• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Windows 10 Update

If nothing else, I would encourage upgrading to Windows 10 purely for the fact that I think it will last further in the future than Windows 7, which is already 6 years old--we saw what happened eventually, inevitably to XP, where they finally hammered in that last nail in the coffin and ended support for it. Despite its many flaws, it's not nearly as awful as Windows 8, I can safely assure you.

Windows 7 support will end in 2020. That's practically an eternity to me. ;)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Works for me. If I'm still alive then, I'll probably treat myself to my first Mac.

Windows 7 support will end in 2020. That's practically an eternity to me. ;)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Works for me. If I'm still alive then, I'll probably treat myself to my first Mac.
If that's the case, I'll go back to my original position...Stick with 7 as long as you can! :p

Judge, to update you on some "advances". Many os do not come with a disc. They are pre-installed on the computer hard drive and are a ***** if one is not able to save a backup image properly beforehand

I've done my disk image and will upgrade but, since I have limited bandwidth during the day and, a free usage zone form midnight until 5:00 am, I won't reserve a copy. I cannot have it download at will - I need to tell it to download during my free usage time.

I do beta test two games so, being an early adopter of something is not a problem for me but, I can't do the preview of Windows 10 because one of the games I test does not yet run under Windows 10.

Judge, to update you on some "advances". Many os do not come with a disc. They are pre-installed on the computer hard drive and are a ***** if one is not able to save a backup image properly beforehand

No need. I'm well aware that Dell and others have been doing that for some time. Never the less, I find the process utterly unacceptable. I don't want a backup. I want the actual OS install disk.

When I build my PCs I do it in a "no bullsh*t zone". ;)

I'll stack any of the systems I've built against those they've built...including the software/driver issues. Suffice it to say, I've never "lost" an OS if a hard drive dies.

Last edited:
For those who may run into an os issue like i did you can try to google install win 8 over win 8.1 or something like that. When I googled i got winhelp.us. Only have access to iphone so copying and finding old links that worked for me next to impossible:(

I've done my disk image and will upgrade but, since I have limited bandwidth during the day and, a free usage zone form midnight until 5:00 am, I won't reserve a copy. I cannot have it download at will - I need to tell it to download during my free usage time.

I do beta test two games so, being an early adopter of something is not a problem for me but, I can't do the preview of Windows 10 because one of the games I test does not yet run under Windows 10.
Do you have satellite Internet too? (I do, and it sucks!) I don't know which version of Windows you're running...If you are running 8 or 8.1, you can set a connection as "metered," which means Microsoft won't automatically download any updates to its software until you tell it to.

Do you have satellite Internet too? (I do, and it sucks!) I don't know which version of Windows you're running...If you are running 8 or 8.1, you can set a connection as "metered," which means Microsoft won't automatically download any updates to its software until you tell it to.

Yes I do have satellite internet (Exede 12/25) and it does suck but, I can't even get dial up out here and, would have no internet or phone without it. I don't have enough cell signal for voice at home, only text. I have windows 8.1 and, I do have it set to a metered connection but, I don't trust it not to download the new OS at will.

I know all of the bandwidth saving tricks, run Ad Blocker, disable Flash, Disable Facebook video loading, do manual updates for everything except your anti virus, etc.... I've been a Viasat customer for 9 years. WildBlue first, then Exede when it became available to me. (As the email address I registered with would have told you. :p )

Yes I do have satellite internet (Exede 12/25) and it does suck but, I can't even get dial up out here and, would have no internet or phone without it. I don't have enough cell signal for voice at home, only text. I have windows 8.1 and, I do have it set to a metered connection but, I don't trust it not to download the new OS at will.

I know all of the bandwidth saving tricks, run Ad Blocker, disable Flash, Disable Facebook video loading, do manual updates for everything except your anti virus, etc.... I've been a Viasat customer for 9 years. WildBlue first, then Exede when it became available to me. (As the email address I registered with would have told you. :p )
Aye, I have the same plan. I did a search, and according to Microsoft, the Windows 10 update won't be downloaded automatically on a metered connection. How to: Upgrade to Windows 10 if you are on a slow or metered - Microsoft Community

FWIW, I don't think I have access to members' email addresses. ;)

EDIT: I accidentally posted the wrong link. Fixed now.

The paperweight is now a working laptop again, Hoorah!!
Turned out to be a corrupted hard drive and one of the RAM cards, installing a new hard drive, pulling one RAM and using the other in the backslot solved it :)

I bought a copy of Win7 from a computer repair shop for £5, quite possibly the same copy I downloaded myself as that's all the repair guy did, just burned to disc. Installing it required the laborious task of verifying the legitimacy of the copy and finding loads of drivers the copy doesn't come with, apparently, the main ones being:

Ethernet controller
Network controller
PCI simple communications controller
SM Bus controller

With these installed, it's then possible to find everything else online.
I now have, essentially, an original Win7 OS disc and Driver disc if I need to do all this again, so can stick with Win7 as long as possible!

