• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quality, not quantity. Post count and karma mean nothing to me, I don't focus on just the trees. You have plenty of time to gather your thoughts, so use it. I should probably take my own advice now that I mention it :)

And yeah, I've seen this on other forums as well, where (unfortunately) people use it as leverage to determine their behavior towards other members. Really makes me facepalm, but what can you do...

I also see this relevant in social media, like on Twitter and in particular Facebook which is run on algorithms.

It reacts to everyone's input and then throws back suggestions and in the long run shapes and moulds people's behaviours.

Not too distant an analogy then, when comparing it to some of these forum tools and how we react to them?

I need to start here by posting that the staff you deal with daily had nothing to do with this change.

If you were to ask me,the staff here does a pretty good job of keeping this forum safe and friendly. I can't thank each one of them enough for what they give to AspiesCentral,y'all might want to consider thanking them too for being there for you.

@Brent the forum owner is the only one who has access to making those types of changes,so until he actually sees this thread that I moved to the appropriate forum area,nothing,if anything, will change for now.

I'm not really in favor of it,because my own name is on it,but is it really that offensive that one can't just scroll below it and make it go away?

Ok,first off,some of these post whores are just very active members who have spent quite a bit of our time here adding to threads,or just having fun on music threads or forum games.

That doesn't make them any better than any other member,it just shows how much time they had to give.
Please excuse us for doing so,but maybe we just like the place.

In fact,my posts are usually very direct and as concise as I can make them,so don't count on me posting rubbish just to drive my numbers up,it ain't gonna happen...

If you took notice,your overall posters here became staff at one point in time or another or have been active members for a long time. Do you think there might just be something to that?

I like it enough to accept my minor role here as one of your forum administrators. I find reward in giving a little something back for what I get from here.
To me,that's a win/win,even though I hate that phrase.

Ok,many of us have ad blocking software and would never see the ads here no matter how we view it.
It works,but gives nothing back.
I joined up as a VIP,to help support the server costs and to give a little bit back to Brent who has to keep us afloat by selling advertising space and memberships.

Looking back on it,I should probably donate more and continue to boost the interest in VIP memberships.
Do y'all know that you can gift them to other members?
Not a bad idea on how to make a good friend here,and every little bit helps in the bigger picture.

I think a good idea might have been to open a poll,so any member who had a thought on it could show whether they favor or dislike the change.
That would be democratic if you were to ask me ;)

Last edited:
I can see how itemizing numbers of posts can annoy or even perhaps intimidate some. After all, communication even in text doesn't necessarily come easy for those on the spectrum.

Though equally Nitro brings up a very good point. Clearly this is an immensely popular forum among those of us on the spectrum. So it stands to reason that some will be more enthusiastic than others about posting in general. That's a good thing. Not something to disparage.

However I do believe in promoting solidarity over anything that might reflect competitiveness. That's all.

I don't get why this is being made out to be such a big deal.
The number of posts a person makes shows on the avatar, too,
but I haven't heard much flak about that.

I don't get why this is being made out to be such a big deal.
The number of posts a person makes shows on the avatar, too,
but I haven't heard much flak about that.

Well, there's some real irony in that. To me it isn't the content that bothers me. It's the placement of it. Had this been positioned at the bottom of the page I personally wouldn't have given it a thought. ;)

But placing it as the first thing you see....it gives a perception of priority. A minor creative/publishing error IMO.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was surprised last week when I saw it, too.
At the top of the page.

What I'd like to see as a regular feature is a weekly
tally or graph showing the number of new members.

What I'd like to see as a regular feature is a weekly
tally or graph showing the number of new members.

That's tricky. Publicly posting intricate site statistics and trends can do two things. They can promote a potential increase in traffic, however the numbers alone can also inadvertently promote the reciprocal if trends are reversed.

The trick being in posting numbers without necessarily indicating trends. Otherwise the overall number of members speaks loudly and positively for this forum.

It's why counters disappeared from most reputable websites early in the age of the World Wide Web. ;)

Last edited:
Surely saying welcome to a new member like we all once was, aint a crime is it? Most of my posts are to welcome people....! Ive no interest in being top of any table...! Cant we all have fun now, please....!

Surely saying welcome to a new member like we all once was, aint a crime is it? Most of my posts are to welcome people....! Ive no interest in being top of any table...! Cant we all have fun now, please....!

Well, it's not bad news to see some relatively new members being such avid posters. This is good. :)

Maybe even inspirational to those who have difficulty in posting and interacting with others who are usually complete strangers. Your voices are important!

Not tricky at all really.
I should have made it more clear.
Not a counter/not a ticker.

A report, for Staff.
Not anything that promotes trends or whatever.
Just the numbers.

Not tricky at all really.
I should have made it more clear.
Not a counter/not a ticker.

A report, for Staff.
Not anything that promotes trends or whatever.
Just the numbers.

You mean as a moderator you want permissive access to your site's log analysis.

That's a device provided by the host that shows a whole lot of statistics, but usually only afforded to those with administrative access. Strictly a private affair.

Forget it.

All I meant was I liked seeing how many members sign up
each week, instead of monthly total.

No amazing permissions.
No special access.
No nothing.

I regret making the wistful comment, "out loud."
I didn't realize it would be such provocative thought.

Well, there's some real irony in that. To me it isn't the content that bothers me. It's the placement of it. Had this been positioned at the bottom of the page I personally wouldn't have given it a thought.

Good point. Most boards I've seen have all that stats stuff right at the bottom. Including shoutboxes which are another distraction.

Thing is, I mentioned this before, first impressions. It's the front door and that is the first thing a person will see because it sticks out.

It could deter new members, if anything. After seeing so many agreements like others saying they don't like it and why, maybe they will get rid of it or stick it downstairs.

Well, it's not bad news to see some relatively new members being such avid posters. This is good. :)

Maybe even inspirational to those who have difficulty in posting and interacting with others who are usually complete strangers. Your voices are important!
Your right there..! Some people find posting less stressful than opening up to a person standing there staring at them.. Its good to be part of a decent understanding community. ..!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom