• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Writing skill

Kayla55

So over the years I've being through all speech, got into Montessori School so pressure is off me to keep with curriculum. But communication keeps being an issue. So we finished grammar substitution at home deciding Montessori was providing foundations.
Just started to relax, taking more time off and parent's meeting.....so going to need to work on essay writing. (Exhausted)

I'm thinking after this of starting nixmorf school, it fills in here where Montessori comes short!! But I'm old and maybe I'll get young ambitious people in who can facilitate.
Advice on writing welcome, I've got few ideas from my experience being asd...

Take your time, if you can. Read through again and again until it makes sense. Read through from the beginning until you get to the end--as needed--to make sure things cohere. This also helps me think through what I say from different angles, and find contradictions, aside from anything confusing.

Good luck :) You have a lot to say, so I hope this helps you.

Hi Kayla55,
Sometimes it is helpful to read your essay out loud. It can help with proofreading and editing.

Also, it can be helpful to try to emulate articles that you think have been written well.

Lastly, consider getting a second opinion, like here or with a friend. It can be surprising to get an outside perspective.

Boys have more writing skills than me, like they even content writers!!
Mine goes...write down facts in bulletform, arrange by number in order, join the sentences to make a paragraph. Try change wording so teacher doesn't say copied out of book.
Oh no! It's my worst subject too. Is this what must read finished product over to see if can, I think you saying proof read it

Boys have more writing skills than me, like they even content writers!!

I think a lot of males have not had to question themselves much. Their confidence is illusory--unearned. Women (as with any marginalized group) must try 10 times as hard to be seen as talented.

I see a depth of perception and subtlety/facility with expression in so many female writers, even if the big names are mostly men. Annie Ernaux and Camille Paglia are two powerful examples, which come to mind (both non-fiction).

In my case, usually essay writing involves having a thesis statement usually as the beginning sentence, followed by a few general supporting facts or opinions. Subsequent paragraphs will usually break down each of those generalities with supporting interesting details, using more facts, description, opinions with foundation, narrative examples or sound reasoning.

Of course grammar is important, but to be frank I am not going to lose much sleep there with a few minor mistakes as content and what one says and how they say it is far more important to me. I would more quickly tune out a general, one-sided and biased writing or one with just opinion after opinion without argument and supporting details than a piece with facts, details, something interesting and thought-provoking or with sound reasoning.

I am fine with writings that are informative, persuasive, interesting or entertaining, so it does not take much to please me, but too much facts or too much emotion can lead me elsewhere I admit as I am often in the middle there with how I express. I write in many ways like I talk, informing and detailing, with sometimes an analysis.

I also try to have some organization and flow to what I say, with a general purpose in mind,and I try to keep the average listener and reader in mind, if not change up things a bit if a different audience is involved. Usually I want to be as brief as possible, lol, but comprehensive. I mean, be relevant and straight to the point, but thorough to explain my position well so as I am not misunderstood and something is learned.

Most words I choose carefully, but without much thought. Oymoronic it sounds, but it that is very true. I grew up feeling every word spoken or heard could be very important or mean the difference between getting my needs met or being understood, or mean the difference between safety, happiness, being content ,a survival or living peacefully.

Having said all this, each should express in the way they desire, no matter how brief or lengthy, as many will focus on quality for what you say than quantity. Even I am smart enough to know my lengthy writings will not be read my many. But, I do not mind there, as no matter how we express we will not p!ease all, as we all have different triggers, preferences and needs there, and as we express differently.

If everyone wrote and expressed the same it would be boring to me. For instance, I am the type that would internally rebel against any art teacher that told me this is what that art meant or why that art should be appreciated or what that artist was thinking, just as I would tune out an English Literature professor who said that writer, book or poem was great because...

I will determine what I feel is great, enjoyable or readable to me, and that often differs from the masses because my personality, interests, abilities, style and ways of expressing is different. That is why members here too may not read posts from all members, but those they relate to or understand or appreciate the best. I am this same way, as limited time these days on!y allows me to do such.

So, you determine your desired ways of expressing,after realizing we all have rights to express differently there. No textbook or writer is perfect in their presentations there.

