• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Windows 10 Update

I've loaded 10 onto all my machines now (4) and they are all running like a dream. Yes, I disabled the security 'features', easy enough to do and no hardship there. I had one problem on my newest games machine, it lost internet connection. Took me 30 mins to hunt down the latest drivers for the wifi and all was good.

In my view 10 is what MS should have built in 8. It takes up less room, runs faster and is just customisable enough at the front end that I don't feel bogged down with stuff I don't need. I'm not a MS fan, never have been, but I have to tip my hat at 10 :)

The more I use it the more I like it. As per Judge 's comments, yes, you are right. But it's also important to bear in mind that the bulk of Microsoft's revenue comes from enterprise, not home users, so it's impressive (to me, given their history) that they actually put so much effort into 10 to begin with. I'm still a fan, and yes, it's probably better safe than sorry to adjust all those crazy privacy settings. Beverly , I'm fascinated by what your ISP told you about file sharing...wouldn't they be able to tell it was legitimate? Interesting, something I will have to bear in mind.

I do not regret upgrading in the slightest, as I think it is far better even than Windows 7 simply in terms of performance and speed. But if you prefer the GUI of one system over another, that should be a huge factor.

I'm fascinated by what your ISP told you about file sharing...wouldn't they be able to tell it was legitimate? Interesting, something I will have to bear in mind.

My ISP assured me the file share was limited to the local network i.e. my four computers and resided behind my fire walls. So I'm intrigued to, might be useful if Beverly could provide her ISPs statement as it could save a whole lot of grief if they are right.

I called my ISP on the phone because of this: W10Fileshare.jpg

They told me that if I allowed Windows to deliver updates to computers on the internet (the second option, which was ticked by default) that looked the same as using P2P to their servers and, they monitor for that because if you use P2P or torrents, you might be pirating so, you account gets flagged for a more detailed inspection of what you are downloading or uploading. They can do that because, in order to have their service, you have to sign an agreement with the following line included.

, ViaSat and its authorized suppliers reserve the right to monitor bandwidth, usage, transmissions, and content from time to time in order to operate the Services, identify violations of this Agreement, or protect the ViaSat network, the Services and other users of the Service

Basically, anytime they want, they can read my email, read anything I post on any site, look at every file I upload or download, monitor everything I do online. They usually don't unless there is torrent or P2P type activity, then they will check what I uploaded or downloaded and, if it were pirated or, the could not determine what it was for certain, I'd be warned to stop one time, the my serves suspended for life if it happened again.

Allowing W10 to deliver updates over the internet, according to the rep on the phone, looks just like P2P so, it gets the account flagged for closer inspection.

But it's also important to bear in mind that the bulk of Microsoft's revenue comes from enterprise, not home users, so it's impressive (to me, given their history) that they actually put so much effort into 10 to begin with.

When your business is software development, security and integrity of your cheapest product and service must be every bit as good as your most expensive product and service. Even for those vendors who give away their lower tier products. Thus the liability exposure is equal...whether for enterprise or individual user purposes.

This dynamic particularly applies to those specializing in anti-virus programs. Where their enterprise operations are quite lucrative- and expensive. All while simultaneously giving away a lesser product without all the bells and whistles.

And now Microsoft is giving away it's latest operating system for free. For now, we can only sit back and see if their encryption and security at the server level holds. But seriously- if they can't deliver for individual users, how long will it be before their enterprise clients become alarmed ?

Last edited:
I run both Norton and F-Secure (AV provided by my ISP) and so fare neither is throwing any more flags than under 7 or 8/8.1, that's about 1 certificate flag a week (all I've seen under 10 so far) and 3 to 4 other threat flags per year. That said I am behind a dynamic IP and double blind firewall set up so, that does minimize intrusion attempts actually being able to find my computer.

I also keep my OS up to date and run full scans with both AV programs daily.

When your business is software development, security and integrity of your cheapest product and service must be every bit as good as your most expensive product and service. Even for those vendors who give away their lower tier products. Thus the liability exposure is equal...whether for enterprise or individual user purposes.

This dynamic particularly applies to those specializing in anti-virus programs. Where their enterprise operations are quite lucrative- and expensive. All while simultaneously giving away a lesser product without all the bells and whistles.

And now Microsoft is giving away it's latest operating system for free. For now, we can only sit back and see if their encryption and security at the server level holds. But seriously- if they can't deliver for individual users, how long will it be before their enterprise clients become alarmed ?
In enterprise systems, security is generally built into the entire network architecture, it's not just servers and workstations that do all the work. Viruses aren't as bad a problem as people think; as long as you aren't stupid on the Internet (I'd recommend using OpenDNS), limit your use of public wifi, and keep all your software, drivers and firmware up to date, the risk is relatively low. The real danger is not on your own computer, but when data centers get hacked; that's where you have to be particularly scrupulous about who you do business with. And Microsoft has a really good track record of issuing patches for newly-discovered exploits in a timely manner, as opposed to Apple who just kind of sit on it for several months, by which time a zillion additional exploits have made it into the wild.

And Microsoft has a really good track record of issuing patches for newly-discovered exploits in a timely manner, as opposed to Apple who just kind of sit on it for several months, by which time a zillion additional exploits have made it into the wild.

They have to be. Microsoft is a much bigger target for business litigation than Apple. Far more exposure to loss.

I got an update from Microsoft wanting me to try Windows 10. But, I don't want to try it because it really SUCKS!. I checked out this horrible software on a laptop in Wal-Mart. And for every New Version of Windows that come out it only gets worse. I don't understand why Microsoft is even offering this unless too many people hate it and this is the only way they can stick us with it.

Have any of you gotten this Windows 10 upgrade? If so how many of you downloaded and how do you like it.

On my job at work, but i hated it somehow. It looked better, but search for programs didn't work aswell as on windows 8.1. I'll probably install it on my home pc soon, just to get rid of the message. Many people seem to like it, but i think it's mostly because they get rid of Windows 8's metro screen. Seems like a step up from windows 8 though.

I like 10 more than 8.1 as it has less of an identity crisis on a desktop/laptop. Not everyone uses tablets for everything. Anyway, thought people might like this:
misc_cartoon420.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom