• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who's your ISP ?

Its funnyc ause you fail. Aol is one of the best isp's. I have used it for years and it has unlimited download bandwidth and always geta good connection. I pay £10 a month and have the highest package which would usualy cost like £30 to new customers. and They gave me a free wireless router liek 2 years ago.
I havent ever had a problem with them at all. And if a problem does occur they give us 2 months free internet usualy. Its much better than sky broadband and much better than some other companys.
Really? I don't see AOL as the best ISP, it all the time miserably fails with me, well actually weirdly enough, lately I've been getting up to 12Megs, no really, I wasn't expecting something like that with AOL. :p

I must be one of the lucky ones. :lol:

Its funnyc ause you fail. Aol is one of the best isp's. I have used it for years and it has unlimited download bandwidth and always geta good connection. I pay £10 a month and have the highest package which would usualy cost like £30 to new customers. and They gave me a free wireless router liek 2 years ago.
I havent ever had a problem with them at all. And if a problem does occur they give us 2 months free internet usualy. Its much better than sky broadband and much better than some other companys.

i know several people on aol, their connection drops out all the time, crap pings to uk game servers (they get 60-170ms i get 9-50ms) never getting constant speeds always fluctuating, ooo a free router that cost them like £2, aol is far from the best isp in the uk, it just has lots of customers probably due to all those stupid aol cds they practically threw at people a few years back, i have the virgin media 20mb pack at the moment, unlimited downloads and all, but because i have such high bandwidth i can download several things in the time it takes for you to download one thing, oh and a major flaw with aol, it REALLY matters how far you are away from the exchange, and the hardware at the exchange

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top10.php

in my opinion FTTC or FTTH internet is the way foward

Well I dont have those problems. Maybe all the aol people you know do but i dont. I get a great connection all the time and never drops out and have it on like 24/7. I guess just alot of unfortunate people then. Comparing it to virgin is hard though as virgin IS the best internet supplier out there. Do virgin give you email addresses? liek @virgin.com?

I just wont switch from aol as i use my email for everything and always have for years so dont want to change from having it.

I dont know abotu others but I never disconnect or get lag when playing online on my xbox and always have the top or second top signal rating on the little signal bar on games.

I must be lucky then but yeah since you have virgin no wonder you go bashing all other internet suppliers.

I havent ever had a problem with them :S guess i must be lucky then :D

Well I dont have those problems. Maybe all the aol people you know do but i dont. I get a great connection all the time and never drops out and have it on like 24/7. I guess just alot of unfortunate people then. Comparing it to virgin is hard though as virgin IS the best internet supplier out there. Do virgin give you email addresses? liek @virgin.com?

I just wont switch from aol as i use my email for everything and always have for years so dont want to change from having it.

I dont know abotu others but I never disconnect or get lag when playing online on my xbox and always have the top or second top signal rating on the little signal bar on games.

I must be lucky then but yeah since you have virgin no wonder you go bashing all other internet suppliers.

Count me in too. I've been getting up to 12megs since last week. :D
Up until today, now I'm not even getting a SINGLE meg, how disappointing. :( and I don't use p2p programs anymore and I STILL don't understand why?

I guess it's time for me to change ISP's soon?

(Get the PAC code and then use that for the other provider of your choice, it's cheaper than starting from scratch)

I can see this as a new meme xD.
But idk. I've never used AOL. I have friends on it who hate it though.
I've always used Tiscali from a ****** dial-up package to broadband and not had any problems up to like two months again. Then Tiscali get taken over by TalkTalk and it's the **** :(. It disconnects all the time and sometimes my connection is so crap some services(esp. Spotify) won't even act as if I've got a connection and refuse to leave offline mode.
I'm considering buying mobile broadband for at home 'cause this is just so ******.
EMZ=]

i do think thety have given us email addresses but i wouldnt use it anyway, i use googlemail for anything important and hotmail for anything else but im fairly sure you get to keep your email ifyou switch, my parents have a freeserve email from the first time we got off dialup, lol isp bashing

I can see this as a new meme xD.
But idk. I've never used AOL. I have friends on it who hate it though.
I've always used Tiscali from a ****** dial-up package to broadband and not had any problems up to like two months again. Then Tiscali get taken over by TalkTalk and it's the **** :(. It disconnects all the time and sometimes my connection is so crap some services(esp. Spotify) won't even act as if I've got a connection and refuse to leave offline mode.
I'm considering buying mobile broadband for at home 'cause this is just so ******.
EMZ=]
That's the same problem that has been going on with me lately. Right now, I'm desperate to change ISP's.
Oh and I'm on AOL as I said before.