Last edited:
I write for profit some, and I still have to hear my words read back to me in order to make sure everything is actually there that I was thinking. So many times I have thought what I was writing but didn't actually write it down. Those robotic reading software have gotten better and creep me out less, finally. I think you might want to try one. I think they have helped me a lot.

Take your time, if you can. Read through again and again until it makes sense. Read through from the beginning until you get to the end--as needed--to make sure things cohere. This also helps me think through what I say from different angles, and find contradictions, aside from anything confusing.

That's basically the only trick I know. I use it for writing work emails, presentations, documentation, talks, etc.

I will put down everything I want to say.
Then read it through to make sure it's coherent.
Then read it through to make sure it's understandable.
Then read it through to see if it raises any questions - and add answers to those questions.
Then read it through to make sure it doesn't wander around - that it flows smoothly from one topic to the next.
Then read it through to make sure it's tasteful.
Then read it through to make sure it strikes the proper tone.
Then read it through to make sure it gets to the point fast enough.

Sometimes I think of more things to check for, sometimes less, but re-reading and revising is the best way to make it good.

Hi Kayla55,
Sometimes it is helpful to read your essay out loud. It can help with proofreading and editing.

Also, it can be helpful to try to emulate articles that you think have been written well.

Lastly, consider getting a second opinion, like here or with a friend. It can be surprising to get an outside perspective.
True. All of those things really do help <3

So over the years I've being through all speech, got into Montessori School so pressure is off me to keep with curriculum. But communication keeps being an issue. So we finished grammar substitution at home deciding Montessori was providing foundations.
Just started to relax, taking more time off and parent's meeting.....so going to need to work on essay writing. (Exhausted)

I'm thinking after this of starting nixmorf school, it fills in here where Montessori comes short!! But I'm old and maybe I'll get young ambitious people in who can facilitate.
Advice on writing welcome, I've got few ideas from my experience being asd...
Not in a position to offer advice, but I’ll share.

Recovering from a massive burnout, I had the idea to write a page, maybe two, about an ND guy meeting an NT woman. It was a tool to help focus on a few issues. I’m on page 614 right now. I enjoy writing and, anyway, have a need to create. I’ve averaged 50 - 60 hours a week for over a year.

I don’t write to be read; I spent a lifetime trying to ‘publish’ my thoughts and ideas, and now I’m fine with the fact that this work will never be read. After 30 years of teaching twice a week, I’m writing for myself.

I believe it was the great master of historical fiction James Michener who said, “I am a terrible writer. Fortunately, I’m one of the world’s greatest rewriters.”

I’m currently wrapping up my first draft. There’s no particular reason to believe that I’ll be around long enough for a few rewrites, but I’m not too concerned about that, either.

Probably a third of what I’ve written will be trashed on the first rewrite; maybe a thousand hours worth. But those were the times I was forcing my characters to work out difficult issues. Now, I know what they have to do, so I can ditch the hemming and hawing and get right to it.

For first draft, I only wanted characters, storyline and dialogue, so what I have is devoid of texture. That’s okay for now.

Won a few speech contests in junior high, got to go to a half-day presentation by Rod Serling. Fascinating, but came away with his central advice. Write your story idea in one or two sentences, put that scrap in a drawer somewhere and forget it. He said his house was filled with scraps. When he came across a scrap, he’d think about it, maybe add a note or two, put it back away. Whether in months or years, an idea worth pursuing would slowly reveal itself. Or not. He never wrote things that hadn’t matured in this way.

I hope to hear how your project comes along.

Thank you, this insight assists me in tackling this issue aggressively, and thoroughly and swiftly!!
My first year homeschooling was busy, printing worksheets, preparing a schedule and was my first experience teaching reading. We did sight words as best as could...polishing last bit of speech. I've never heard the end of behind and found out just how many sight words are learnt, and issues like short and long vowels.
So this time I'm not leaving anything to chance...again it's knowing what's required at the level and lack experience.
I hope I left insight behind, we've started already so I'm going to get thru this

New Threads

Top Bottom