• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who has seen Bob Ross?

Pariah Dog

Who has seen his show is more what I mean? For those unfamiliar Bob Ross (RIP) was a very talented artist with a 30 minute tv show where he would complete a painting in real time within the length of the show. He was known for his very calm mesmerizing and friendly way of speaking, and a pretty unbelievable afro for a white guy. :tongueout:

His show ran from 1983-1994 and I vaguely remember seeing it on tv as a young kid sometimes but probably didn't have the patience to sit through it. The show now streams on Netflix. He is captivating to watch even for people with not a whole lot of interest in art, like myself. I think he would be a calming, comforting figure to aspies.

Anyone care to see a sample or watch a whole episode here is one that is a great example. Younger members here from after his time might be impressed. I like the comments on youtube, its refreshing to see a comment section pretty much entirely positive. Points like "He was the gentlest human who ever lived." :relieved:

I liked this from his wikipedia page about Bob Ross' military career, and insight as to why he's so calm.

Military career
Ross enlisted in the United States Air Force in 1961 at 18 years old and served as a medical records technician.[5]:15 He eventually rose to the rank of master sergeant and served as the first sergeant of the U.S. Air Force Clinic at Eielson Air Force Base in Alaska,[6][7] where he first saw the snow and mountains that later became recurring themes in his artwork. He developed his quick-painting technique to create art for sale during brief daily work breaks.[7] Having held military positions that required him to be, in his own words, "tough" and "mean", "the guy who makes you scrub the latrine, the guy who makes you make your bed, the guy who screams at you for being late to work", Ross decided that if he ever left the military, he would never scream again

I like Bob Ross. My sister and one of our friends keep meaning to have a 'Bob Ross night', where we watch one of his tutorials and try to follow it. None of us are particularly good at art, so the outcomes could be interesting.

we had tony hart for children he was very calming .
there are a couple of sketching and painting competitions, 21st tv is sensationalist now sadly, i liked the 70s

I'm a big fan of Bob Ross and his art. He seemed to be a genuinely nice guy and what a talent he had - so sorry that he died relatively young but his pictures and tv shows live on so that's good.

Watched him for many years, think what I liked the most about him was his positive outlook. He seemed to like what he did, any enjoy it. After watching him for years, I was able to move from charcoal, pencil and conte to actual paint. Liked his big brushes and how he made it seem so easy, also thought his hair was pretty cool.

I have watched bits and pieces of his show. Gave me more confidence to do landscapes and backgrounds in my own pieces. I also own a Bob Ross T shirt that says "There is no such thing as mistakes, only happy accidents".

I had a Bob Ross day at my local pub one day. It was glorious. Ten canvases, ten regular guests, two artists in wigs walking around giving tips, and the late great Bob Ross' instruction video playing on a big screen.

My dad was/is a Bob Ross fan, so I was raised on Bob Ross and Tony Hart. I used to love it when he would randomly bring on squirrels, racoons, mice or whatever animals he had adopted and then go back to painting!

I used to occasionally watch a few minutes of re-runs on TV of Bob Ross' show.

Yesterday at the pharmacy gift-department I saw a 'chia pet' of Bob Ross.
That was weird.

Bit late to the discussion, but I liked Bob Ross as soon as I discovered him through a pal.

Has anyone picked up the board game "Bob Ross: Art of Chill Game" they released in 2017? I've not yet seen it anywhere in the UK. It's in the shop called Target in the USA.

Looks like this:
1507215032-landscape-1506958407-bob-ross-720.jpg

He sits as an icon on my book shelf. RIP B. Ross

Attachments

• IMG_4304.JPG
    IMG_4304.JPG
    435.6 KB · Views: 0
I never saw it when it originally aired, but I've been watching reruns on PBS for over 10 years. Love his speaking and how he can make nothing look like everything. Just a strategically placed series of smudges looks like a detailed landscape. My favorite part is where he marbelizes the paint and cuts across it, and off comes a rainbow of colors at once. That's what I wanted to do with Superman ice cream as a kid but it never worked.

He was a US Air Force Master Sergeant like me! We were briefly in at the same time 1980-81. And I am a hobby painter, though sculpting is my real focus.

He was a US Air Force Master Sergeant like me! We were briefly in at the same time 1980-81. And I am a hobby painter, though sculpting is my real focus.

Did you meet him while in the USAF? That's super cool man! I'm a painter :)

I love Bob Ross and was obsessed with watching his show as a kid. To this day, I can still see his influence on the development of my work. Happy accidents are a kind of cornerstone to my approach and I remember being captivated by the way he worked; not to paint a series of single leaves upon a tree, but through suggestive forms and paint strokes and smudges he could call forth such distinct images.

New Threads

Top Bottom