• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Writing a story where the hero isn't the protagonist

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
In my fantasy trilogy, there is character in the book that is sort of a traditional hero. He appears now and then throughout the trilogy as a minor character, sometimes even a bit of comic-relief character, and then around midway through the third book he finally emerges as a traditional hero and goes on his on subplot that's sort of an old-fashioned knight's quest.

I've been wanting to do something like this for a longtime, even before I actually took up writing seriously; I think it would be interesting viewing the hero from the point of view of other characters in a story. I know this sort of thing has been done before, I think Final Fantasy did a few games like this and has been criticized how those stories played-out, which sort of leads me to the main question of this thread, how do I do that and do it well?

The other protagonists in this story are active and have big roles to play; Haroman, the primary protagonist, will be at a point in his arc, where the audience knows what his goal his and how important it is, (it's still the most important goal in the story) and will now be simply waiting to see how it plays out. The secondary protagonist, Aretza, the Aspie general, will, at this point be in an intense internal struggle and at the time that this character, whose name is Luxceus, is going on his knight's quest, Aretza will be engaging in his own military campaign that's crucial for Haroman's goal being fulfilled; in fact Luxceus' "knight's quest" is in fact just another important military campaign like Aretza's, it just plays-out like an old-fashioned knight's quest...
and actually ends with him being knighted.

I am not a writer so can't give pointers, but like the sound of what you have started. Especially an Aspie General. I'm Aspie and my career was in the military, though not as a general, lol. I saw others I believe were Aspies, and they/we can do quite well. But the successfull interfacing with other soldiers is critical and you have to have their respect to function well.

I am not a writer so can't give pointers, but like the sound of what you have started. Especially an Aspie General. I'm Aspie and my career was in the military, though not as a general, lol. I saw others I believe were Aspies, and they/we can do quite well. But the successfull interfacing with other soldiers is critical and you have to have their respect to function well.

Yeah, I was concerned about that. Along with putting them in danger due to my "issues". It's way I didn't join.

In my fantasy trilogy, there is character in the book that is sort of a traditional hero. He appears now and then throughout the trilogy as a minor character, sometimes even a bit of comic-relief character, and then around midway through the third book he finally emerges as a traditional hero and goes on his on subplot that's sort of an old-fashioned knight's quest.

I've been wanting to do something like this for a longtime, even before I actually took up writing seriously; I think it would be interesting viewing the hero from the point of view of other characters in a story. I know this sort of thing has been done before, I think Final Fantasy did a few games like this and has been criticized how those stories played-out, which sort of leads me to the main question of this thread, how do I do that and do it well?

The other protagonists in this story are active and have big roles to play; Haroman, the primary protagonist, will be at a point in his arc, where the audience knows what his goal his and how important it is, (it's still the most important goal in the story) and will now be simply waiting to see how it plays out. The secondary protagonist, Aretza, the Aspie general, will, at this point be in an intense internal struggle and at the time that this character, whose name is Luxceus, is going on his knight's quest, Aretza will be engaging in his own military campaign that's crucial for Haroman's goal being fulfilled; in fact Luxceus' "knight's quest" is in fact just another important military campaign like Aretza's, it just plays-out like an old-fashioned knight's quest...
and actually ends with him being knighted.

Put yourself into the mindset of the other characters. Acknowledge their history and opinions then portay how each of them sees the hero from their point of view.

New Threads

Top Bottom