• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Windows 10 Update

Dirtdigger

V.I.P Member
I got an update from Microsoft wanting me to try Windows 10. But, I don't want to try it because it really SUCKS!. I checked out this horrible software on a laptop in Wal-Mart. And for every New Version of Windows that come out it only gets worse. I don't understand why Microsoft is even offering this unless too many people hate it and this is the only way they can stick us with it.

Have any of you gotten this Windows 10 upgrade? If so how many of you downloaded and how do you like it.

In the past, Microsoft seemed to release operating systems much like Star Trek movies. That every other one was either really good, or really bad. A dynamic that appears to have changed for the worst, IMO.

With Windows 8 being so incredibly bad, and utterly incompatible with most of my software there's simply no incentive to stick with Microsoft any more. Even if successive versions are marginally better.

Under the circumstances I believe they've effectively neutralized their own perceived monopoly. Further reflected by their intention to simply give away the latest version. Competition simply caught up with them on multiple levels. Having to start from scratch where software is concerned, I'm inclined to think that there are presently much better alternatives beyond Windows 7.

I don't think it's any secret that they are trying to move away from the PC platform altogether. Maybe laptops as well. Attempting to dominate the tablet market...perceiving the PC as "dead". Clearly investors have this vision, IMO.

Last edited:
Yes, I got an alert too! It seems I pressed reserved and so, will receive notification when I can download it.

I am hoping that if it is rubbish, I can revert back to an earlier time.

What is it about windows 10 that sucks to you?

I haven't tried Windows 10 yet, since my desktop computer is temporarily broken.

Have you tried Ubuntu Linux? It's a good, free alternative.

No, I haven't tried Linux yet, though I've been serious about it. I've heard a lot of good things about it and I built a computer that don't have an operating system on it yet. So I may be checking out Linux again getting more serious.

Yes, I got an alert too! It seems I pressed reserved and so, will receive notification when I can download it.

I am hoping that if it is rubbish, I can revert back to an earlier time.

What is it about windows 10 that sucks to you?

The biggest thing that sucks for me since I like to do computer art and edit photos, is "Paint". Incredibly horrible.

I hate the layout on the desktop with all of those giant icons and I find it difficult to navigate. It may be OK for most people with limited uses but I do special things on my computer since I'm an artist.

I just wonder if I can even download Microsoft Office 7 on Windows 10.

Anyhow, after spending a half hour messing around with Windows 10, it was a complete turn off.

If you have questions about it, let me know. :)

You can also run it from a thumb drive without installing it, just to try it out.

Thanks. I wonder if a person can run an OS on a thumb drive so If I have questions I will sure ask.

I've been seeing an icon to upgrade to Windows 10 in my taskbar for the past few days. I've always hidden it because I like Windows 7 well enough. Besides, I've seen Windows 8 and I don't like it.

Once I got used to Win 8, I like it well enough (and yes, I was very familiar with Win 7 before this). Win 10 is supposed to be to Win 8 what Win 7 was to Win Vista. So...Vista made some major changes beyond XP, then Win 7 fixed a bunch of Vista's problems and worked way better than if they had just stuck with XP's paradigm. The expectation is that Win 10 will be the same kind of improvement. Win 8 changed a bunch of stuff, then Win 10 will take into account market feedback and fix the problems...hopefully. That said, I don't plan to upgrade to Win 10 until they've had a chance to work out some of the bugs. Maybe this fall.

FYI, the Win 10 upgrade is free to both Win 7 and Win 8.1 users for one year. After that, you'll have to pay for the upgrade. You might like Win 7 now, but it's on the way out. Microsoft is no longer providing mainstream support for it, so eventually stuff won't work on it anymore.

And then there's always Linux...but you gotta get used to using command line at least a little bit to work with that much.

As for Paint...it's a really easy, light program to use for very basic fixes, but there's a bunch of free stuff that is even better. My daughter and I both use Gimp...it's free, and works really well.

I don't think it's any secret that they are trying to move away from the PC platform altogether. Maybe laptops as well. Attempting to dominate the tablet market...perceiving the PC as "dead". Clearly investors have this vision, IMO.

I don't disagree, but this does make me frustrated for my current and future work. The industry I work in is not quick to update hardware or software, which puts my employer in the odd position of both needing to be compatible with everything from XP to tablets and smartphones. It's like pulling teeth to get some businesses to advance their technology because nobody wants to spend money on it.

which puts my employer in the odd position of both needing to be compatible with everything from XP to tablets and smartphones

It's absolutely amazing to me the number--and types--of businesses still using XP. They had custom programs or whatever written for XP, and that stuff isn't compatible with later Windows versions. And like you said, they don't want to spend the money to upgrade either hardware or software.

It's absolutely amazing to me the number--and types--of businesses still using XP. They had custom programs or whatever written for XP, and that stuff isn't compatible with later Windows versions. And like you said, they don't want to spend the money to upgrade either hardware or software.

True. I doubt few business entities are so eager to fiscally keep in lockstep with Microsoft or any other vendor in this sensitive economy allegedly in "recovery". Yeah, my dentist is still using XP too. Not to mention the software costs of having to upgrade simply because the OS no longer supports the software. That's a critical issue to me.

I may remove that silly icon. Thanks for the link.

I dual boot to Windows for games because Wine can't seem to handle the latest version of my game. I don't think it's Wine's fault. I use a flavor of Ubuntu called Mint. I can't say that it is better than Ubuntu itself but I like it better.

I have Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 10030 dual booted to Windows 8.1
When my computer will upgrade to Windows 10?

I have Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 10030 dual booted to Windows 8.1 When my computer will upgrade to Windows 10?

So your Windows 8.1 doesn't presently show the upgrade tray icon?

Just guessing, but it's possible the upgrade (KB3035583) may not even automatically install if you already have Windows 10 preview. You may have to uninstall Windows 10 preview before the upgrade tray icon shows and functions properly. Do a search to see if KB3035583 is already on your drive.

Update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1

or (quoting Microsoft Support)

If you don’t see the Get Windows 10 app on your PC, it might be because:

1. Your device isn’t up-to-date with at least Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
  2. Windows Update is turned off or is not set to received updates automatically.
  3. You’ve blocked or uninstalled the necessary Windows Update functionality.
  4. Your device is not running genuine Windows.
Running Windows Update and installing any available updates will fix the first three issues.

KB3035583 installed but not icon on taskbar - Microsoft Community

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that I have "Reserved" my copy of Windows 10 as well. I can wipe it if it doesn't work out or use the other Win7 license I have remaining. I will probably be working mostly from Linux Mint when they fully drop support for Win7 and just use Windows for games.

Not guy I'm always using Windows 10 Insider Preview, and didn't mention the problem since I've many time didn't boot to windows 8

It is perfectly possible to have an OS on a thumb drive so long as your BIOS can boot from a usb device.

I also love Linux as it runs the way I want not forcing me to adopt new habits to fit the software.

I've been running the Insider Preview in VB (I have a Mac and also run 8.1 in Boot Camp), and honestly, I'm not terribly impressed thus far. Is it better than Windows 8? Yes, but only marginally. Personally, I'm finding it even more convoluted than 8, though that will likely change as I get more used to it; and there are probably still some bugs to be worked out. FWIW, I did reserve my copy in my Win8 partition.

My own opinion: If you are running 8, go for it. If you're running 7, STICK WITH 7! :p

New Threads

Top Bottom