• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do I get so upset when...

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
I was out for the evening, stopped by the grocery store for a quick food run (it's always open until 10 PM), got there at 9:15 and they were already closed! Something about two days this week with a 9 PM close :grin: So I ended up going home empty handed, I suppose I'll be okay

And I'm still irked about the fact that pre-Covid they used to stay open until 11 PM, and the new permanent closing time seems to be 10 PM, which is far too early. The odd time I bring that up staff members they seem so happy about that, but I'll bet the customers aren't happy

It's just that when I go out for the evening, there were lots of times I went for a few items at 10:30 PM and now I feel like I'm rushing myself now.

I know at least some of you are probably early to bed and have no idea why this bugs me :oops:

I actually do understand why it bugs you... I'm a late night person too most of the time, and I often do end up running to the grocery store very late at night. The one across the street from me is now open until 11pm though!

I have the same issue. I ask cashier, how long are you open? We are open 24 hours. Drove there at 10:15 pm. Sign on door says, understaffed. Store closed tonite. Really hit or miss. I wish they had a open sign on their window. Our bank turns over new employees and managers about every month. That's two different banks. And they can't get employees. It says the minimum wage sucks to me.

Last edited:
In my parts, 9 PM and 10 PM are the most common closing times for grocers.

One of the 10 PM stores I used to frequent regularly in the last hour since that's when they started marking stuff down.

In my parts, 9 PM and 10 PM are the most common closing times for grocers.

One of the 10 PM stores I used to frequent regularly in the last hour since that's when they started marking stuff down.

That's way too early for me! My habit is perhaps once a week as I head home from a performance or club meeting, or... to stop in and grab an item or two I need

But if the performance goes a little later, even 10 PM is a stretch, which is rather annoying when I remember the 11 PM days

I was out for the evening, stopped by the grocery store for a quick food run (it's always open until 10 PM), got there at 9:15 and they were already closed! Something about two days this week with a 9 PM close :grin: So I ended up going home empty handed, I suppose I'll be okay

And I'm still irked about the fact that pre-Covid they used to stay open until 11 PM, and the new permanent closing time seems to be 10 PM, which is far too early. The odd time I bring that up staff members they seem so happy about that, but I'll bet the customers aren't happy

It's just that when I go out for the evening, there were lots of times I went for a few items at 10:30 PM and now I feel like I'm rushing myself now.

I know at least some of you are probably early to bed and have no idea why this bugs me :oops:
There are big staffing shortages right now. Lots of people finding ways to not work for minimum wage at odd hours. Fewer people means fewer hours because owners aren't willing to pony up a higher wage or overtime pay. So they cut out the low traffic hours the store was probably not making much money on anyhow. Even our WalMart isn't 24/7 any more.

@Sherlock77

This might be an empathy "teaching moment" :)
You have every right to be a bit grumpy that the world doesn't match your preferences, but IMO it shouldn't last more than a few minutes.

If a shop is open at 23:00, at least one staff member is accepting either sleep disruption or their waking time being offset from the rest of the world, which isn't good for synchronizing RL social activities.

Given a choice staff will prefer to leave work much earlier than 23:00 + closing time.

Callous owners and managers, on the the hand, care nothing for the lives of their wage-slave minions. They'd like to do business with night owls too, and if they have enough leverage over their workers they will blackmail them into working unreasonable hours at minimum wages.

If you were naturally synchronized to a mainstream daily rhythm (as the majority are) would you side with management or labor?

BTW - outside the US, the majority is far more likely to side with labor than management in cases like this. Somehow even minimum wage earners in US go with the "Social Darwinist" perspective: if someone is prepared to work at minimum wage, they deserve to be blackmailed into ridiculously bad working conditions.

In countries where "Social Democracy" is center/center politically, we think people should be paid for poor working conditions, and that nobody should be pressured by their employers into an unfair situation.

OFC it doesn't work perfectly - our evil bosses want to be as relentlessly exploitative as US bosses - and take advantage of any loopholes in the regulations - but we're less imperfect than the US in this respect :)

There are big staffing shortages right now. Lots of people finding ways to not work for minimum wage at odd hours. Fewer people means fewer hours because owners aren't willing to pony up a higher wage or overtime pay. So they cut out the low traffic hours the store was probably not making much money on anyhow. Even our WalMart isn't 24/7 any more.

Unfortunately... One of the worst after effects of Covid is these reduced hours at stores... Even our local "truck stop" diner is no longer 24/7... Less services overall across the economy

It's weird that businesses (or perhaps governments?) are even clinging to these archaic rules, considering the fact that covid is usually airborne and definitely just as contagious during the day as it is at night. Closing early really isn't doing anything to help the spread of it anyway, especially when nobody (at least in the US) is even wearing masks anymore.

But I'm also laughing in the face of everyone I know who doesn't wear a mask and keeps getting covid, not gonna lie. I'll continue wearing mine until all of this is over, and I'm definitely OK with the personal-responsibility aspect of it.

It's weird that businesses (or perhaps governments?) are even clinging to these archaic rules, considering the fact that covid is usually airborne and definitely just as contagious during the day as it is at night. Closing early really isn't doing anything to help the spread of it anyway, especially when nobody (at least in the US) is even wearing masks anymore.

But I'm also laughing in the face of everyone I know who doesn't wear a mask and keeps getting covid, NGL. I'll continue wearing mine until all of this is over, and I'm definitely OK with the personal-responsibility aspect of it.
I still wear mine for literally anything medical, including taking my dogs to the vet, and if I'm going to be in a store for more than two minutes. But no one wears them anymore around here so I do get harassed sometimes :/ Sometimes I'm afraid to wear one because of that tbh.
There haven't been any mask requirements where I live since at least the beginning of 2021.
I still won't do indoor restaurants lol

LA was 24 hours place. At any time of the night, l could pop out and run and errand. Actually nighttime felt safer then daytime for me. Because l was nearly jumped several times in the day for my purse. People see you exit a bank, and you are a target. Night time - people can't really judge your age, if you move a fast pace.

Last edited:
It took me a long time to work out that the local supermarket no longer closed for lunch break (12:30-2), and that I didn’t have to rush whilst in there.

However, I’m still not used to the post office moving to a new place, I keep going to the old one.

The shop opening hours drive me crazy where I live. They open different times on different days, and on Saturday, Monday and Wednesday afternoon stay closed after 2pm. On other days, they close for a siesta and then open again in the evening. So if I need something from the shops and it's Wednesday, I can't get it. I much prefer regular 9-5 daily opening rather than the inconsistent mess that exists in this country.
Supermarkets, luckily, stay open all day.

It says the minimum wage sucks to me.
Some jobs just suck, period. Pay isn't always a factor. Why take an unpleasant job working with the public when there are other opportunites that pay the same or better and don't involve dealing with bungholes all day long? (In case you're wondering, I'll throw myself off a cliff before I ever work retail again.)

Some jobs just suck, period. Pay isn't always a factor. Why take an unpleasant job working with the public when there are other opportunites that pay the same or better and don't involve dealing with bungholes all day long? (In case you're wondering, I'll throw myself off a cliff before I ever work retail again.)
The hospitality industry isn't much better.

New Threads

Top Bottom