• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do I suffer constantly?

ftfipps

I feel like every day is a bad dream.
* I can't stand my direct next door neighbors but I can't move, I can't afford to.
*I have a horrible addiction problem that I've been having trouble with for years.
*I have trouble holding down jobs because people don't understand autism.
* I'm paranoid because of past bad experiences with bad people.

What do I do? I'm at the end of my rope.

I think of life like a pair of scales.
While everyday may be like a bad dream, I try to find some moments that aren't.
Even if the minutes or an hour spent in some peace is fleeting, add those times to one side
of the scales.
I find peace in meditation, alone time with rest and music, time spent doing something I can get lost
in for a while, quite time alone in nature, sleep when it comes without dreams.
It can be a moment as fleeting as seeing an eagle fly over the car.

While this won't cure the problems that make things feel as daily suffering, it gives a break.
They add up in your brain and body. Then try to find a way to work on the problems.
One thing at a time so not become overwhelmed.

I'm stuck too in situations I see no way out of due to lack of money and health problems.
I desire the feeling of home, security, someone I can truly trust and feel love and comfort with
that will not be shallow. For now it feels like I'm alone in a world full of people.
But, when your stuck on a rollercoaster, may as well ride it out.

I think that meditation and/or mindfulness techniques might help to relax and clear your mid of negative thoughts, even if just for a few minutes.

I felt the same way, also had addictions, also couldn't keep a job and stopped trying for about two years. Two friends convinced me to go back to therapy and the therapist convinced me to go back to a psychiatrist. From there, everything got better. Super long story made short, I hope it helps! Good luck!

Being ASD, your way out of suffering may be highly unusual and creative.

Sometimes I think we are influenced by the NT Way to Happiness, but it may not be effective on Aspies.

I like Hipparchia. She was a woman who married an early Cynic. Early Cynics lived like dogs (κύων, κυνός= cynic) and her husband-to-be put her off, even stripping down to the buff and telling her, "This is all I have."

But she persisted and he married her. AND It made her more than happy to live with Crates in this fashion, apart from everything everyone was telling her she needed to be happy.

She was very happy with Crates, his poverty, his searching for virtue and meaning and she would have been grossly unhappy with NT joys.

Here is an epigram which may have been either on her tomb or one like it........

I, Hipparchia chose not the tasks of rich-robed woman, but the manly life of the Cynic.
Brooch-clasped tunics, well-clad shoes, and perfumed headscarves pleased me not;
But with wallet and fellow staff, together with coarse cloak and bed of hard ground,
My name shall be greater than Atlanta: for wisdom is better than mountain running.

I guess my point is that there are many ways out of suffering and some may be creative and even go right against the common grain.

Very insightful. Finding the creative and unusual way out of suffering happens to be where I am right now....and it’s working.

Just try and live your own life as best you can.

I can't even get a job because as soon as I declare my AS and other disabilities they bin my application, hence I've been saying for years that the equality laws in the UK aren't worth spit because the government will never enforce them, the 2010 Equality Act came in under Labour, and now the Tories run the Country, it's not enforced either.

Very insightful. Finding the creative and unusual way out of suffering happens to be where I am right now....and it’s working.
Can you elaborate on what you're doing?

Welcome to my world of hell.. Every day is constant torture every time I'm around people or outside of my home... Every day, I have to go out into the world of torture where everything is too loud, too smelly, too bright, and I'm crying and begging for my life of suffering to end.. I can't stand going out into the loud, smelly, bright helll! It's bad enough these snobs of people are always staring at me when I go into a store or anywhere else, and I have to glare as I walk by. I just can't.. I van already see my future as in a straight jacket in a mental hospital just banging my head on a wall and crying. That'd what I see in my future. Obviously, God made a mistake, and I am it..

Hate to say this but the universe is indifferent to human suffering. Some people suffer more than others and there really isn't some sort grand reason for all of it. Though I think if you reach out and seek professional help you could overcome at least two of those four things you listed.

I was there not too long ago. I thought I had to just dump everything and start over. Even in a house I loved but a neighborhood and HOA I hated. I thought about it enough and tried to figure out what would make the most change for me. Which was moving. I didn't think I could afford to move either, mostly because of all my experiences of getting shot down over the years. But when I really tried, it surprised me and I actually could afford to move. It wasn't easy but I did it. Now I did have some pretty considerable problems after that, but moving was the biggest step in the right direction.

Hey, gang. Things have gotten way better. I was having a bout of extreme depression. I'm also slightly paranoid, too. I'm going to visit family soon and that will be therapeutic.

The way I see it, society never wanted me, so I’ve pretty much turned my back on it. I enjoy being myself and being rebellious. Nobody knows I’m on the spectrum except my wife. Not even my parents. If someone doesn’t like me, I keep being me even more and take pleasure in knowing that my mere existence infuriates them.