The paperweight is now a working laptop again, Hoorah!!
Turned out to be a corrupted hard drive and one of the RAM cards, installing a new hard drive, pulling one RAM and using the other in the backslot solved it :)

I bought a copy of Win7 from a computer repair shop for £5, quite possibly the same copy I downloaded myself as that's all the repair guy did, just burned to disc. Installing it required the laborious task of verifying the legitimacy of the copy and finding loads of drivers the copy doesn't come with, apparently, the main ones being:

Ethernet controller
Network controller
PCI simple communications controller
SM Bus controller

With these installed, it's then possible to find everything else online.
I now have, essentially, an original Win7 OS disc and Driver disc if I need to do all this again, so can stick with Win7 as long as possible!
That's interesting you mention the drivers issue, and makes me wonder how old your laptop is? (If you've mentioned it already in this thread, forgive me...I have poor memory and blame the Lamictal ;) ). Perhaps it's an issue of a 64-bit vs. a 32-bit system? I do think Windows 7 is among the best Microsoft has put out...the only reason I'm running 8.1 is because that's what we use at school and I need to get used to it just to keep up. I still think Windows 10 has a lot of promise, based on my experience with the preview copies, and the GUI is improved because it partly goes back to the intuitive and familiar layouts of previous Windows editions, but only time will tell if it lives up to its potential and is good enough to get widely adopted by enterprise systems (most seem to consciously forgo Win8, probably because the user interface is a disaster).

That's interesting you mention the drivers issue, and makes me wonder how old your laptop is? (If you've mentioned it already in this thread, forgive me...I have poor memory and blame the Lamictal ;) ). Perhaps it's an issue of a 64-bit vs. a 32-bit system? I do think Windows 7 is among the best Microsoft has put out...the only reason I'm running 8.1 is because that's what we use at school and I need to get used to it just to keep up. I still think Windows 10 has a lot of promise, based on my experience with the preview copies, and the GUI is improved because it partly goes back to the intuitive and familiar layouts of previous Windows editions, but only time will tell if it lives up to its potential and is good enough to get widely adopted by enterprise systems (most seem to consciously forgo Win8, probably because the user interface is a disaster).

I hadn't mentioned it Wyv - my laptop's 4 years old and the Win7 I've installed is 64bit. It occurs to me to mention also that I was given it second hand, with no recovery disc -which would, of course, have all the drivers I'd need :rolleyes:

I hadn't mentioned it Wyv - my laptop's 4 years old and the Win7 I've installed is 64bit. It occurs to me to mention also that I was given it second hand, with no recovery disc -which would, of course, have all the drivers I'd need :rolleyes:

Not to mention you also likely need the appropriate motherboard drivers pertinent to your laptop, apart from the operating system files required during installation.

But you can probably download them directly from the manufacturer.

Not to mention you also likely need the appropriate motherboard drivers pertinent to your laptop, apart from the operating system files required during installation.

yeah that can be a pain in the ass,

Did you check the connection points on the ram Spiller?
sometimes they just need a good clean and you could double your memory
The amount of times someone has asked me to look at their computer,
some people on the point of throwing pc away.
The most common problem is usually a simple matter of giving motherboard
a good clean and applying some fresh thermal paste for the heat sink.

Some people think i am a real computer wiz lol

Always, always, ALWAYS download drivers directly from the manufacturer. Yeah, it's easier to just tell Windows to use whatever firmware it wants, but if you want both functionality and security, going directly to the source is the best option.

My CIT instructor actually mentioned this to me, as he also has a Macbook (despite all his poo-poo-ing of Apple, lol). Once the warranty runs out in August, I'm definitely taking it in to the class and have him show me what to do to fix it (we have lots of material on hand, as we are one of the very few programs in the country that doesn't use simulators).

Always, always, ALWAYS download drivers directly from the manufacturer. Yeah, it's easier to just tell Windows to use whatever firmware it wants, but if you want both functionality and security, going directly to the source is the best option.

No question. Even if you can find them on a third-party site, there's always the possibility that you may be downloading more than what you bargained for. And not in a good way.

or a driver for a slightly earlier version of the one you have and other infuriating stuff

or a driver for a slightly earlier version of the one you have and other infuriating stuff

Just another reason why I prefer building my own from the ground up. I buy the motherboard, which comes with its own software suite on a CD pertinent to specific operating systems. I buy the operating system, so I have the CD to install and reinstall if necessary. No backups, hidden partitions or haggling with manufacturers after the fact.

But then the reality for most computer users is that they aren't even aware of such concerns until after they have a problem.

So true, Judge, best to build it yourself. You then have the disks and, you know exactly what you have where inside the case. I've built my own for the last decade. I but a case and the components and, get the tool set out of the closet when I need a new computer.

It may not be the fastest or, most cost effective way to get a computer but, I think you get a better computer that will last you longer for your effort and, it makes upgrading a lot easier, you already know exactly what will and what won't work with your system.

yeah that can be a pain in the ass,

Did you check the connection points on the ram Spiller?
sometimes they just need a good clean and you could double your memory
The amount of times someone has asked me to look at their computer,
some people on the point of throwing pc away.

Some people think i am a real computer wiz lol

Surprises me that people don't know how to either do this stuff or want to find out how to - everything I've had to pay out for over the years I've either watched them do and asked questions, or checked out online before or afterwards so I could do it myself and save the expense next time.
I repasted the CPU and cleaned the motherboard and fan, then took the laptop to a shop that will have a look for free (always check out all the local shops as they do different prices and deals - another local shop charges £20 just to look at it), they tested the RAM cards and found the faulty one, so all it cost me was a new hard drive, RAM card and OS, which I installed myself.
I've seen and hated this throwaway attitude since I started fixing and building my own stereos out of other peoples' broken ones when I was a kid.. fuse in the back blows, turntable belt drive goes, volume knob breaks, buy another one. Now its pc's - I was given my last tower for free and all that was wrong was that the family had crammed the hard drive with programs and pictures; I told them this, but they couldn't be bothered to play around with it, so I just reinstalled the OS (that was when you still got an OS disc with the machine) and it lasted me years.

New Threads

Top Bottom