• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do I feel like crud after watching movies?

Barely

I just finished watching Infinity War, I enjoyed the hell out of it, loved it, but as usual I feel like absolute crap now. I feel like I've taken a mental punch to the gut, damn near on the verge of tears. It's like I get so invested that I collapse in on myself, I hate it so much. I almost wish I could watch movies in a sort of detached way, with some emotional distance. I donno, I guess the only option is to avoid the movies I know are gonna do this.

Is it the character attachment or coming back to reality that sucks?
If it's the latter marathons until you're tired are nice.

Probably because Infinity War was crap? (IMO)

We saw it the other week, fully expecting it to suck, as per most of the other MCU movies, and to be fair it weren't that bad.

Im usually tired after seeing a action movie.

And this one was particulary exhausting with big scale events and different naratives switching through the movie.

I realy liked it a lot , one of my favorite MCU movie, maybe second after winter soldier. But unfortunatly i could not get invested in the movie as much as i was for other movies i realy loved, i dont know why, maybe i need more build up in a movie in general.

The ending is realy good in term of writting and story telling, the prb is that im too old to get tricked and the marketing spoils what will be the impact of this event, so this was a bit of a letdown emotionnaly.
I liked logan's end better in term of emotionnal investement.

I find I get invested into characters on TV shows. The show, ER, the episode where Mark Greene leaves for the final time always gets to me.

I still recall how I felt in the movie theater after the first 15 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan".

For all the war movies I've seen over my lifetime, I never encountered one such as this which so excellently projected the agony and stress of combat in real-time.

I was exhausted, hoping for the whole D-Day sequence to come to an end. :eek:

Yeah, if and when you become invested in something, it weighs heavier on your heart and mind I suppose. Whether at the end, middle or beginning of a film or tv show.

I still find myself agonizing over Doc Martin trying to get along with his wife Louisa. I want to tell myself they're just fictional characters...but then I begin to wonder about real people with the same issues. And I can certainly relate to that neurological divide between the two of them. It's supposed to be a comedy-drama, but sometimes it reminds me of some painful memories. :oops:

Last edited:
I still find myself agonizing over Doc Martin trying to get along with his wife Louisa. I want to tell myself they're just fictional characters...but then I begin to wonder about real people with the same issues. And I can certainly relate to that neurological divide between the two of them. It's supposed to be a comedy-drama, but sometimes it reminds me of some painful memories. :oops:[/QUOTE]

Love that show and can totally relate to watching with some distress the conflicts between them. Remains to be seen if they can bridge the divide that separates them.

I appreciate all the replies, I've never really talked about my stuff before.

I think maybe it's because I got so in to it that the fact that it ends just makes me incredibly sad, which is stupid, but *shrug*. I had problems with Buffy as a teen, silly as that is, I would get hugely depressed when a season ended, I can't watch it to this day without huge amounts of pain.

I guess I get overly attached in the 2 hours I spend watching, and then it hurts it stops? It feels pretty stupid, to get so attached to something so throwaway as a movie in such a short amount of time that it hurts when it stops.

I think maybe it's because I got so in to it that the fact that it ends just makes me incredibly sad, which is stupid, but *shrug*. I had problems with Buffy as a teen, silly as that is, I would get hugely depressed when a season ended, I can't watch it to this day without huge amounts of pain.

I guess I get overly attached in the 2 hours I spend watching, and then it hurts it stops? It feels pretty stupid, to get so attached to something so throwaway as a movie in such a short amount of time that it hurts when it stops.

I would suggest getting invested in long running TV shows however... i don't know if that would amplify the depression once completed.

I still recall how I felt in the movie theater after the first 15 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan".

For all the war movies I've seen over my lifetime, I never encountered one such as this which so excellently projected the agony and stress of combat in real-time.

I was exhausted, hoping for the whole D-Day sequence to come to an end. :eek:

Yeah, if and when you become invested in something, it weighs heavier on your heart and mind I suppose. Whether at the end, middle or beginning of a film or tv show.

I still find myself agonizing over Doc Martin trying to get along with his wife Louisa. I want to tell myself they're just fictional characters...but then I begin to wonder about real people with the same issues. And I can certainly relate to that neurological divide between the two of them. It's supposed to be a comedy-drama, but sometimes it reminds me of some painful memories. :oops:

You might like the 2017 movie Dunkirk then, based on the D-Day landings in Normandy, France in the early 40's during WW II.

Very gritty and realistic, in the UK this movie was premiered on Sky last week.

Yep I feel the same after a movie or several hours of reading. I guess it is how deep or involved you got in the story. At the end is like having my mind tired, and remind myself the movie/story is over and now is time to go back to the real world.

You might like the 2017 movie Dunkirk

Very gritty and realistic, in the UK this movie was premiered on Sky last week.

Dunkirk. The evacuation of British troops from France in 1940.

I already own it on DVD. Not many WW2 classics I don't own. I keep it wedged between "Battle of Britain" and "Hitler: The Rise of Evil". As for "The Longest Day", that one is eleven DVDs to the right. With the last two being "Downfall" and "Hiroshima". Date order and all...left to right. :)

Though kind of cool that this one was an instant classic with the public. Glad to see it got so many Oscar Awards. :cool:

Last edited:

No crazier than me after binge-watching the entire series of "Battlestar Gallactica". Something I do every year and always feel a bit let down when it all ends.

As if I had come to the end of a long journey. Even some individual films can do that to me. ;)

Last edited:

Totally not stupid. That's what fiction stories are for, to experience emotion, to live vicariously adventurous lives through the characters. If you didn't care, what would be the point?

I feel that way especially when I finish a good book, just sad that's it's over and not wanting to read anything else for a while.

Same movie. Same feeling.

I thought of it like this: In general it takes me a lot to follow the characters and their conduct to be able to follow the plot. Then it’s the fact that the plot is unpredictable and challenged my logical outlook. The surprises in the plot kept on overwhelming. Then the ending just had me confused as I was already overwhelmed and I had to cope with the general mood in the audience. I fell asleep in the car and slept for 15 hours straight when I got home.

I always have some kind of feeling of anxiety and dread before seeing a movie, even if I actually do enjoy watching it, and I'm always relieved when it's finally over afterwards. Because of this I haven't watched many movies.

New Threads

Top Bottom