• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who is your most despised fictional character…..

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
…..and why is it Delores Umbridge?

OK, but seriously, which fictional character gets on your nerves the most?

Cruella De Vil. She supports puppy mills and kills puppies. I was always traumatized by those movies when I was a kid.

Empress Theresa from the novel of the same name by Norman Boutin.

Murdstone from David Copperfield. The guy is basically named poop rock and this is a pretty accurate character analysis.

Empress Theresa from the novel of the same name by Norman Boutin.

Murdstone from David Copperfield. The guy is basically named poop rock and this is a pretty accurate character analysis.
Great, now I can refer to Nickelback as Murdstone music.

I mean yea, you're not wrong about Delores Umbridge though :p.

The only fictional character I dislike is one who is poorly written, good or bad. There is nothing quite like a deliciously evil villain.

A little secret... don't ever hate anyone for anything. It's okay to be momentarily angry but never to hate. Understanding that will greatly improve one's life. Hating someone can only make it worse.

The only fictional character I dislike is one who is poorly written, good or bad. There is nothing quite like a deliciously evil villain.

A little secret... don't ever hate anyone for anything. It's okay to be momentarily angry but never to hate. Understanding that will greatly improve one's life. Hating someone can only make it worse.
Very true. I guess the reason why Delores Umbridge gets under my skin so much is because she acts exactly like my middle school home room teacher. Those were dark days for me.

Very true. I guess the reason why Delores Umbridge gets under my skin so much is because she acts exactly like my middle school home room teacher. Those were dark days for me.

She is my most despised character too. She is the stuff of my nightmares. While my abusers never behaved exactly like her, she brings up all the helpless and hopeless feelings of a pretty crappy childhood. And that weird hiccup giggle the actress used in the movie is so like someone I know I have to grit my teeth when I hear it in real life. Ughhhghhghhhh!!!!!!

@Metalhead , By the way, did you notice notice your own pun "Delores Umbridge gets under my skin.."

Yeah, same here.

Hero or villain, a good character is likable and memorable.

Even if a particular villain is horribly evil, a well made one is still likable. Frieza for instance, you dont get much nastier than that guy, but everyone likes him for good reason. And there’s equally good reasons why slasher villains like Freddy or Jason never quite stay dead… they’re all sorts of evil, but they’re fun, even if they can get a bit silly at times.

Generally I dont really have any characters that I can’t stand in fiction, but that’s because if something ISNT well made or just has an aspect that seems bloody stupid to me, chances are I’m not going to bother finishing it anyway and will forget all of its characters soon enough. I’m sure I’ve encountered irritating characters before, but I simply dont remember any of them.

OK, but seriously, which fictional character gets on your nerves the most?

There are 2: Ignaz J. Reilly ( from the book A Confederacy of Dunces ). I could not finish that book because that character made me feel so disgusted and nervous and irritated.......And
"The Dude" from "The Big Lebowski" (I hate him from the deepest pit of my stomach)

Now that I post them here together I see a pattern. Both good for nothing men. But still they are being kept alive by their surroundings although they lift not one finger. Perhaps, after I never had that luxury, even a fictional (idiotic) character having this luck/privilege/support is not bearable for me...

God, even thinking about them makes me want to smack bottles against the wall....

Its more very bitter people like Sophia Petrillo in the golden girls (1985)(NBC) syndicated to channel 4 (UK)

Last edited:
Delores Umbridge gets my vote.

However even though it’s already been said, above by @Au Naturel
I take notice when my brain jumps on the, “I hate so and so or that …..”

I grew up with a family who liked to verbalize what and who they hated. By the time I was a teen, I was telling my mom to please stop using that word so often. This was not appreciated haha.

The word can absolutely become a destructive addiction, trapping one in a ridiculous and wasteful place. Like one is a tiny hate-fusion locked inside those giant magnets.

Last edited:
Let’s see, I hate Hank Hill, a certain ugly yellow face cartoon character who is basically everywhere and seeing its face or hearing the name or voice will put me into so much of a rage that I want to kick a cat into the air like a football, a certain video game character that I refuse to unlock in Smash Bros and refuse to use the stage associated with that character and will quit online matches if I see someone using that ugly thing, a certain insurance mascot that makes me want to literally burn down any billboard sign I see with that thing on it, and a certain ugly animated sitcom family that should never been allowed to be seen on tv and it’s not The Simpson’s or the Griffins. Oh and the entire cast of Gravity Falls and Avatar the Last Airbender and the spin-off and everything about the Lord of the Rings franchise especially Gandalf and most versions of Peter Pan with Hook being the only time he was tolerable.

Let’s see, I hate Hank Hill, a certain ugly yellow face cartoon character who is basically everywhere and seeing its face or hearing the name or voice will put me into so much of a rage that I want to kick a cat into the air like a football, a certain video game character that I refuse to unlock in Smash Bros and refuse to use the stage associated with that character and will quit online matches if I see someone using that ugly thing, a certain insurance mascot that makes me want to literally burn down any billboard sign I see with that thing on it, and a certain ugly animated sitcom family that should never been allowed to be seen on tv and it’s not The Simpson’s or the Griffins. Oh and the entire cast of Gravity Falls and Avatar the Last Airbender and the spin-off and everything about the Lord of the Rings franchise especially Gandalf and most versions of Peter Pan with Hook being the only time he was tolerable.

I must applaud this one, even I would have a hard time matching this.

I, like @Au Naturel , only have the energy to dislike the living. The people I dislike and avoid are the manipulative users and those suffering Dunning-Kreuger who think they have a pipeline to the truth.

Literature, film and television. Art forms, all developing fictional characters.

To me the best art reflects those characters most memorable. That whether good or bad in terms of character, it's about whether or not they evoke your emotions. If they do, this is great art, IMO.

Imagine David Copperfield without Edward Murdstone. Or Harry Potter without Delores Umbridge. Or "Dallas" without J.R. Ewing. And where would "The Walking Dead" be without Marion Negan?

I'm constantly annoyed by one fictional character on television. Grey's Anatomy "Miranda Bailey". But as a crafted character, I have to credit actor Chandra Wilson and series creator Shonda Rhimes. Conversely none of the characters of "Chicago Med" interest me in the least. Yet an hour later in "Chicago Fire" I find all of the characters endearing in one way or another. Go figure.

In essence, if such characters tug at your own emotions, the creators are doing something right. :cool:

Last edited:
giphy.gif

New Threads

Top Bottom