• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"You Guys". What a dumb saying.

Tony Ramirez

Single. True friend's.
V.I.P Member
Really I never said this. I said you people. But many when hanging out with there friends will say "You guys" even when there are girls in the group. Maybe that is why I can never keep friends saying the more common sense "you people".

Yes, 'you guys' is gauche. I only use 'Youse guys'. But in this context 'guys' has become bi-genderal I believe.

I have always liked the term "y'all". English has no distinctive "you" for plural vs. singular, and "y'all" is easy to say. It's colloquial, but the intended reference is clear.

The phrase "you guys" is also fine, though it suggests referring to a group of men, which may also be the case. A lot of people will say "you guys" to include anybody and everybody.

Saying "you people" can be considered rude. It suggests that there is something distinctly different about "them" as opposed to "you", the individual.

To be absolutely clear, name the people you are referring to. Saying "you and ..." covers all your bases. It's clear and proper.

The phrase "you guys" is also fine, though it suggests referring to a group of men, which may also be the case. A lot of people will say "you guys" to include anybody and everybody.
That is why I think it stupid. Even a group of girls hanging out will say "you guys" really.

"You all" is also better to use.

Saying "you people" can be considered rude. It suggests that there is something distinctly different about "them" as opposed to "you", the individual.
I did not know that another Aspie trait. I just really hate saying "you guys" unless they are all guys. So is "you all" better?

I say it too and am always aware when they're not all guys, a little voice in my head.

It seems a bit extreme, though, to not be friends with someone over something like this. :eek:

I say it too and am always aware when they're not all guys, a little voice in my head.

It seems a bit extreme, though, to not be friends with someone over something like this. :eek:
If I can make friends again I would not care much or say anything like it is stupid if they said "you guys" however since I don't it irritates me and I never say it to anyone.

(Not an English speaker.)

Yes, I say it. I work with kids and say it when addressing (part of) the group.
I don't like it (not because there's also girls in the group, but because I feel like I'm unnecessarily genderising (?) something that doesn't need to be).
BUT I've not yet managed to come up with a useful replacement.

I wouldn’t say y’all if you live with Yankees. You might get your ass kicked.
Speaking from experience.

The use of the term "you people" reminds me of basic training in the Army. When the DIs spoke to or about us, we were referred to as "you people". When they spoke to or about a individual, you were referred to as "a troop".

You guys, go check out that thread about the usage of the phrase, "you guys."

Lol. In all seriousness, I use it occasionally and am fully aware when it isn't accurate. I usually lean toward "y'all" in those instances, but I don't really attach much emphasis on gender in my language. I'll refer to females as "dude" sometimes in conversation and won't bat an eyelash. "Dude, check this out." Same kind of thing, really. Sometimes I do it facetiously, other times its just kind of an intentionally casual neutrality.

And on the note of the term "you people," I can't help but chuckle and think back to Tropic Thunder.
"What do you mean, 'You people?'"

I don't use it, either. I always say just "you all", which in English is not gender specific. "You guys" is very chatty or colloquial and not my style, it feels strange and I don't feel comfortable to use it.

Here in Greece, it is even more ridiculous - there is another phrase they use in a similar way, that is "ta pedia". This literally means "the children" and is used in place of "they" regardless of age and gender. So, 60-year-old grandparents are "ta pedia". People use it in place of names, so it becomes impossible to know who they are actually referring to.

New Threads

Top Bottom