• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who's your ISP ?

emor there is a workaroun with using dynamic ips on a server, its a bit of a faff bbut could be worth it as static ips are usually about £5 a month extra

Yes. For example, DynDNS. I use it for my router. So you get a hostname :)

UPDATE: Seems Virgin media are now allowing up to 7GB downloaded for the 20meg package before being throttled.

More HERE (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html)

Hmm... PM me link :D? Or MSN :p?
I honestly hate networking and servers and **** though. If it's too complex then I just won't bother tbh.
EMZ=]

Yes. For example, DynDNS. I use it for my router. So you get a hostname :)
Used to use that, but then it got to the point where I then started to have slower internet connection and it was rather disappointing. :thumbsdown:
But I actually recommend that idea that Michael has come out with, but not all the routers will work well with it, certainly not mine. :( Just last night, I had to downgrade the firmware on the router in order for it to run stable again.

I'm getting my ISP migrated completely on Friday so for a couple of days this week, I might have to use my phone as a modem to connect to the internet.

I don't know how good Sky Broadband is but my neighbour had it before and they thought it was a very good service and ultra fast speed so I don't know if the results would be the same in my area, they claim to reach up to 20megs, they even estimated that my line could reach that speed since I live pretty near the telephone exchange.

Mine is hardly even worth mentioning, but I will humor you by saying Sprint 3G. :p Recently, the idiots lost our DNS records so now its a hassle to get on irc. Luckily, I use ssh for irc, so the only thing affected there is my ability to use my own native clients or webchat for testing purposes. Still, that was very stupid of Sprint, how do you lose DNS records? They said they have no idea. :angry:

I live in an area where is only one other hi-speed choice(no DSL here), but i don't have the money for a $299 installation for this local WISP that recently started up. I want to try them in the future though.

P.S: Why aren't the emoticons labeled here? I don't know what several of these mean...

Mine is hardly even worth mentioning, but I will humor you by saying Sprint 3G. :p Recently, the idiots lost our DNS records so now its a hassle to get on irc. Luckily, I use ssh for irc, so the only thing affected there is my ability to use my own native clients or webchat for testing purposes. Still, that was very stupid of Sprint, how do you lose DNS records? They said they have no idea. :angry:

P.S: Why aren't the emoticons labeled here? I don't know what several of these mean...
Sprint 3G... (it shouldn't be that slow if it is running on HSDPA which most 3g phones are now compatible on).
I don't really join irc much, but doesn't your irc program handle the records or is it the ISP?

I really don't know actually why the smilies doesn't label, it does when you are using the smilies on shoutbox, I'd just click on the smilies and they just work. :)

Sprint 3G... (it shouldn't be that slow if it is running on HSDPA which most 3g phones are now compatible on).
I don't really join irc much, but doesn't your irc program handle the records or is it the ISP?

I really don't know actually why the smilies doesn't label, it does when you are using the smilies on shoutbox, I'd just click on the smilies and they just work. :)

It's really not all that slow when its working, no... But my download speed is only like 100K tops and my download limit is atrocious. The irc client has nothing to do with handling DNS resolve, that is up to your ISP. When you try to connect to a host, the IP has to be resolved or else you won't be able to connect. Sometimes it is possible to switch to public domain name servers, or use OpenDNS, but in my case, it isn't. Sprint automatically routes all port 53 traffic(the one that handles DNS requests) to their servers. Getting around it is difficult and I have no means of doing it. Totally sucks. :(

So I found an awesome green flier on my front porch the other day from Clear internet/phone company. :D Apparently we just got another new WISP provider and this one is cheaper and potentially faster than the last one. Its 4G service(just look that up) and I not only get much better service for less than I pay now, but they are providing home and mobile solutions for that price. All I can say is: its about freaking time. So, yeah, if I find a job, I think this will be where my first paycheck goes. Tell Sprint to kiss my ass, them and their stupid tech guys who are dumb enough to erase DNS records and cause this:

So I found an awesome green flier on my front porch the other day from Clear internet/phone company. :D Apparently we just got another new WISP provider and this one is cheaper and potentially faster than the last one. Its 4G service(just look that up) and I not only get much better service for less than I pay now, but they are providing home and mobile solutions for that price. All I can say is: its about freaking time. So, yeah, if I find a job, I think this will be where my first paycheck goes. Tell Sprint to kiss my ass, them and their stupid tech guys who are dumb enough to erase DNS records and cause this:

Woooooooo for 4G. :D Hopefully later on today (2:07 am), we should be transferred to sky (at last, no more AOHell) but might not be able to be online for possibly a day. (no worries, that's where my mobile phone comes in) :p

Hopefully it should be much faster at handling IRC, sometimes with AOL, you get IRC problems, so hopefully I don't have the exact same problem.

cant wait till we start getting 4g in the uk, probably take like 5 years though, easy to do it in america, generally cities are pretty flat, here they are not

cant wait till we start getting 4g in the uk, probably take like 5 years though, easy to do it in america, generally cities are pretty flat, here they are not
I can't wait for it myself, but I rather not get it yet, I rather wait till the price drops before I get the product, sometimes, early products are not as stable, like vista for example.

(Woooooo, I'm now migrated to sky broadband, no problems what so ever. :D)

Funny, I have a WISP near me called Skynet, lol.

And as far as the prices go, I would consider $40/month cheap for the speed you get. I'm paying almost $60 now and I don't get half of what 4G offers. Worst thing about the cost of 4G is the inital crap, for the modems, activation, etc... but after that, its not a bad deal. Latency will certainly be better than any DSL. My 3G latency is probably better than most DSL on a good day. That's the advantage of wireless broadband(but not satellite.. not the same thing) type of connections over wired connections. :D There is less data lose and much quicker response times.

They legally have to give u the advertised speeds just phone them up and complain and say you demand not ask for DEMAND that you get the advertised speeds.
I might aswell wait for another 5 days and see what happens, apparently sky is doing this DLM thing and we not so long ago switched and unfortunately, we are one of those people who are going through it so hopefully at the end of their DLM test, there should be something out of it.

My ISP isn't given me the advertisement speed, apparently this what I have to deal with for now. :(

you see, unfortunately you are wrong, their advertised speeds, all isp advertised speeds are on an up to xxmb/s, key words being up to

the only form of internet connection that you get what you pay for is a leased line connection, which is basically a dedicated line to the exchange and you pay for what bandwidth you want, but they cost thousands of pounds a year

As Mike said, "up to" are the key words. You could get anything in between. 

Having said that though, you haven't been with them for long so give it a week or so and the speed might increase.

You also have to be careful about megabits/megabytes. There are 8 bits to a byte, so it can be confusing, if for example, you are testing megabytes, but you ISP measured in megabits(in a purposeful attempt to make it seem faster than it really is) so you only think you're getting ripped off, when in reality, you are getting what you pay for. That doesn't seem to be the case here, but I have seen it before.

New Threads

Top Bottom