• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why Was My Evaluation So Short?

bentHnau

Exploding Radical
The ASD evaluations I've read about last 3-6 hours, and sometimes continue over multiple days.

I had an ASD evaluation four days ago and it lasted less than two hours. That was even less than they told me it would last. It was with a psychologist contracted by a state agency for developmental disabilities (not just a random shrink) so I assume that they have some idea of what they are doing. I didn't get any IQ testing beyond Raven's Matrices...but, is that all that makes the time difference? I seriously doubt that it had to do with me being easy to diagnose, because multiple other shrinks have told me that I was difficult to diagnose.

This is what happened:

He showed me a book with no words and asked me to talk about what was happening in the pictures. Then I did the same thing with a laminated drawing or painting, then with a series of black and white pictured cards. He gave me a towel and a bar of soap and told me to use gestures to show him how humans wash their faces and brush their teeth, pretending that he knew no human languages. He gave me a bag full of totally random items (plastic tennis ball, a mini playing card, popsicle stick, red block, etc.) and told me to make up a story, commercial, etc. about them. He asked me several questions about what my feelings felt like, my future plans (work and education), my motivation and feelings about my hobbies, the dynamics of my past friendships and relationship, and getting along with others at work/school. Near the end he left the room and then returned with a few items for me to play with while he made his final notes.

I wonder if I've been cheated out of tests that could have made a difference.

This is probably a question best posed to the diagnosing psychologist. All I can really tell you is that no two diagnostic procedures are going to be exactly the same in this field, especially for something like ASD.

If you still have doubts, you're free to seek a second opinion from someone else.

My test was a bit more extensive, but I had a similar test with the picture where I had to explain what was going on. I remember a few other tests with pictures of eyes and all, and then there were lists of questionaires.

What actually might been the "issue" with your diagnosis, is that the ones for your evaluation are suffering the same cutbacks as anywhere else right now. Those tests cost a lot of money, even the forms to fill it out on. Yes, you could copy it, and I have seen it, but technically it's illegal, and thus they must purchase official documents from the company that makes up these tests. If there's an audit and they have copies they will be in trouble. I once managed to have a peek into the expenses of these forms, and they are really, really expensive (and honestly I don't know why it should be that heavily priced).

So one can assume that the psychologist who did your assessment provided tests, that are financially more viable for them in the long run. There is no set method how to diagnose someone. I mean, psychology in general is based on the observation of behaviour, and either it's forms you fill out yourself or just one-on-one interviews where they inquire about your interpretation.

What also is worth noting, depending on age, it might be "easier" to diagnose someone who is a bit older (adult), rather than a child or a teen. Up until your teenage years you can still change and it's harder to pinpoint it exactly, the more mature you are, the more you are aware and can label and name things.

Mine was about 2 hours long when I had it done in college two years ago. It was a very easy diagnosis for the clinician...

New Threads

Top Bottom