• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would I be better or more miserable if I admit I will accept I will never have a girlfriend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think you are missing a step and I don't think it is necessarily an attitude problem. I think the first step is finding some healing from the past emotional trauma that many of us have went through due to not meeting common milestones while everyone around us meet them without any problem. And many of us experience being an outcast beginning in kindergarten or even before and that just keeps getting reinforced over the years. And going through all of this and not even knowing why we were outcasts or how we were different exactly. Trauma experienced as a child (complex trauma since it is not from one singular event such as a car accident) is a deep trauma. When we were kids, was the answer to these problems to simply "change our attitude"? No, we did not have much a chance if the adults such as parents or schools did not know what we were going through and why. This is an incredibly sad failure of the adults in our lives when we were kids and society as a whole. It is damn near impossible to have a good attitude when you get your emotions pulverized on a daily basis.

I'm not sure you have heard of the polyvagal theory or not, but I think it explains what those with ASD are going through on a daily basis. Basically many of us a stuck in a cycle of fight or flight and freeze. Many of us are caught in a continuous loop and it can be extremely difficult to escape. Our vagal nerves are not working properly which makes it difficult to engage in social functions. I think it is possible to escape this loop but it takes a lot of work and some of us have been in it our entire lives so we don't know anything different. While being in this loop, it causes dysfunction and additional difficulties in life from work to relationships which can cause additional small traumas to pile up. It is a vicious cycle, and one which myself, and I suspect many others have not been able to escape on a day to day basis.

So I think the advice to just simply change ones attitude is unhelpful at best and at worst simplifying the solution down to this is a bit of a slap in the face. It discounts the difficulties and pain we have experienced despite how much effort many of us have put forth without seeing much in the way of success.
This.

I know what it’s like to have been an outcast for so much of my life, dating back to Kindergarten/First grade, having had little-to-no friends when I was a kid, never having more than a small circle.

Do you think I’m not traumatized by all the nos I got from girls in high school, especially women in college? How long it took me to get my first date, my first, my first relationship, how it feels to be told you’re a good person, a nice person, how you have a lot to offer, only for someone to seldom take you up on what you have to offer. If someone would be lucky to have me, as I’ve sometimes been told, why not make yourself the lucky one?

It’s like telling someone like myself to just be happy, even though I’m also clinically depressed.

I feel like it’s fashionable to shame people like us, to put us down, to say we’re not entitled to anyone.

I can tell you I am very much entitled to my feelings, and my feelings of being bitter - more towards those who turned me down and hurt me when I was younger, who denied me some of those high school/college experiences.

For women who turn me down now or decide not to see me again or sever contact or say now’s not the time, I feel more hurt than I do hate (not really hate with women now).

But those women who hurt me back in the day, who contributed to my trauma, that animosity will never go away, not even if a swimsuit model jumped into my arms tomorrow wishing to spend the rest of her life with me.

Change their attitude? It’s hard to blame anybody who doesn’t.

It’s like telling someone like myself to just be happy, even though I’m also clinically depressed.

I feel like it’s fashionable to shame people like us, to put us down, to say we’re not entitled to anyone.
Yeah I do think some people get a self esteem boost when they put others down as they seem themselves as being better or more successful.

I go five days a week and twice on three days. I love doing it. I love all the teachers. So yes. I still go and I will keep going. I hate when they are closed on the holidays.
I also love yoga. I just started back at going out to classes again. I did have a really good home routine happening for a couple of years but things took me off course with that and I don't have a good space for in in my very small cramped unit, now. I will get funding for being disabled soon and I want to make yoga a fairly large part of that spending that funding, as well as other get-fit activities. I love yoga so much!

There is a lot of yogic philosophy you can delve into too. Its all about achieving "unity consciousness" and is akin to Buddhism in how it helps you become "mindful" and present, in your body and the here and now. The more happy and content you are in yourself, the more you are attractive to other people.

I attribute yoga and meditation to how far I have come, as an autistic person, in achieving a fulfilling life, and attracting a loving neurodiverse partner who I am compatible with. Relationships don't make people happy so much as if you work on becoming happier, if a relationship opportunity comes your way, you won't mess it up, if you are already practicing being a habitually happier, more content person. My autist man and I had plenty of things to be miserable about when we met each other, and still, but we are really tired of being unhappy so we use humour, and self responsibility for our own wellbeing as ways to always pull ourselves up when life gets us down.
It sounds like you are coming along in that regard @Tony Remirez. Wellbeing is the goal in yoga, rather than agendas and particular outcomes, other than health and inner equilibrium, but, I think, continuing on your yogic path bodes well for you. It certainly helps me.