Yeah. I might just ask my Dad if we can because it's terrible. IDK how much we're paying though. If anything we could actually be paying £30 for such a ****** package.
EMZ=]

Then Tiscali get taken over by TalkTalk and it's the **** :(
EMZ=]
TalkTalk also own the UK division of AOL, so maybe that's why Tiscali is crap.

I will say that AOL has improved so much from the dial-up days. Back then it was atrocious. It's good for general internet browsing but if you're a heavy downloader/uploader or a gamer, then it's not a suitable ISP. Whenever we move house I'm thinking of switching to 02 broadband. I've heard some positive reports from gamers who use it. I've also heard good reports about Sky Broadband but they don't like people illegally downloading.

[quote name ="xROBERTx"]Comparing it to virgin is hard though as virgin IS the best internet supplier out there.[/quote]

I wouldn't say that Virgin are the best ISP. I hear a lot of complaints from Virgin customers claiming they are being traffic shaped and capped. Apparently Virgin traffic shape like there's no tomorrow.

I will say that AOL has improved so much from the dial-up days. Back then it was atrocious. It's good for general internet browsing but if you're a heavy downloader/uploader or a gamer, then it's not a suitable ISP. Whenever we move house I'm thinking of switching to 02 broadband. I've heard some positive reports from gamers who use it. I've also heard good reports about Sky Broadband but they don't like people illegally downloading.

I wouldn't say that Virgin are the best ISP. I hear a lot of complaints from Virgin customers claiming they are being traffic shaped and capped. Apparently Virgin traffic shape like there's no tomorrow.
I kinda disagree with AOL improving, I actually had very fast connection from the start with them, but over the years, the connection seems to be going slower and slower, sometimes I kind of wonder if it has something to do with my router?

I end up having to do a few tweaks to get the connection running smoothly.

My brother can't BARELY play a good match without having lag spikes, hopefully its the router issue, not the ISP and my pings are awfully high at times.

You think it could just be the router? or the ISP?

Oh and I have alot of computers at my house and I know that can cause quite a few problems too.

I have had similar problems. Sometimes my router's settings would change all by itself! I end up having to re-boot or reset the connection settings using a backup. If my router is switched off at the mains accidentally then it goes haywire. When your router is working normally, I recommend doing a backup of the router's connection settings. When it starts to not work, try a reboot and if that doesn't work simply restore the settings from the backup. You could also try a firmware upgrade but make sure to back up the settings first.

It could be the router causing problems or it could also be AOL.

i know several people on aol, their connection drops out all the time, crap pings to uk game servers (they get 60-170ms i get 9-50ms) never getting constant speeds always fluctuating, ooo a free router that cost them like £2, aol is far from the best isp in the uk, it just has lots of customers probably due to all those stupid aol cds they practically threw at people a few years back, i have the virgin media 20mb pack at the moment, unlimited downloads and all, but because i have such high bandwidth i can download several things in the time it takes for you to download one thing, oh and a major flaw with aol, it REALLY matters how far you are away from the exchange, and the hardware at the exchange

http://www.ispreview...eview/top10.php

in my opinion FTTC or FTTH internet is the way foward

How did you manage to hit 4.5MB/sec on a 20mb connection ?

VM dont limit traffic at all as long as you dont download over 3GB from something like 12am to 9pm. So it's no problem. And you should be capped if you're downloading more than 3GB during peak times.

@michael h the download rates are weirdly good what i get, i can hit 4mb/s downloading from steam servers on a good day although the torrent was a one off and it literally had like 30000 seeds

VM dont limit traffic at all as long as you dont download over 3GB from something like 12am to 9pm. So it's no problem. And you should be capped if you're downloading more than 3GB during peak times.
Michael, what package are you using on Virgin? and how much megs does your ISP give you?
And would this also count for unlimited broadband packages?

I've got a dynamic IP and I'm debating over going static.
So far web servers aren't a viable option for me 'cause it's dynamic.
Recommendations?
EMZ=]

emor there is a workaroun with using dynamic ips on a server, its a bit of a faff bbut could be worth it as static ips are usually about £5 a month extra

@superboyian vm only trottle if you download a ****load in peak times, it must be over 3gb because ive downloaded around 9-11gb in peak time and didnt get throttled(probably just luck), but if you get the 50mb package they dont care and you get a priority connection over anyone using 20mb

@calvert i think vm only shape/cap the people using their dialup and the 10mb service

ive only been throttled twice and it was only fir the rest of the day

Michael, what package are you using on Virgin? and how much megs does your ISP give you?
And would this also count for unlimited broadband packages?

All of the packages have unlimited downloads. But the FUP (Fair Usage Policy) states that if you exceed 3GB during PEAK TIMES...you are throttled. I'm on the 20Meg package and downloaded 4GB during PEAK TIMES and got capped for I think 3 hours at 5Mbps.

New Threads

Top Bottom