• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do I care?

This photo is excellent. If I were to critique this I would say that the dark truck is balanced well by the woman's overalls. The lines of direction keep you looking at everything - the curve in the cement wall and the spacing of the clouds blending down to the trees on the distant landscape. The faces show that each person is in their own world, a common feature of visiting an overlook. The photo shows real humans, caught at a moment of inner thought. You cropped it well too. This photo, and the few others I have seen, are at a cerebral level that doesn't try to force a message. Your ability to play with lines and shadow impress me the most. You have a unique talent and I wouldn't compromise that at all. I tend to agree with every other post here - you are very talented, your work is quality, and you are not trying to copy another artist's style or methods. Art criticism, especially in a contest, can be difficult for those given the burden/right/responsibility/authority to decide what "good" is. On a personal level, I enjoy photographs, paintings, and sketches that command your attention. You can look at them for a long time and enjoy the experience of examining the details and pondering the scene.

I think many of the winning photos are very formulaic
Art is subjective and I have the same feelings towards other people's art sometimes. But you also have to accept that others 'might' feel the same way about yours. In fact there WILL always be people who don't like it. A good side-step is to concentrate on making it for yourself. Still put it out there but if you're happy, improving where you think you need to, making your pictures the way you believe they should be made then you've already won.

Apparently some judges thought the pickup was too dark
I have to be honest. I didn't notice that, but there's a tip as to what they are looking at when the judge, I guess. Are there any other groups in your area? Someone above suggested looking for a more suitable group. Might be an option if you can find one.

Do these groups offer any kind of criticism or feedback? Your picture is beautifully photographed (you clearly know what you’re doing), but I don’t feel anything when I look at it. There’s nothing unusual or notable about the image. I bought a big book of Diane Arbus’s photographs a few weeks ago, and every picture in it is arresting and moving or unsettling in some way. You want to know the story behind them. I don’t see a story behind your photo or anything about it to “connect” to, which may be why you’re not getting much attention. Your photo is beautiful, but it lacks soul (in my opinion).

So it might be a good idea to request feedback from the people who look at your photos. I actually dislike praise and compliments when it comes to stuff like this. I want hard, honest criticism. Praise tells me nothing.

You want to know the story behind them. I don’t see a story behind your photo or anything about it to “connect” to...
I couldn't disagree more. Arbus's work was gritty and quite extreme but I find the lives of more average people really interesting too. As soon as I looked at the picture he posted above I thought - what are these people doing? What's the story behind it?
I'm not arguing with you but I think this a terrific illustration of how, when it comes to art (and indeed many things), we can think and feel so differently.

I do post them occasionally... Does this make you happy? A weird one, it got a mere 69/100 tonight at the club... And now I'm off to bed...

View attachment 57024

l adore this picture. All the angles came together and the composition is perfect. l could see this pic in commercial use and l can see it on my wall.

All l could think of is Ansel Adams has a brother. l always was in awe of his work.

Last edited:
... And then I went to work for a 10 hour shift, plus some interesting Canadian politics as I got home...

Thanks for all the kind words, I can't respond to everything said, I hesitate to compare myself to people who became famous, but who knows, and there was Vivian Maier, and there is Fred Herzog of Vancouver fame...

And... Yes... The wind sock is in the back of a pickup, it was a zany art installation I stumbled upon, I took lots of photos, mainly of people as they interacted with it, instead of just photographing the wind sock...

And I have tried blogging before, it didn't get very far, have toyed around with the idea of a website, but that's about it...

Last edited:
You can get free website hosting from "own-free-website.com", they're based in Germany and they pay for their services via ads. Also, you wind up with a really weird url, (username).page.tl. But since artists tend not to have much money, and some auties can have issues with paying bills, it's better than trying to curry favor with a bunch of art snobs in some "club". Disclaimer: I use own-free-website but have no other connections to them. Also, I've found that blogs tend to go unnoticed, especially on the big platforms like Blogger and Wordpress. Most of the action is on Youtube now, it seems, as far as blogs go. Best to simply get a website.

New Threads

Top Bottom