• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who turns off their computer?

Where it's actually made though is an important factor. Japanese electronics are good though. [emoji1]

Last I heard Toshiba was making them in the Philippines back in 2008 and later in China. First in Shanghai and now in Hangzhou.

But it's all really about corporate quality control wherever products are made these days.

Last I heard Toshiba was making them in the Philippines back in 2008 and later in China. First in Shanghai and now in Hangzhou.

But it's all really about corporate quality control wherever products are made these days.
when china has quality control from companies run oversees there fine its only when they do it on their own they screw up. quality control is important as long as its not too tough or else you get riots from the workers.

So I've been reading through this thread, and I gotta confess...I'm kinda lost! Nitro You mention that you never turn off your computers, but I never really grasped the reason why (if it was mentioned specifically). Does putting it to sleep count? I have a laptop which, as Judge rightly mentioned, has its own host of problems with cooling systems and dust buildup and the like.

So I've been reading through this thread, and I gotta confess...I'm kinda lost! Nitro You mention that you never turn off your computers, but I never really grasped the reason why (if it was mentioned specifically). Does putting it to sleep count? I have a laptop which, as Judge rightly mentioned, has its own host of problems with cooling systems and dust buildup and the like.
I do not start electronic repeatedly as the thermal shock of a cold start is not good for electronics. I do have to shut down about once a month for a Microsoft operating system update and I always blow the dust out of the cooling system when it is shut down,but it stays warm during that time.
I do not like the hibernation state on a computer and require an instant on machine.
My entire communication world revolves around internet access. I have a support system that involves my smartphone and my gmail account as a way of keeping notes on a cloud storage system I can view on nearly any device that gets me online. I have never seen a Google server crash and I can search my email for anything I have saved. I use gmail to it's fullest extent,creating folders and maintaining a filing system.
At the close of my day,I start a movie on my computer and usually only see about five minutes of the show.I never turn lights off in my home because when I sleep,nothing bothers me. I have watched many movies five minutes at a time over several weeks time.That requires my computer to be on during my sleep as it is my only sleeping aid I have.
I do not sleep like most do. I was tested for narcolepsy by two independent sleep labs because I had a few rounds of falling asleep standing up.One lab claimed it was sleep apnia and only wanted to sell me cpap machines.The other blamed it in post traumatic stress syndrome and had no answer for it. I can consistently enter REM sleep in under one minute. I attribute it to my excessive level of awareness during conscious states as my brain shuts down outside influences and continues to work without distractions.

I have three stereo system that run 24/7 with two that are wired to older android phones I use as mp3 players. I bluetooth some of my music. During the summer,I broadcast FM signals across my property from my computer music files for better quality music
When I post to the music thread,it is usually from my collection of mp3s that are on all the time as background noise.

when china has quality control from companies run oversees there fine its only when they do it on their own they screw up. quality control is important as long as its not too tough or else you get riots from the workers.
China makes junk when we force them to. They are very capable people tied to the restraints of outside money. Every country that comes of age in their industrial revolution gets exploited.

I have three stereo system that run 24/7 with two that are wired to older android phones I use as mp3 players. I bluetooth some of my music. During the summer,I broadcast FM signals across my property from my computer music files for better quality music
When I post to the music thread,it is usually from my collection of mp3s that are on all the time as background noise.
Interesting, as I have a tube-powered amplifier that it is definitely NOT recommended to leave running at all hours, both for the sake of power consumption (the thing draws around 450 watts!) and for the life of the tubes; I might blow the occasional fuse, but fuses are cheap, as long as I keep the power tubes properly biased. But I suppose that's a unique situation...I definitely have no problem running my class-D solid state powered desktop powered speakers constantly; in fact, the manufacturers say that it is preferable to do so.

