• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would you trade your Autism for something else?

disconnected

V.I.P Member
When I work in the city I ride the train to work. On the way home I saw a woman with a dog and I quickly wondered if dogs are allowed on the train. Anyhow when she stood up I took notice that she was completely blind. Her dog led her onto the train and into a vacation seat. It was apparent she was 100% blind as she felt her way on and reached toward the seat. I had an immediate feeling of sorrow. I began to think how much I enjoy my sight since I’m a visual learner . I would prefer to keep my Autism opposed to being blind.

What are your thoughts?

My form of autism reflects the only neurological perspective I've ever had. Since I don't have that perspective of "something else", there's no way for me to weigh it against my autism in comparison.

My form of autism reflects the only neurological perspective I've ever had. Since I don't have that perspective of "something else", there's no way for me to weigh it against my autism in comparison.

I just notice a trend on different sites of everyone having the victim mentality. ;).

I think it makes me good at things

I'd trade mine for the ability to drive as well as the ability to have permanent employment. Other than that I am fine with my Autism.

I'm Autistic. I've always been autistic. I don't know any other way. I do know I don't want to be someone else, I'm happy being me. I don't want to swap my identity for anything.

I wouldn’t mind trading my autism (although mostly my comorbidities) for a large sum of money, say, enough to pay off the debt in student loans I accrued from going to med school with my ASD.

In truth, there are certain aspects of Aspergers that I wish didn't exist, but I am not sure about exchanging one difficulty for another. I don't know what my new reality would be like. We can only go as far as our abilities take us. There are very few people in the world who can be and do anything, and I know I'm not one of them. We should just be kind to everyone because we never completely understand what difficulties people face.

I'd trade it for 70,000 cubic yards of nice dirt. I love big dirt piles!

dirt pile.jpeg

If I wasn't autistic, I wouldn't be me. I like being me. For me the advantages of being autistic out weight the disadvantages.

Nope.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

And I like being me, I like existing.

Last edited:
I'd trade it for good health, something that's taken a downward spiral at 42.

I wouldn't trade it for a bunch of money, because then what would I do with my time besides talk to people? I'd rather have a bunch of money and stay alone and tinker with projects all day long.

I'd trade it for good health.
Physical afflictions can be so tiring.

I would trade it for a large sum of money
so I wouldn't have to worry about how or where I am going to live.

I just notice a trend on different sites of everyone having the victim mentality. ;).

I think it makes me good at things

On the other hand there's a difference between "having a victim mentality" and thinking there are negative aspects to autism, like how there are negative aspects to practically everything in existence. However, it's a different experience for everyone.

In fact I would go so far as to say that dismissing people's negative experiences with autism is actually pretty harmful. There might even be some denial involved.

I’ve not long discovered there’s a name for it. (Aspergers)
An actual medical label.
I’m still trying to own it.

I’ll consider trading after I’ve finished obsessing with it :)

I would trade it for an upgrade, a better, improved version of myself. Progster version 2.0 :)

Yeah but if you weren't Autistic, you possibly could've been an actual Judge.

Me? If I wasn't Aspie I'd be in a good job earning a decent wage, and possibly married with at least 2 kids by now and living in a big 3 bedroom House in South West London like my Brother, well maybe somewhere a bit closer to Sheffield than London.

New Threads

Top Bottom