As for happiness, (in my opinion/experience) that comes from understanding, accepting, and finally learning to be happy with who you are. I love being different/weird/etc. I am not by any means, like the next guy. So what I did, I found a weird Ass chick with a big heart, (actually she found me) and married her. Once I got to the point where I just didn’t care about the rest of the world, i somehow became functional. I’m still uneasy around others but I hide it well and have actually made a few friends surprisingly. They’d never guess, but it doesn’t matter. They like and accept me as different. Or maybe they do know and just haven’t told me. I don’t care either way.

Point I’m mqking is it all starts with you. Learn to enjoy the good parts of the spectrum. (Like being good at problem solving, learning things easily from you tube videos and internet research, being good at building/fixing things, or whatever your particular gifts are).

I’ve also taken a lot of classes on psychology and body language and that’s helped me dramatically with functioning in society. I still struggle to determine whether someone is speaking seriously or sarcastically at times, but as far as understanding and functioning with the rest of the world, I’m getting there, and I only do it when necessary. And it helps that I live in a small county town with more animals than people.

I also struggle with addiction (opiates) and I know one day things will be different. That’s the hope I cling to.

As far as past experiences, I don’t trust people. It takes a lot to earn my trust and it takes a long long time. But people don’t have to know you don’t trust them. Just treat em like you would anyone else and keep your guard up at all times. You can still exist without givin em a chance to burn ya.

I over explain everything, but the most important thing I can say is to love who you are, and learn to see some good about the spectrum instead of all of the things that make life difficult. I hope this helps.

I knew a long time ago that I would never have a wife and kids, a good job or lots of money. I already knew that. I understand the turning inward idea, That is all I do. Because of my neighbors I am an outcast in my own neighborhood. I appreciate all the positive feedback but I am past the point in my life where I would cheer up and say, I can do this. I am tired of trying to convince people that I am actually worth a damn. The young, unsuspicious go-getter I used to be is dead. Due to the merciless persecution and mud slinging I have been met with in work a day society, I am tense and guarded with everything I say around people. I find people to be very bland and predictable. I escape my impoverished existence with drugs. I rationalize it by thinking, I will be high for a few hours and as an added bonus, It may kill me. That's why I use drugs.

Ok first off, pm me if you want to talk more about “my way” (don’t teally know another way) of dealing with it.

Next, do you tell people you’re an aspie?

I don’t. I hide it well. Granted I didn’t even know up until about 6 months ago, I thought I was just socially awkward. Set aside the wife/kids/job cause all that CAN happen. I felt the same way exactly, and my wife worked with me and made the first moves and fell in love with me. I tried pushing her away, but she just wouldn’t go. Now we both understand what I am and she is patient and loving and I couldn’t be happier.

Now I hide my hfa really well. No temper tantrums at work, and try to ignore things that drive my ocd crazy. People think I’m just like them just with a lot of weird routines and ocd, and I’m goofy. My defense mechanism is just making dirty, inappropriate and immature jokes and surprisingly, people almost always laugh. I just be weird and don’t care and people like it. I also took as many college classes on psychology and body language as I could. That was a huge help. I learn more from watching people than listening to them. Especially with others.

When I started my new job, I’d listen to my coworkers talk amongst eachother and look for patterns or topics that I was able to talk to them about. People love to talk about themselves or what they like. For example some of my coworkers talked about guns, I’m into guns, or cars, etc. things with a lot of different types/styles/sizes/etc, give room for a lot of conversation. Whenever I’m in doubt, I like to go with dogs. It’s only let me down once. Almost everyone loves dogs or has something positive to speak of on the subject.

I’ve learned to interact with people the way I learn how to fix cars/houses/etc. I watch and learn. People actually think I’m very funny and always tell me how witty I am and I’m sittin there like “no dude I’m autistic”. But they’ll never know.

If I can do it, you can too!!!

I also found it helpful to expirament with people I’d never see again. Like going to a gas station (I only go to one cause that’s how I am, so I’d intentionally go to ones that I knew I was never coming back to) and talking to whoever is behind the counter. Make it short and sweet and pay close attention to what you say or talk about and their responses.

I also would talk to women this way, kinda how I learned how to interact with women. I’d go into a gas station or store or whatever and compliment her. But not just hey “you’re hot” or “hey you got a great body”, I would compliment things that others would look right passed. Tell her she has a beautiful smile, or really nice eyes, or gorgeous hair etc. but maintain eye contact when you do it, and break eye contact for a few seconds to glance around the store so you’re not staring. And always smile when you do.

I hope this helps. Pm me more if you want to talk more about this or need advice. To me, this is kinda like practice to build confidence so you can talk to your neighbors. Who knows, they could end up becoming your friends.

So I just reread my post and as usual I started overthinking everything. So first off, I didn’t mean that to come off as arrogant or anything. I didn’t mean to sound like I have a magic, one size fits all solution. I don’t know how you are or which aspects of being an aspie hit you the hardest, and I’d never pretend to

My whole point was basically that what I said is what worked for me. Everybody is different but since most of us seem to lack social confidence, I feel one of the most important steps is building confidence. Hope I didn’t offend anyone and I hope this helped.

New Threads

Top Bottom