Interesting, as I have a tube-powered amplifier that it is definitely NOT recommended to leave running at all hours, both for the sake of power consumption (the thing draws around 450 watts!) and for the life of the tubes; I might blow the occasional fuse, but fuses are cheap, as long as I keep the power tubes properly biased. But I suppose that's a unique situation...I definitely have no problem running my class-D solid state powered desktop powered speakers constantly; in fact, the manufacturers say that it is preferable to do so.
Everything I run is solid state. You have a different situation running vacuum tubes with parts that erode themselves inside the tubes when they function normally. You get a softer,warmer sound out of a tube because the filaments have slower response rates. The digital sound of solid state does not smooth a sound signal,it delivers an exact copy of it,which is tighter but harsh at the same time.

I turn off my computer most nights, mainly because I dual-boot -- Linux for work, Windows for gaming. So I need to restart to switch partitions anyway. On weekends, I'm less likely to turn my computer off, since I generally stay on the Windows partition.

Never knew this but I do know some printers haves a counter how many times you can print until the printer will stop working.

My computers never turns off except my laptop as I bring it with me every wear. I never own a laptop that stop working after X amount turn offs.

There people all the time hack stuff so there can be very high odds this counter can be reset.

Business/Enterprise class printers have "printer kits" that need to be replaced every couple ten or hundred thousand pages printed. To my knowledge, residential ones don't (I've never had a printer stop working on me for reasons that had to do with the printer itself, it's always either been because the OEM stopped making the cartridges or they quit making drivers for it and the OS didn't support the latest driver...or the connection technology itself died...remember parallel ports?).

I've never seen a computer stop working after some arbitrary number of power cycles. They've all been due to faulty design (like the Inspiron where they had the brilliant idea to put the power connection right next to the graphics card), accident (same Inspiron ended up getting dropped or stepped on and the screen got all busted up; by that time, it was too old to matter), in-warranty failure (one, possibly two, hard drives), or wear and tear (usually components, like spindle drives or case fans). I've actually donated more working computers to FreeGeek than I've scrapped or donated to them for recycling.

Be happy you don't have 3 computers and other electronics in a bedroom. I don't need to turn on the heat in my bedroom until it -4C outside.

Turn on the heat? LOL! We have two computers in our home office/study, and we have to open the window when they're both running with a game. We haven't found a low temperature for that yet, and it's gotten down to the ballpark of -20C before windchill this past year.

I have never heard of a counter in a computer,but that doesn't mean they can't exist. I think that many of the failures are due to break downs in electrolytic capacitors. The have a finite life and often when I had problems with a CNC machine,a temporary fix was implemented with a common hair dryer to heat the caps to bring a machine back online. I was taught that method by a technician when he did it in front of me. After the bad capacitors were identified,a parts change was in order.

In my experience, from when I worked in retail tech support, the most common hardware failures were (in no particular order):
  • Popped capacitors (probably the break downs you referenced)
  • Filthy environment causing it to overheat/burn up (seriously, there were some nasty machines that came through)
  • Damage (usually a laptop that was dropped)
  • Dead power supply or hard drive
  • Power fluctuations burned up a major component (power supply or motherboard)

no,they plan on them failing

Yeh, I know a lot of companies do that dirty little trick. I think nvidia's way of going about it though has kind of done them a disservice. I would never buy anything with nvidia. Its too much hassle.

o_O The only reason I replaced my first-gen GTX 260 was because it was becoming the "minimum requirement" for the games I play and was killing my gaming experience (seriously, WildStar is a completely different game with a 260 compared to the 780). I had a TNT (1998, pre-GeForce processor family) until sometime around 2006 and, again, only upgraded it because it wasn't powerful enough to run the software and games I was playing.

Graphics cards are high-heat components with moving parts. They don't need to design them to die, the pace at which technology advances will do that for them, and the moving parts or parts getting electricity running through them will eventually fail, not matter how good quality they are. It's the nature of them to wear out. Hell, Nvidia cards have a three year warranty, which is huge considering the circumstances under which that type of component runs.

