• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do others tell me to go to bars so much?

I think that bars are overrated. When did people lose their imagination and adopt a drinking culture. There is so much more out there.

I recommend looking for people who share a common interest. I was looking to improve my public speaking which led me to my local Toastmasters and the website www.meetup.com.

Meetup.com is amazing. There is something there for everyone to get involved in. There are groups for people who enjoy walking or photography, learning a new language, crafts, etc.

Yuck. A bar is just a lot of neurotypical nonsense. I don't enjoy sitting in a dark, loud, smoky room, with people falling off their chairs all around me, with no hold on reality.

Stay home with a good book, or binge watch a favorite geek show. I promise it'll be a happier night.

Going to a bar to meet people just seems like a bad idea. I enjoy bars, because I enjoy food and drink and hanging around people (even if I'm not interacting with them, which I'm usually not, aside from the occasional small talk).

However "go to a place with a bunch of drunk strangers in hopes of meeting a life partner" just seems like a good way to meet someone who will take advantage of you instead. Bars are a big part of hook-up-culture though ("go to a bar to meet someone for a one night stand") - which may be why I think they're bad places to meet people for a relationship.

I find noise and lights so nerve wracking I cannot go into anywhere that has so much going on. I like libraries or coffee shops for getting out.

So do you have any hobbies? Tennis or horseback riding would be a good way to meet others.

Not sure why ppl say bars, find other ppl to listen too sounds like bad advice.

New Threads

Top Bottom