• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Yosemite by myself, need tips!

Sabrina

Gentle & brave earthling
I’m going to Yosemite for five days in July, and need your recommendations! I’m still not sure if I’ll go alone or with my boyfriend. I would like to rent a cabain inside the park.
I love hiking but I have to stay in easy trails due to a knee issue that I have.
I plan to arrive to the airport on a Sunday evening and leave on Friday noon.

I’m going to Yosemite for five days in July, and need your recommendations! I’m still not sure if I’ll go alone or with my boyfriend. I would like to rent a cabain inside the park.
I love hiking but I have to stay in easy trails due to a knee issue that I have.
I plan to arrive to the airport on a Sunday evening and leave on Friday noon.

It's very beautiful but be aware that it can be pretty hot in July. I don't have any experience renting places to stay in or out of the park. Have fun!!!

I think that you should research and make you reservations now. Lodging can be pretty dicey during the busy time of the year. If you were going to Yellowstone, it would already be to late. Have fun!

One thing I've heard of is to acclimatise yourself !and try to strengthen your muscles !before !!!you go away!!!! as an athlete would! if they were to do a marathon !!!for instance! I think the idea is to block your nose to a certain extent !so that you get used to the lack of oxygen !which will prepare your lungs for the heat !
wear a hat that you know will stay on !and not get blown off !so make sure it has a ribbon on it so that it stays on .
take dried bananas to keep your potassium boosted .

As long as you have no intention of attempting to scale El Capitan, I suspect you'll do just fine. :eek:

Just be aware of the number of people that are likely going to be there in a peak season. For some the congestion of humans can be quite a turn-off in that particular environment. ;)

Last edited:
I have been to Yosemite. Make sure that you have excellant trail maps, and know how to navigate and use a compass. Make sure you have the requisite gear even if you are hiking a few miles. It’s easy for me to get lost in the woods! Also be mindful of safety- bears, unwanted stranger human attention, and of course your personal needs of camp gear.

Have you camped alone anywhere else? I would get some experience first before doing it alone in a National Park. Also, pretty sure all cabins in any US National Park are reserved at least a year in advance.

There are way too many people in the National Parks during peak times. I could not deal with the lines of traffic, loud people crashing through the woods with their laughter and talking, and the crowded campsites. That’s just me with my sensory issues, but I would have to stay away until the off seasons.

From what I am reading July is the super busy time in Yosemite. Better have a back up plan. Call long before you leave to see what to expect.

I was suppose to go to several parks in Texas but found out after we got to Guadeloupe that we had showed up during the peak season. Who thinks of Spring Break? Not us. After calling the parks farther south and finding the campgrounds already full we ended up heading back the way we came and just enjoying all of that a bit more. Was fun but had we known what to expect I think we could have made a loop into Colorado rather than take that detour to Van Horn.

I have been to Yosemite. Make sure that you have excellant trail maps, and know how to navigate and use a compass. Make sure you have the requisite gear even if you are hiking a few miles. It’s easy for me to get lost in the woods! Also be mindful of safety- bears, unwanted stranger human attention, and of course your personal needs of camp gear.

Have you camped alone anywhere else? I would get some experience first before doing it alone in a National Park. Also, pretty sure all cabins in any US National Park are reserved at least a year in advance.

There are way too many people in the National Parks during peak times. I could not deal with the lines of traffic, loud people crashing through the woods with their laughter and talking, and the crowded campsites. That’s just me with my sensory issues, but I would have to stay away until the off seasons.
If my boyfriend comes with me, we might go camping. Otherwise I’ll stay in a cabain, since I had two hernias operated last year and should not be carrying heavy weight (like a tent).

according to the Yosemite National Park site ,you can still book tent cabins in the high sierra they've started taking bookings again ,they have a lottery system where you put your bid in October !for the next year !,so I think it must be cancellations that are available !?

I'm close to Banff National Park, very close... I avoid it like the plague in mid-summer, way too crowded to enjoy the scenery properly...

When I do my brief vacations and road trips, I tend to go in the shoulder seasons (spring and fall), or even in winter, far more relaxing... Let the people with children take their vacations in the two summer months... I've been to Banff lots when it's not summer and it's enjoyable when not as crowded...

Just a thought or two, if it's possible to delay the trip until the fall, I would do that...

Side note: For those who have ever visited Banff and gone to Johnston Canyon, I've been on that trail in the winter, amazing, not crowded, beautiful winter scenery...

Beware of bears. The last time we camped in Yosemite, brown bears came during the night and broke into our cooler, ate everything, and left a couple of beer cans behind with their teeth holes in them. I still have one of the beer cans as a souvenir. We had followed all advice about bear avoidance but they visited us anyway.

Thank you so much for all the tips!

I rented a “retro style trailer” in Airbnb, thanks for insisting on doing reservations ASAP, since there were only three left (and this one was the best one). I’m so excited!

@Sherlock77 , I completely agree with avoiding crowds, but I’m a mom, and in spite that I’m not taking the kids with me, they will stay with their dad, and they need to be on vacation for that (he had to take a week vacation to take care of them, and he doesn’t want to spend it taking them to school).

Beware of bears. The last time we camped in Yosemite, brown bears came during the night and broke into our cooler, ate everything, and left a couple of beer cans behind with their teeth holes in them. I still have one of the beer cans as a souvenir. We had followed all advice about bear avoidance but they visited us anyway.

I believe you are supposed to suspend your food up in the air, and not keep it anywhere on the ground. Bears even know how to break into cars. They have gotten so used to humans! That is so sad. I am pretty scared of Grizzly bears, but the smaller black bears are responsible for more human killings and attacks in North America. So watch out for both. Then there are the Mountain lions too.

Have fun! If you get off onto some trails you should be able to lose some of the crowd. Most people who visit any park, of any type, anywhere, never seem to get very far from their cars. Hope you get to see a bear! Nobody has been killed by a bear in Yosemite and there are no grizzlies in California, so just don't try to pet one and follow food rules because the bears out there are super creative. I hike and camp where there are bears with no problems. And apparently there are also pacific fishers there, that would be really interesting, though unlikely to get to see. Anyhoo, so glad you snagged a place to stay! Hope you post a few pictures here after the trip.

4AC233A5-396C-4B2B-8C40-E35C1E3E91FC.jpeg

On Sunday, July 15th, I’ll take three flights to get to Fresno, then aproximately a 30 minute drive to my residence for the next five days (a vintage camper). I’m so excited!!

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!! You are very brave to do this on your own! I'm terrified of bears (but will dive with sharks so go figure). :D

New Threads

Top Bottom