Then, of course, there's the oligopoly between Nvidia and ATI that only got dealt with a few years ago (and even still, your only other option besides those two is...Intel). They don't need to build them to fail (they can figure out a common lifespan for general usability, perhaps, and plan around that). They know that you'll eventually have to upgrade, and when you do, you don't really have any other option.

I've never seen a computer stop working after some arbitrary number of power cycles.

Me neither. I build all my own, and tend to use the same manufacturer when it comes power supplies. I've had only one of them that eventually "died". Turned it on one day and nothing was there. Probably got maybe five years of prolonged use.

Personally I see thermal issues as having the most likely potential of real damage and shortening the life of a number of components inside a computer.

I usually turns off my computers at night, but that's mostly because of noise, since here's no door between my bedroom and livingroom. If my computers were more quit, i would probably only turn them off if going away for days or because of lightning.

And also have a bit of the same problem as Zurb had with his xp, sometimes my pc (win8.1) goes in hibernation mode and won't come out without hard shutdown. Think it's a problem with one of my drivers. After a reinstall of windows, it's rarely happens. Earlier it happened like every 1-2 days.

In my Windows 98 times, i usually shut it down every day, and rebooted it many times during the days. Really miss those Blue Screen of Death days :rolleyes:

I mostly leave my laptop on, but I always turn off my desktop. Apart from having moving parts, it also makes noise, has indicator lights everywhere, and is in my bedroom, so whether it's good or bad for the machine it's still required. I do prefer to keep things off when I am not using them on principle (I prefer not to burn electricity for the sake of burning electricity) and everything electronic I've ever had tends to heat up while the electrons flow. Don't really want to melt the interior components.

This is my third PC, it runs an AMD processor and it runs a little hot, I was reluctant to use an AMD processor at first but I'm happy with it. It tends towards becoming dusty and I often clean the dust off the heat sink and fan with compressed air. Other than that it's fast. Turn it off at night for the noise and lights, for the quiet.

This is my third PC, it runs an AMD processor and it runs a little hot, I was reluctant to use an AMD processor at first but I'm happy with it. It tends towards becoming dusty and I often clean the dust off the heat sink and fan with compressed air. Other than that it's fast. Turn it off at night for the noise and lights, for the quiet.

My biggest dust issue is with my video card (GeForce GTX Ti 650) ....with an elaborate fan and heatsink, in addition to exposed ventilation ports which suck in air- and dust. But I do the same...just periodically clean it on the inside. I physically remove the video card from its PCI-E bus to carefully clean it.

Switching to case and cpu fans with noise ratings below say 21dBA can often make a computer considerably quieter- even with a conventional computer case.

Last edited:
I mostly use my Samsung laptop for everyday things such as checking e-mails and sometimes making digital art, but sometimes use my desktop to play certain PC games. I sometimes leave my computer on whilst I'm not using it, mostly for laptops. Though instead of leaving it running, I'd often close the lid to save power and also to ensure that it doesn't heat up too much. I often leave it on when I have a chat window up. Or if I have Wordpad, PAINT.net or other creative programmes up so I can take breaks, and so I can continue them throughout the day. If I'm certain that I'm not going to use a computer for hours or if I'm going out somewhere, I usually prefer to turn it off.

Most people I know turn their laptop/ computer off when they've finished with it and criticise me for not doing the same.

I only turn off the laptop I have now because its battery is nearly knackered and won't stay on for longer than 5 mins without being plugged in

this. happend too me :eek:

i dont turn my laptop off cos im lazy [just shut the lid LOL]
when i want too sleep it takes too long :astonished::smile:

Most laptop's these days are designed to go into sleep mode when you close the lid. I've been doing it for years and see no point in shutting down my MBP.

As for my desktop system, when I use it regularly, I use sleep mode as it saves time and whatever you had running before is still running.

However, if I'm not going to use it within the next few months, I turn it off.

Basically, my MacBook Pro hasn't been turned "off" for over a year. Have restarted it a few times to reset the SMC and PRAM.

New Threads

Top Bottom