• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Yeah, it's snowing!

Just plain cold down here but warming up today, no snow or icy roads yet. It tends to be sporadic, but when it happens nobody's truly prepared and the whole metro area goes in a panic...

Not looking forward to any of it either, being a daily driver and all. Driving in hazardous weather is not for the faint of heart :eek:

Where I'm from. We get just the right amount of show in the winter. It's anywhere from 1 to 6 inches and usually lasts for about 2 weeks to a month. Just enough to give Christmas that winter wonderland experience without being too disruptive to daily life. At least to my life that is. I am from North Idaho and have been trained in the art of driving on ice and snow, and most people here in my town are from the south and have no clue how to drive on this stuff. So when the snow hits. My town just shuts down and I'm usually the only one on the road. I just laugh at how people here are terrified of just a few inches of snow, considering that I came from a place that gets several feet of it.

Driving on snow is one thing. Driving on ice is a whole different matter. Physics dictates that it is impossible to control a car on a sheet of ice. Most people from the South are used to black ice, which can be extremely dangerous. In Southern states snow almost always melts a little during the day and turns the roads into sheets of ice at night. There also isn't sufficient salting of the roads to make driving safe during winter storms.

I grew up and learned to drive in NC but I have also lived in upstate NY. I remember one winter when the roads where white for 4 months straight because the snow got compacted down and never melted. The roads were literally covered in a layer of snow all winter despite frequent plowing and salting. Those roads were easier to drive on that seemingly clear roads with occasional patches of ice. The combination of frequent salting and snow not melting then refreezing as ice makes driving in the snow a lot safer in the North than it is in the South.

I'm just grateful that local media is quite usual and specific about broadcasting known areas with black ice.

Freedriver, I'm one of those who's terrified of snow because I'm so clumsy; add to that the Siberian wind that saws your nose off, and I'm miserable. Ice is the worst. I get the taxi home. Right now (4.10pm) it's minus 6 C. and there's ice everywhere. At least it's sunny.

I hate winter, period. I hate having to wear seven layers and waiting for the snow to melt so I can buy groceries without tripping over my own feet and breaking another bone. I miss summer Christmas because winter Chrissy is just plain dismal.

Counting down the days till I can go to the Gold Coast and surf.

Well this is what it's like in my area in Birmingham UK:

New weather warning for snow-hit Birmingham as temperatures plunge

Arctic conditions since late last week with temperatures as low as -9 degrees C recorded (been down to -5 degrees C around here) with heavy snow causing disruption and it's the worst spell for quite a few years, the only people who so far don't believe it's cold are Welfare Benefits who at the time of writing haven't issued any cold weather payments for the elderly and vulnerable what-so-ever, but no surprise there, the elderly and weak can all die of hypothermia for all they care.

Last edited:
Well this is what it's like in my area in Birmingham UK:

New weather warning for snow-hit Birmingham as temperatures plunge

Arctic conditions since late last week with temperatures as low as -9 degrees C recorded (been down to -5 degrees C around here) with heavy snow causing disruption and it's the worst spell for quite a few years, the only people who so far don't believe it's cold are Welfare Benefits who at the time of writing haven't issued any cold weather payments for the elderly and vulnerable what-so-ever, but no surprise there, the elderly and weak can all die of hypothermia for all they care.
Same for Sunderland

You know it's bad when a moose gets buried in the snow! One year in the Adirondacks we had 3 straight days of snow without any pause- It was over the pasture fence when it stopped and covered our kitchen door. What an erie feeling that was.

This latest weather system on the east coast continues to amaze- and disturb me. Just hope y'all who live there are faring ok despite so much snow, rain and ice.

This latest weather system on the east coast continues to amaze- and disturb me. Just hope y'all who live there are faring ok despite so much snow, rain and ice.
It amazes and disturbs me, too Judge! We didn't get all the snow that is happening elsewhere; barely an inch or two. But it is freezing here, with temps going down to minus 5 degrees tomorrow night.

Warmed up 15 degrees from this morning for a high of zeroºF for the day.

New Threads

Top Bottom