• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Where Did You Get Diagnosed?

itguy86

Hello,

I suspect that I have an Autism Spectrum Disorder and am looking for confirmation and an official diagnosis. Specifically, High Functioning Autism due to the speech delay as a child.

I am finding it difficult to locate a professional who works with autistic adults in the Midwest states. For those of you who have been diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder as an adult, where did you receive the diagnosis?

Thank you for any assistance provided.

Ryan

My diagnosis started with therapy for depression. I guess my therapist noticed some of my stims or something else about how I acted, because she asked me during my first session if I'd ever considered I might be autistic, which I had. She then asked if I wanted to be tested, and I agreed. I was tested at another location of the same mental health facility. It was the Ross Center, if you have any of those around.

Not totally sure. I was diagnosed at age 6 in 1988. It was 1990 at age 7 that I first remember meeting with a doctor about Autism.

My diagnosis started with seeing a therapist for anxiety. The guy listened to me for an hour, then said, “I think you’re ready to hear this...” and told me I’m autistic.

I think it’s important to find a counselor who has experience diagnosing or working with autism. It seems like without that experience, a doctor or counselor will not look at the whole picture and diagnose depression, anxiety, PTD, executive function issues, etc., not realizing that all these things could be part of autism.

I was seeing a psychologist for investigation into the cause of my recurring clinical depression. She suggested assessing me for ASD. That happened, and here we are.

I was diagnosed in the UK after going through a really rough patch, losing my job, anxiety and depression.

It was mental health clinic in Germany where I got my diagnosis. I had six appointments with psychologist where I told about myself.

It seems like without that experience, a doctor or counselor will not look at the whole picture and diagnose depression, anxiety, PTD, executive function issues, etc., not realizing that all these things could be part of autism.

That's exactly what happened to me. However it was with a psychiatrist at a point in time where the medical community was only beginning to acknowledge Dr. Asperger's research. OCD, social anxiety and clinical depression...but never a thought to autism.

New Threads

Top Bottom