• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who do you turn to in times of trouble?

I'll start with: I hate being a burden to others. I also tend to isolate myself, but I've been working on fixing this issue. Over the last year, I've lived on my own during marital separation and am 600 miles from my family so this has all been put to the test.

My "go to" list is thin these days, and "me" is my primary answer. I would say, in a pinch, my soon to be ex-wife would still be a go-to, but clearly that's less open than it used to be. It depends on the kind of support we're talking about. If its merely someone to talk to, first off I'll journal or talk to myself, but then I'll usually go to my best friend via text messaging (he lives halfway across the country and is very busy with work and a new baby, though).

If its more of a practical matter, my soon to be ex-wife is still one of my best friends, as rare as that may be, and she lives across town, so if I need help but it isn't immediately urgent, she'll be there.

I have a pair of friends (a couple, whom I met through my wife's circle of friends... because I literally never make friends on my own in-person) that live a few blocks from me and I've gotten increasingly close with. We're all shut-in's in our own way, so its nice for all of us to have SOMETHING going on socially. They're there for me in a bind and vice versa. This had to be tested both ways over the last several months. I don't think any of us wanted to test the friendship that way, but when a friend pulls through in a pinch, it definitely "levels up" your trust.

I've been playing Fallout 4, and amusingly when I said "levels up" I heard the Fallout level-up drum and horns sound in the back of my mind. "Oh! Time to pick a perk--- wait."

I haven't done any gaming for months except for a quick blast on Metro Exodus a couple of weeks ago. Fallout 4 is the game I've probably played most in my life. I'm level 157, amassed about 800 hours of in game time and I still haven't completed the main story line

Me not being certain, may I ask if she is on the spectrum? My Boyfriend is not , but deals with major anxiety , so we relate.

However even though this is the case, and there is that idea that people in relationships should take care of one another, I often feel like I need someone to talk to , who can listen an understand. I have a friendly acquaintance who has a compromised immune system and (she has 2 daughters ; 1 with Autism and 1 with Borderline/Bi P Disorder) she has been super helpful with finding who i am.

My wife isn't on the spectrum, though she does have a couple of traits in common. She knew a lot about autism before we met having been a Social Worker and also worked in care with autistic people beforehand. I think because she understood what autism is she could see past my awkwardness and oddities and see the person underneath. We've never argued, never fought, never exchanged a cross word. We have total respect for each other and would be lost without one another. I am truly blessed to have met her.

I usually turn to my mom or a very select few of my already few friends who are more understanding... I go to a female friend of mine to hangout sometimes and she gives me good hugs though I am limited to two.... Also I have a friend on Xbox who he is a social worker and we talk a good bit..

I don't have the energy today to give a proper and detailed response but I rely on my parents who are elderly and my partner who is older than I am and also has some challenges. I have an adult son for emotional support but he has challenges too. I often need physical help as I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and constant exhaustion.

New Threads

Top Bottom