• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do I care?

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Re: my photography

It looks to be another season of camera club futility, low scores again, even social media generally seems to ignore me, my latest in a photography Facebook group, three or four likes, all the people doing landscape, nature, etc... get more than enough attention compared to what I get... Perhaps because because it's "prettier" than urban photography which isn't often very pretty...

I know I've ranted before, that few people seem to buy into my photographic/creative vision, which means I don't get much attention from anyone...

I want to pursue my vision even as an amateur, non-professional photographer, just not feeling much love in the process, like a fish swimming upstream (maybe a bad analogy :rolleyes:), just frustrated once again...

I guess I could just quite competing, but I'm on the executive as treasurer, so I'm not quitting the club anytime soon, being loyal... I do know some people who have simply stopped competing while staying involved in the club...

Last edited:
That is so weird!! I love your pictures! You should post them here!

I do post them occasionally... Does this make you happy? A weird one, it got a mere 69/100 tonight at the club... And now I'm off to bed...

Wind Sock 01.jpg

I do post them occasionally... Does this make you happy? A weird one, it got a mere 69/100 tonight at the club... And now I'm off to bed...

View attachment 57024
Seriously? That's an amazing photo. I love the clouds, the shadows, the way the blow up man is floppy...oh, and there's obviously a story to it - why they're there, why they have the floppy man - so that makes it interesting as well.

If this is representative of your work then maybe the club has...bad taste?

I find photographs of mundane objects viewed from a different angle, or photographs that draw one's attention to an object in the street or aspect of something that most people would not give any attention to and not even notice far more interesting than pretty postcard pictures. I remember being in Vancouver and taking pictures of back alleys with electric cables criss-crossing the sky because I found the cables and the pattern they made against the sky interesting.

Perhaps that's an advantage of ASD, that we notice the things that other people miss or take for granted.

Last edited:
In my opinion, to get the higher scores you desire you may need to more deeply learn what compositions get the higher scores in the competition and do that.

If you want the satisfaction of knowing you are creating art for the sake of art and that your entire self is consumed in the art you create and that it makes your heart sing no matter the score ..... then keep creating the work you are creating now.

Most great artists have died with not one ounce of acclaim or celebration. How is that for encouraging (LOL). You understand, yes?

I’ve a friend that is in the same spot you are. He wants everyone to get his art, to feel the passion he feels, to deeply “get it” and approximately 6 out of 10 people do get his art. I told him that those were good statistics. 60% is exceptional for something people really need to work to “get”.

If I may, 69 of 100 is pretty good, maybe? I wonder if the judges might provide feedback on what would have gotten the composition to say 80 or 90.

Keep working. I appreciate your commitment to this club and the role you accepted. I think your example composition in the above comment is great. Thank you for posting. It’s encouraged me to get back to creating as well. Thank you.

Most great artists have died with not one ounce of acclaim or celebration. How is that for encouraging (LOL). You understand, yes?

I’ve a friend that is in the same spot you are. He wants everyone to get his art, to feel the passion he feels, to deeply “get it” and approximately 6 out of 10 people do get his art. I told him that those were good statistics. 60% is exceptional for something people really need to work to “get”.

I do know what you mean, being different doesn't always reward a person, I think many of the winning photos are very formulaic

Is it possible that photos are being scored according to how they comply with "rules" such as the rule of thirds etc.?
Winning competitions is usually a matter of "scoring" points in certain areas, hence they can become formulaic.

If you want to win then learn those formulas but at the same time don't let them obstruct your artistic vision.

Are there other members who take similar to pictures to yours? perhaps just aim to be better than them as a personal target? or if there are enough to start another category (another category could be implemented regardless as an encouragement to get other members into urban)

Your pic above is great, with the exception of the man turned the opposite direction, his head on top of the other man's head doesn't work (for me)
It would look better if he had been separated from the other man, either by a different angle or if he had stood somewhere else. (easier said than done lol).
Also is that column growing out of the truck or just behind it? Looks a bit odd.
So perhaps those two items cost you "points" in the competition as they might both be considered "technically incorrect" though there is little you may have been able to do about either of them unless a better angle had been available.

It's a club. You're dealing and competing with the same personalities and tastes in art over and over with every competition. Why would you expect a different outcome?

If you want to broaden exposure of others to your work, you need to seek other people to see it.

Hi Sherlock. I love your pictures, and agree that you should post more on here now and then. Your photos are unique and make a statement. I also agree that 68 out of 100 is excellent. People have narrow views. They don't understand the talent behind photography, they just see the picture, which how can you mess up with nature? It's like a photo I took of the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. I got so many compliments on it and people saying what a good photographer I was and I'm like - a million people have that exact same photo they took with their own cameras. You can't mess up nature, nature itself is beautiful and appealing to the eye. But it takes talent to find the beauty and appeal in suburban photography, which is what you do. And you bring it out to others. You have a gift, and not everyone can appreciate what you give us.

Is it possible that photos are being scored according to how they comply with "rules" such as the rule of thirds etc.?
Winning competitions is usually a matter of "scoring" points in certain areas, hence they can become formulaic.

If you want to win then learn those formulas but at the same time don't let them obstruct your artistic vision.

Are there other members who take similar to pictures to yours? perhaps just aim to be better than them as a personal target? or if there are enough to start another category (another category could be implemented regardless as an encouragement to get other members into urban)

Your pic above is great, with the exception of the man turned the opposite direction, his head on top of the other man's head doesn't work (for me)
It would look better if he had been separated from the other man, either by a different angle or if he had stood somewhere else. (easier said than done lol).
Also is that column growing out of the truck or just behind it? Looks a bit odd.
So perhaps those two items cost you "points" in the competition as they might both be considered "technically incorrect" though there is little you may have been able to do about either of them unless a better angle had been available.

There is a wind sock/art installation in the bed of the pickup... It is part of the photo... Really the reason for the photo... Apparently some judges thought the pickup was too dark... I can't help what colour it is...

You could always start your own website or blog. Go out to sites where you will have more exposure to people and then this may translate to more passion you will have. You also will have more exposure to other photographers and this will influnce you. You need to do this for you not for 30 40 50 60% of the people. So few people have passion in life. You won me a 100% with your passion to photograph.

Maybe because your not a fake looking for recognition, and the work stands for itself. Some of the most creative photographers in the world, didn't receive much recognition until later in life. Often, they were ahead of their time. Or they chose to depict the world with their vision and voice untrammeled by others views.

As noted by others, many of the world's greatest creative talents worked and died in obscurity, their genius recognized only after it was too late. Kafka died a nobody, and gave his manuscripts to one of his few friends with instructions to burn them, since Kafka thought that he had written them for naught. The friend self-published them instead. Nietzsche only sold a handful of copies of his works before he died, mainly to a limited circle of Berlin intelligentsia. After he died his sister thought his writings were so odd that she "corrected" them, and they became founding works of German Nationalism/Fascism. Not until the 1950s were the actual writings found and published. It was then discovered that Nietzsche was actually OPPOSED to fascism and Jew hatred. One painter, Van Gogh I believe, sold exactly ONE painting during his life. I personally would recommend quitting competitions and clubs and simply make your art your way.

I enjoyed the few pictures you published before, so I'm not sure why you'd be ignored... but then, I don't really understand the society either.

Anyway, you should post more photographs here. Especially of winter and monochrome shots. The contrast and shadows look really good on those.

New Threads

Top Bottom