Just today at the social I meet a new woman and she has a boyfriend. She showed me his stupid picture. I am stick of 99% of women being taken. I will never be in a relationship. It sucks no matter what I do or where I go women are all in relationships.

Too think we were even talking about yoga but it was yet again a complete waste of time.

Just today at the social I meet a new woman and she has a boyfriend. She showed me his stupid picture. I am stick of 99% of women being taken. I will never be in a relationship. It sucks no matter what I do or where I go women are all in relationships.

Too think we were even talking about yoga but it was yet again a complete waste of time.
I assume this is a woman in her 20s

Yes, I know it’s hard, but you must not give up.

And again, you have what to lose by trying online dating? At least you know you’re interacting with singles.

What were you guys discussing about yoga?

No late 30s by her appearance. But it does not matter her age 99% are taken.
I bet even if you lost a lot of weight or even if you were in much better shape but if your social skills or just the way you talked or behaved or acted or just overall your behavior was still the same, why do I get the feeling you would still be single

I bet even if you lost a lot of weight or even if you were in much better shape but if your social skills or just the way you talked or behaved or acted or just overall your behavior was still the same, why do I get the feeling you would still be single
Because most women basically all new women I encounter are in relationships and there is nothing I can do about it. It's frustrating. I can join ten different groups and social network events and nothing will change.

Online dating would make me servery depressed. I would get no responses. I just saw some YouTube videos that were recommendations from more attractive guys who got nothing and they were more successful because there are more guys then gals on there. It is literally hopeless for me. But what my wise yoga teacher Tashya who left which made me feel sad is I am losing weight and improving myself not to meet someone but to improve me. She is around my age and I think she is single but happy with her life. I know some single women in their 30s and 40s who are happy being single.

Just today at the social I meet a new woman and she has a boyfriend. She showed me his stupid picture.

Do you think some women do that only to politely tell one that they aren't available?

Not to be mean, but to avoid confrontation. A church social, right? If I had to guess, I suspect most women in your church are probably aware of your intentions as a single man. Another reason to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Yeah reminds me I'm in contact with a guy who didn't have his first girlfriend until the beginning of his 30s, he says he still gets depressed bitter and resentful when he sees couples out there younger than him

No, a local park social. But it does not matter what type of social it is, it's always the same outcome.
If it ain't working, time to try something else. But I always wonder about those who would show a picture of their s/o to a complete stranger. There must be something to it beyond just a friendly gesture. Now if a proud parent with pics of their kids, that I understand.

If it ain't working, time to try something else.
What else. I tried just about everything except yelling on the sidewalks saying to women to please date me. No I won't do that. Really I tried everything and I am just tired and frustrated.

What else. I tried just about everything except yelling on the sidewalks saying to women to please date me. No I won't do that. Really I tried everything and I am just tired and frustrated.
Whatever you are doing, you are likely being so transparent about it that they see you coming.

Especially the ones who aren't interested. Why else would a single woman show you pictures of their significant other? Sounds like it's time to find another venue or angle to work from with a different crowd. Agreed though, the process is NEVER easy.

There are things you'll have to learn what not to do, in addition to the positive things you're doing.

Generally people won't tell you these things. You'll have to learn to ask - which won't be easy, but you need to figure this out. Even getting people to explain the protocols for this won't be straightforward.

It's easy to be upbeat, or give positive-sounding advice (regardless of its efficacy). The reverse is high-risk, low-reward.

I just don't know what else to try.
You may have to entertain really getting outside your comfort zone. Something I have done a few times myself. Not always fun, but you never know unless you try.

Doing adult education a number of times, I had different experiences. Reminding me how tough group interactions can be, depending on the mix of strangers I got. Just meeting strangers in general is generally WAY outside my comfort zone. But sometimes I knew I had to push myself. In getting older though, I'm finding that it's no longer "a scratch that I must itch".

I like to think that such things are kind of a microcosm of life though. In that you can have the same scenario but with different people that may produce different chemistry when it comes to friendship or romance. Something that won't happen though if you remain in the same social circles within one's comfort zone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom