I was 9 and from there, became an avid book reader

I like sci-fi and fantasy, and I can't stand most young adult and dystopian books. I've been reading a lot of manga recently, my favorites being Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Different Story and Death Note.

Spiritually-based (usually Christian) self-help books...not the kind that says, "Just think happy and all will be well", but the kind that really digs into the meaning of life and why it hurts so much and who we are and how to get through it and learn from it all.

Well-written fantasy (Neil Gaiman, Catherynne Valente, et al) and old-school Latin American Magical Realism like Gabriel García Márquez. I can enjoy a Haruki Murakami book on occasion as well.

SciFi! Starfleet Core of Engineers.. could make a real series outa That! Fantasy.. basically anywhere/I'd wanna be other than this odd place, living off the land, happy with the simple basics of life..

Philosophy, preferably Nietzsche.

I don't like books with 'story', main characters. They are just too long for my concentration appetite.
I liked a few sci-fi books, tho. Biographies can be interesting too.

Hard core sci-fi (Alistair Reynolds, Gibson, Dune, etc.)

Fantasy (Tolkien, Rothfuss, etc)

Philosophy

Physics

Self-help

Keith, if I didn't like 1984, would I like the Speed of Dark? 1984 was atmospheric, but I didn't like the grimy atmosphere. uck. It's kind of like that Ayn Rand book, Atlas Shrugged, so dreary.

I like short stories. Ray Bradbury, Harlan Ellison, and more recently a guy named Douglas Smith got my attention. Kurt Vonnegut was amusing, but I didn't discover him until later. If I found his work in my teens he might have become an icon to me, who knows.

Psychology. Freud is fun. I also enjoy biographies from that perspective, getting inside someones head, living vicariously.
Classical fiction. I try to be well read.
How-to books. I'm not very crafty, but I like new ideas.

Science fiction and horror. No specific subgrenres, just whatever's available and looks interesting. Oftentimes short fiction.

Non-fiction about human behavior
Children's picture books
YA ('young adult')

I read the newspaper every morning, parts of service manuals and a lot of "stuff" on the internet every day. This keeps me entertained and informed.

'

History,
Neuropsychology (? I think this is the correct label),
autobiographies occasionally,
classic lit & children's lit,
popular science/health

New Threads

Top Bottom