1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured Who do you turn to in times of trouble?

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by SimplyWandering, Mar 6, 2019.

1. SimplyWandering

SimplyWandering Well-Known Member

When you find your self sick or in trouble who do you turn to?

As someone with ASD i struggle sometimes... It's difficult to know when to ask for help, sometimes i feel like i am putting a burden on others and other times I feel like i should be able to do certain things for myself and not be too reliant.

I am finding it harder and harder to find people to turn to... My mother is older and she used to help me a lot, my sibbling s have always thought i am more capable then i am.

I feel like we should all be able to turn to someone for help without being judged or known as the whiner/complainer.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 5
  2. Suzanne

Suzanne Well-Known Member

My older friend who is also of my faith.

We mostly whatsapp.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Bolletje

Bolletje Potato chip wizard V.I.P Member

My boyfriend, mostly. And sometimes my friends and family.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Illkurok

Illkurok King of Isolation

I've had to rely on myself for help out of bad times the majority of my life. I literally don't have friends in real life that I can trust or rely on. Maybe that's my own fault for being so introverted, or it could be because I don't like to be a burden to anyone.

If you deal with your problems on your own, you won't have to put up with someones opinion on the matter that you don't like or agree with. So, it has its upsides.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

No one.

I'm on my own, for better or worse.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  6. BraidedPony

BraidedPony Enjoying life and glad to be alive! V.I.P Member

I’m on my own too. I have this forum and another one. And I have my dog.
    If I get really sick and might die I’ll call 911.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Fino

Fino Alex V.I.P Member

A friend. He is an angel. I call him my guardian angel. He's the best! He is my favorite! :cool:

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Autistamatic

Autistamatic He's just this guy, you know? V.I.P Member

Since I've been with Mrs Autistamatic she's been my rock in difficult times, but before that I fended for myself most of the time. Self reliance can be hard at times, but it's worth getting good at it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. Stardust Parade

Stardust Parade Active Member

My mom and my shrink and my best friend.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. tlc

tlc The Mackinac Bridge and U.P. is my happy place.

Usually my mom. She's been staying with me since I got out of the hospital. She accepts whatever I do and doesn't judge me or fight with me about it. My dad is nice but often hard to deal with.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SusanLR

SusanLR Well-Known Member

My shrink.
    I have no one else to turn to.
    Sometimes I have to tell the guy I live with if the problem is obvious or need medical help.
    Can't hide it all from someone you live with.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Major Tom

Major Tom Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Nobody to turn to here, other than my dog, which actually helps quite a bit. Also to an extent the friends I've made here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Sarah S

Sarah S Well-Known Member

Bacikly i had to fend for my self with the exception that ALL my life i have had my DEAR mother right behind me but sadly since 8 years she have not been able to on the count of Alzemiers :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:. Luckily i got my VERY dear friend (older then me who i actually helped WAY back when he was close to going under him self ) that agreed to be my RL support so its him that i go to when i need someone (wich is bacikly ALL the time ) & i can honestly say that hadent it been for him i wouldn't have been able to join in here as i would have left this earth (roughly 2 years ago ) so i ow him MY LIFE and his as close to me as my own mom and dad :relaxed:,+ i do have my FEW REEL friends that always ready to listen and help when i need them (and they know im always there for them if needed :hearteyes:)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. HidinginPlainSight

HidinginPlainSight Well-Known Member

Born alone die alone here.

It's not as bad as it sounds though. When you come to rely on yourself you force yourself to be accountable. It eliminates the need to worry about someone else and if you let yourself down you can at least try to do better next time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Aspychata

Aspychata My Art Work

My gorgeous handsome friend when he allows?me too.

• Like Like x 3
  16. china autie

china autie friend to dogs and frogs and cats

TL/DR:
    After my husband became physically abusive, I left and was forced to reach out to others for my own safety.
    Added bonus: I found community and mask less now.
    And a feral cat story.
    ____

Since I left my marriage when he put his hands on me for the first and last time...

my boss, my doctor and nurses, the veterinarians and the people who work at the vets' office,

total strangers on the street [not so much now but I was desperate and hurting and now some of those strangers are close acquaintances],

a few homeless people and street musicians that befriended me when I first moved here,

the young people and homeless people and poor people and others who also attend the free Food Not Bombs community dinners here,

two friends from my old town who are not friends with my soon to be legally an ex,

domestic violence advocate and agency,

an informal support group for people in my age bracket who have also been Othered by society.
    ---
    [I am in addiction recovery too but interestingly enough, I remain on the periphery of recovery type groups although there are a few people there who have made it into my list of friendly acquaintances].
    ______

Before I left my husband, I was pretty much on my own.

I have learned to lean on others when I need to while maintaining my own sense of "I am still the one who has to do my own work" for as long as I am physically and mentally able to.

It is called interdependence-- something I used to know the definition of but had never really experienced.

___

I wish the abuse had never happened BUT I also know that the man I married never existed.
    [Who he was and who I thought he was are really different].

___
    One of my cats was a former feral kitten living with a bunch of other feral cats and kittens at my aunt's house. She feeds them. [I have advocated for a local Trap, Neuter, Release program for them but my aunt won't do it. She is in cognitive decline].

One of the kittens disappeared for a few days and came back with an eye injury and bleeding from both ends. I really thought she was going to die.

She didn't.

But her injury allowed her to accept human contact. When she was able to walk again, she continued to allow us to pet her.

Her eye wasn't better. I took her to the vet who fixed her and had to remove the eye. She is now an indoor cat and she is mine. She is very affectionate. She loves my older cat and the dog. They love her.

One feral quality she retained is that she plays harder than non-ferals.

She is a total delight.

___
    Much like this cat, in the midst of a severe crisis, I was forced to reach out to others for my own safety.

The other thing is that now I mask less. I am becoming my most authentic autistic self.

China

PS Tennessee Williams said,
    "We are all sentenced to solitary confinement inside our own skins, for life."

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. tducey

tducey Well-Known Member

Mom mostly.

• Like Like x 2
  18. SimplyWandering

I don't mean to patronize you, but i find this exceedingly sad in my eyes. I used to think like this but it made me depressed if anything... There is a balance between relying on others and doing things for yourself. NOW i try my darndest to reach out to others so i feel something besides this lonely emptiness ( though i often am just as fine by myself... At least i tell myself that.)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Paralleluniverse

Paralleluniverse Active Member

I feel like I have "people" but I don't feel like anyone understands me...I know I know they say that this is a typical thing that depressed people say but it's not.. And I wish people would get it, it's literally true, nobody understands me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. SimplyWandering

Me not being certain, may I ask if she is on the spectrum? My Boyfriend is not , but deals with major anxiety , so we relate.

However even though this is the case, and there is that idea that people in relationships should take care of one another, I often feel like I need someone to talk to , who can listen an understand. I have a friendly acquaintance who has a compromised immune system and (she has 2 daughters ; 1 with Autism and 1 with Borderline/Bi P Disorder) she has been super helpful with finding who i am.

• Agree Agree x 1