• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

When In Rome

Untitled.png

Just been appearing at the top of the forum page, wasn't there before.

Reason?

yeah, who cares <yawn> .Just another distraction.
About those flickering ads..the site is populated by autistics...some epileptic...o_O

Well, the cynical side of me says it's just to get more posts by the users by giving a sense of competition. Kinda works for me to be honest.

About those flickering ads..the site is populated by autistics...some epileptic...o_O

Good point. Is there a disable function in settings so you don't have to put up with those or - maybe there ought to be.

@Southern Discomfort I'm sure the post whores will love it but my point would be that it's not very democratic, just to put it there like, were any members asked if they wanted it?

Well I think this is the time and place to say whether you like it or not. But this site like many others isn't exactly designed by a committee either. I'd change the layout if I could of the home and forum front page if I could too. But it's not for me to decide.

Good point. Is there a disable function in settings so you don't have to put up with those or - maybe there ought to be.

An ad blocker works. I have AdBlock installed on chrome, and couldn't understand why as part of the VIP membership 'no ads' was touted as a benefit...because I have never been able to see them. Then I realised AdBlock had removed them all already :rolleyes::p

Well I think this is the time and place to say whether you like it or not.

Perhaps and kind of why I raised the issue. After all it's there now and you can't turn it off if you don't care to see it. My concern is it portrays a 'who is top' mentality which isn't healthy IMO - I don't really need to know that Mr X posted 25 times or has done this or that.

My concern is it portrays a 'who is top' mentality

I get your point. I would argue that this is already of kind there in the form of who joined when and how many posts they've made, as listed on the right in any thread. But this now certainly does emphasise that. You do also get this under the 'Members' tab.

On the other hand though, is it wrong for people to get recognition for being really active and engaging members in this community? Even if it may come over like a bit of a race to some people. And is this different to the VIP option you have?

I get your point. I would argue that this is already of kind there in the form of who joined when and how many posts they've made, as listed on the right in any thread. But this now certainly does emphasise that. You do also get this under the 'Members' tab.

On the other hand though, is it wrong for people to get recognition for being really active and engaging members in this community? Even if it may come over like a bit of a race to some people. And is this different to the VIP option you have?

No the VIP position is entirely different because a) you have to pay for it and b) it is for bonuses like editing post time and bits and bobs - to wit, I couldn't care less if I have a blue bar, see?

There is of course nothing inherently wrong to receive or show recognition but as you point out, the stats are already there under the members tab.

There is no need to have it as a poster or billboard IMO - first impressions and all that?

I may be in a minority but if I were considering joining a forum and saw this, I would be put off joining.

if it was my forum,i would personally turn off the post number field so that people cant see post numbers,i think that they make some people post more crap because theyre trying to raise their count,although its not so common on AC but its a function i do not like and did not include on any of my old sites.
i also dont like the way some high post number people treat people [with lower post counts] like crap,it is very immature.

on one forum i used to be on,until i got badly bullied [not WP] it had a similar function to the karma thing,it had a thumbs up [i think] and thumbs down on your profile so it could be seen on every post you make.
i was badly bullied there and they thumbed me down lots so i was never talked to again as people refused to talk to you if you were in the red as it was associated with trolling,people left comments in my profile like 'retard' and i just left it,upset and id paid for a lifetime VIP account.
so im not so keen on the karma thing either as it can be used to manipulate people in a way.

if it was my forum,i would personally turn off the post number field so that people cant see post numbers,i think that they make some people post more crap because theyre trying to raise their count,although its not so common on AC but its a function i do not like and did not include on any of my old sites.

:) Hallelujah! I'm not alone in this then.

hell no! i hate that post count bar menacingly staring at you at the top.
it really irritates me but i understand that some people are ok with it.

I've never understood the intention. If someone joins and makes an interesting contribution in their first posts then how are they less proficient than another member who has, say, eight thousand posts? The answer is they're not but some will choose to imagine that they are more important because of a large post count and generally speaking, like yourself and if I ran a forum, I would disable it.

It baffles me. To be blunt, it strikes me as a waste of "screen real estate".

Especially given the need to make the interface more usable with mobile devices.

I don't like it, makes me anxious each time I see it. As if I'm part of some sort of competition, instead of a place I like to come to.

Last edited:
Redundant and unnecessary clutter. This isn't a race for me, if I feel like posting something then I will. If not, then I won't.

I don't like it, makes me anxious/nervous/stressed every time I see it. As if I'm part of some sort of competition. Going to figure out a way to block it.

That's kind of how I feel too. This isn't a peasants revolt though. we're just saying whether we like this or not, right

Quality, not quantity. Post count and karma mean nothing to me, I don't focus on just the trees. You have plenty of time to gather your thoughts, so use it. I should probably take my own advice now that I mention it :)

And yeah, I've seen this on other forums as well, where (unfortunately) people use it as leverage to determine their behavior towards other members. Really makes me facepalm, but what can you do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom