• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Where are the Windows laptops?

Walking yesterday I spotted 4 random people in random restaurants, Cafe all using Macboooks. I only spotted 3 people using Dell Windows machines at a bank and two other office work computers.

So unless the 95% most of business work computers I still call it bull that there are only 5%mac users.

I love Windows (even Windows 10, yes really). Using an Asus Zenbook here (it's Asus' answer to a Macbook...a real beast in sleek packaging for 1/2 the price of a similarly spec'd Macbook.)

My phone and tablet are both Samsung. I have an old iPod kicking around here...somewhere.

I think a lot of it is regional though. There seems to be, or at least was a few years ago, this attitude that anyone who was anyone in the art/creative world was using Apple. If you didn't have that Apple on your laptop, you weren't worth the time of day. (Of course, maybe the people I knew who had this attitude weren't worth the time of day, which is infinitely likely.) I suspect there are some geographic regions where Apple is a lot more popular than Windows, and vice versa. It's also possible that Apple users are more likely to be the type of people (not disparaging at all - I mean people in creative careers etc.) who are likely to work in cafes etc where you see them - I don't see too many businessmen getting their work done at Starbucks (at least not around here.)

So unless the 95% most of business work computers I still call it bull that there are only 5%mac users.

If you simply Google such a question, keeping the scope of such an issue confined to both desktop and laptop computers and operating systems, you'll see that the percentage of Mac users will be higher than five percent. No surprise there. Though Mac will still be a very distant second in comparison to Windows.

The most optimal way to account for the most dominant operating systems is through server log analysis on the Internet. Not taking headcounts of people in cafes using their laptop computers whether for work or play. It's conceivable that those using their laptops in places like cafes may prefer Macs. However that in itself is no proper way to determine the real market share of any one operating system.

Last edited:
I love Windows (even Windows 10, yes really). Using an Asus Zenbook here (it's Asus' answer to a Macbook...a real beast in sleek packaging for 1/2 the price of a similarly spec'd Macbook.)

My phone and tablet are both Samsung. I have an old iPod kicking around here...somewhere.

I think a lot of it is regional though. There seems to be, or at least was a few years ago, this attitude that anyone who was anyone in the art/creative world was using Apple. If you didn't have that Apple on your laptop, you weren't worth the time of day. (Of course, maybe the people I knew who had this attitude weren't worth the time of day, which is infinitely likely.) I suspect there are some geographic regions where Apple is a lot more popular than Windows, and vice versa. It's also possible that Apple users are more likely to be the type of people (not disparaging at all - I mean people in creative careers etc.) who are likely to work in cafes etc where you see them - I don't see too many businessmen getting their work done at Starbucks (at least not around here.)
I only bought an iPad because it was supposed to be very environmentally friendly, since learned it isn’t very ethical .I don’t know anyone who owns a MacBook ,Apple products are glaringly expensive ,someone I know owns all HP products !so I presume that’s windows.

Windows are more popular in the corporate world. All of the offices I've worked in, but one, have used Windows. That's where the high figures come from.

The Mac place I worked was a design agency.

Yes, I have noticed that the majority of online tutorials are demonstrated on Macs. It's a headache for us windows users who's companies buy in all windows machines. A lot of googling to get my Drupal VM working on my machine.

I must say, when I did use a Mac at work I adapted extremely quickly. If a windows user feels intimidated, don't, you'll pick it up.

I only bought an iPad because it was supposed to be very environmentally friendly, since learned it isn’t very ethical .I don’t know anyone who owns a MacBook ,Apple products are glaringly expensive ,someone I know owns all HP products !so I presume that’s windows.

HP is windows unless someone is running Linux on it or some such - the thing about PCs is, you can gut the software and run whatever operating system you want (except Apple, unless you're really putting in a lot of effort lol, I imagine there's probably a way to do it if you're really so inclined.)

Windows are more popular in the corporate world. All of the offices I've worked in, but one, have used Windows. That's where the high figures come from.
These are the only places I see people using Windows machines at work places. Really I have not spotted anyone using Windows machines recently for personal use. It is also not just the art types. I spotted a Latino woman in an Spanish neighborhood even using an Macbook of all places right outside on her stoop.

Yes, I have noticed that the majority of online tutorials are demonstrated on Macs.
That annoys me so much. That time I was searching for a tutorial to get my Android to work with Windows I even specified Windows in the dumb search engine yet many of the commands would not work because they were mac specific needing "." in front which of course were utterly useless in Windows. I had to click on an few more links to find the solution for Windows.

What irks me is that Mac users use iPhones anyway so they don't care about Android or Windows.

Last edited:
Maybe mention Android in your search as well next time eh?

What puzzles me about this thread is... Why do you care? Why can't you just enjoy the tech you've got and not be bothered about what anyone else has? It sounds alot like you may be coveting thy neighbour's Mac...

Maybe mention Android in your search as well next time eh?

What puzzles me about this thread is... Why do you care? Why can't you just enjoy the tech you've got and not be bothered about what anyone else has? It sounds alot like you may be coveting thy neighbour's Mac...

It is an odd social phenomena. People who become militantly for or against brand names or technology formats. As if a brand name or particular format were an equivalent to a political party. :oops:

Only recently the History Channel had on a bizarre, yet amusing show about the "Cola Wars". Where apart from two of the largest beverage corporations duking it out for the number one spot, a large share of their respective customers seemed to echo the same bias. That essentially they "married" Coke or Pepsi.

Then again there were also the VCR wars. Sony Betamax versus JVC VHS. VHS won. That was yet another war that I didn't take sides in. I enjoyed owning both formats. And of course a few posters over the years have made some colorful comments over a preference of XBox or Playstation. Whatever. :rolleyes:

I prefer desktop systems mostly because I build my own. Though if someone gave me a decent laptop, I'm sure I would enjoy the portability.

Last edited:
It is an odd social phenomena. People who become militantly for or against brand names or technology formats. As if a brand name or particular format were an equivalent to a political party. :oops:

Only recently the History Channel had on a bizarre, yet amusing show about the "Cola Wars". Where apart from two of the largest beverage corporations duking it out for the number one spot, a large share of their respective customers seemed to echo the same bias. That essentially they "married" Coke or Pepsi.

Then again there were also the VCR wars. Sony Betamax versus JVC VHS. VHS won. That was yet another war that I didn't take sides in. I enjoyed owning both formats. And of course a few posters over the years have made some colorful comments over a preference of XBox or Playstation. Whatever. :rolleyes:

I prefer desktop systems mostly because I build my own. Though if someone gave me a decent laptop, I'm sure I would enjoy the portability.

Good point. At least in the Windows vs Mac battle, and the iPhone vs Android battle, there are real practical differences between the two - not to mention price, depending on your chosen non-Apple brand and configuration. (probably the same with the VCR, but I wasn't around for that to know.)

The religious affiliation to Coke or Pepsi just seems silly. They definitely taste different, and I understand preferring one to the other (I enjoy both, but it seems I'm in the minority). Same with Miracle Whip vs mayo lol. There's no real price difference between them, no real practical difference between them - people have a preference, and they get rabid about it.

There's that old saying: "Different strokes for different folks".

Meaning simply that different things appeal to different people. It's not a complex concept.

Where attempting to prove that one product might be superior to another becomes an academic argument. Even if one has a consistently dominant market share compared to others. Unless perhaps if you're a $hareholder of one of those companies, or that the competition eventually drives a competitor out of business. ;)

Otherwise we simply exist in a society with a whole lot of consumer choices. I see nothing wrong with that. :cool:

Last edited:
Although I spot a lot of people using iPhones I also still spotted more people using Android phones than Windows laptops. I really see the use of Windows desktops in offices, banks and many places of business with many running the outdated Windows 7 and even some still on Windows XP. It is personal home usage I can't spot them anyway.

Also I am glad I would never own an overpriced Macbook even if I looked like an oddball at at cafe or an social gathering as I do now using an Oneplus 6T phone which is great and better then there crippled iPhones they carry around that you can't customize worth nothing.

You can't even go on an plane with one of them Some Airlines Banning All MacBook Pros From Checked Luggage and Preventing Use During Flights serves them right for overpaying for crApple products.

Every operational computer I own is either Android or Windows apart from an an Amiga 1200. 2 Windows 10 laptops, Win10 tablet, Win 10 Desktop, Win8.1 tablet, 4 Android Tablets and that's not counting the older mothballed machines, phones,or Android watches or my wife's devices. Neither of us have ever owned an Apple device - not because we have a problem with Apple, they just don't justify the price and we neither of us give a fig about fashion or status. Before Android I had Symbian smartphones.

I like to build my own desktops too and will be upgrading my current desktop in the coming months. I got myself a beefier laptop recently so I can work on videos without dominating the living room on the main machine, but the old one is still in place on the dining table as a browser and WP.

If I won a MacBook or something in a contest I'd probably use it, but I'd not pay money for one when I can get something equally or more powerful for less moolah and with a range of software that's unmatched. I'd still rather have my slick Huawei than any of the current range of iPhones too. The camera's flipping amazing!

Each to their own, as in everything, but until Apple can match HP, Acer, Asus, Samsung, Huawei etc. on price, power and versatility they won't be likely round my gaff any time soon ;) To me a computer or smart device is a tool, not a fashion or loyalty statement.

There's that old saying: "Different strokes for different folks".

Meaning simply that different things appeal to different people. It's not a complex concept.

Where attempting to prove that one product might be superior to another becomes an academic argument. Even if one has a consistently dominant market share compared to others. Unless perhaps if you're a $hareholder of one of those companies, or that the competition eventually drives a competitor out of business. ;)

Otherwise we simply exist in a society with a whole lot of consumer choices. I see nothing wrong with that. :cool:

Yep - there are a lot of specific reasons to need one or the other, industry specific software etc. A LOT of businesses use/require iPhones (I'm not sure that has to do with anything but CEO preference, and probably corporate deals to attract companies who are mass-buying iPhones.) My company's maintenance personnel are issued iPhones.

We don't get Miracle Whip over here. Until a couple of years ago I thought it was a sweet condiment, like artificial cream. Curious to try it. I like a bit of mayo on me chips ;)

Miracle Whip is awesome. It's like mayo, but I guess, more tangy? I grew up on it, and I don't hate mayo, but I definitely prefer Miracle Whip.

What puzzles me about this thread is... Why do you care? Why can't you just enjoy the tech you've got and not be bothered about what anyone else has?
This is part of my Aspergers. Things like this always bothered me. Example is lets say Pears are the most popular fruit yet everywhere you go you see people eating grapes even though they said that grapes were at the bottom of the list of popular fruits well that will bother the heck out of me everytime I see someone eating grapes in public.

If I won a MacBook or something in a contest I'd probably use it, but I'd not pay money for one when I can get something equally or more powerful for less moolah and with a range of software that's unmatched.
Funny thing is my father won an iPad and gave it too me. Now I know why I ditched iOS it is so restricted that I can't even set a default browser, no widgets the home screen is like an constipated person I can't even freely move apps wherever I want them they have all be right next to each other. Give me Android any day that gives me the freedom to customize my home screen and default apps.

Now I am not totally anti-Apple just iOS and macOS. I do own an 4K Apple TV which uses tvOS. I use it everyday which is great even though the remote is cumbersome but I am use to it and I do subscribe to Apple Music which I love better than the other music services SQ and interface is better.

Last edited:
Funny thing is my father won an iPad and gave it too me. Now I know why I ditched iOS it is so restricted that I can't even set a default browser, no widgets the home screen is like an constipated person I can't even freely move apps wherever I want them they have all be right next to each other. Give me Android any day that gives me the freedom to customize my home screen and default apps.

I didn't realize it was that bad. That would infuriate me!

See that frustrates me too. I've used iPads at work and I've helped enough people make sense of their iPhones to know it's not for me, but I'd find a use for it. Each device I own is used differently. Like my last phone is used mainly as a music player and I keep it in the kitchen. I use my 10inch Android tablet for watching videos and reading comics/graphic novels, but my 8inch tablet is for browsing, notes etc. My desktop was for gaming, production and used to be our media centre, but now we have an android tv box for media and my new laptop for production so the desktop is now purely for gaming.

Many of the open source tools I use in the creative process are available on Mac too, so if I was given one I'd find a way of slotting it in somewhere and a decent sized ipad would be good for watching YouTube when I'm in the bath or in bed if nothing else.

I guess I got so used to making do when I was broke that now I can occasionally afford an upgrade here and there I still find ways of putting the old tech to use. I'd apply the same principle to gear that didn't really suit me but had it's uses :)

Here's the thing about MAC computers, or any other Apple product for that matter. They are a fashion statement, A status symbol, and they are very easy and intuitive to use. Beyond that, they're not really good for anything else.
They are crazy expensive and when I needed a laptop and couldn't afford an apple product I got a pc one. That was six months ago and re the posters Q on 'where are they?', I know he was referring to something different, but I will tell you where my pc laptop is: in a drawer doing nothing because it's ALREADY stuffed up - won't even turn on. I can't afford to go and see if it can be repaired right now. That is, sadly, what always seems to happen when I've used a pc.

Meanwhile I'm using a iMac from 2012.

New Threads

Top Bottom