• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Where are the Windows laptops?

Tony Ramirez

Single forever. Friends?
V.I.P Member
Really they clam that only 5% use iMacs, Macbooks and over 90% use Windows machines. Well every where I have been all I see is people using iMacs and Macbooks I mean really not one Windows machine in sight. Even walking home one day I saw someone using an Macbook.

So what irritates me is that they these false clams of over 90% Windows users they get stats so wrong it is not even funny no more. Also BTW we all have Windows PC's in our house and I use an Android phone but really no one else uses Windows. I found a few using Android phones though.

You won't find many Macs in use in the commercial world. They're popular with arty disciplines, but business runs on Windows (at least in the West - there's a lot of AS/OS400 systems running in India that were rescued from recycling - great business systems even now). All my computers currently in use at home are Windows PCs (7,8.1,couple on 10 and an old legacy XP machine) or Android devices,every one of the 700 odd PCs where I work are running Windows (7) and every business I have ever worked in before runs on Windows or before that MS-DOS.
Behind the scenes, much of the internet runs on Linux servers.

I've been designing graphics, editing photos and now videos on PCs since 3.1 and I've used Macs when working with others. There is no material or qualitative advantage to owning a Mac over a well made, decent spec PC. If someone genuinely prefers the Mac experience and uses it to the full, that's fine - we're all entitled to our preferences . Sadly there's also a significant element who buy them just to "keep up with the Joneses" because they're seen as exclusive and they're definitely more expensive than equivalent PCs (and a few of those people like to look down on others who can't afford or don't buy into the elitist game). At the end of it, a computer is a tool, and there's no point flashing a wad of cash if you don't make use of a tool's potential. If you're a carpenter, get an Estwing hammer - they're worth it. If you just want to hang a few pictures? Stanley will do fine ;)

Here's the thing about MAC computers, or any other Apple product for that matter. They are a fashion statement, A status symbol, and they are very easy and intuitive to use. Beyond that, they're not really good for anything else.

I've used Windows PC's most of my life. When I went to art school I had to work in the Mac Lab because I think my prof wanted to punish me :) (actually I think he wanted me to know both platforms). Have known many artists who use Mac's but few of them actually knew much about computers.

It was more of a tool for them to display or draw work, and they were constantly losing work on Mac's and unable to recover it. You couldn't get into a Mac system if you were a casual user, that is, into the heart of the system if there was a problem. That's where I came in as a lab tech. I spent my days recovering their lost work.

The problem with Mac's for me specifically, is that back then you couldn't replace or upgrade parts yourself. All of the guts of a Macintosh were practically locked down, boxed in individually and you had to break cases to replace a faulty fan. You sent them back to Macintosh and they would either repair or replace them. You couldn't do it yourself. That's not to say that they aren't good computers with excellent graphics for certain uses, and still are.

There's also the problem with software for Mac's, early on and even now there is no where near the amount of available software for a Mac as there is for a PC. Macintosh stayed exclusive, often to their detriment. In order to control their piece of the computer market. (It still reminds me of the Betamax vs VHS battles long ago on a much larger scale.)

Last edited:
About 15 years ago I bought an IPod when they came out simply because it had a huge memory, but since then I have had no Apple products in the house. I have an Android phone and Windows computer - all my PCs have been Windows.

They must be living around me because I almost never see Macs, I can only think of one person I know who uses one.

The fact that you only see people using macs doesn't mean that the stats are false. It means that you, one person experiencing one tiny part of the world with a perspective influenced by a variety of cognitive biases, have an experience which is not in line with the stats, regardless of how accurate the stats are. Personal anecdote is not evidence.

They must be living around me because I almost never see Macs, I can only think of one person I know who uses one.
I have not seen one Windows laptop anywhere during my travels. Heck even the Church I attend I see that stupid white Apple logo in the back of all there laptops. So where are the Windows users. I don't believe that bull about there being so little mac users. Just like they claim most of the population is obese yet I see more slim people then obese people during my daily walks.

I love Apple hardware and software. But they're completely proprietary. Where you can only be a user and not really alter either the hardware or the software significantly. Much like a Rolls Royce, where you're not allowed to "check under the hood". I'm a geek! I'm always tinkering with software in one way or another.

But most of all, Apple remains absurdly overpriced. Granted it might be a worthwhile investment for so many who are at a total loss when faced with problems. However for me...nope-nope-nope. I simply cannot justify the cost even if everything runs perpetually perfect.

The $999 Monitor Stand is the perfect example of this...

About 2 years ago. I picked up a original Apple cinema display monitor from a thrift store for about $20. It was the world's first 24 inch HD LCD monitor that came out in 1999 and had a retail price of over $9000( about $22000 in today's money). even after 20 year's, It still works great and give an awesome picture with no dead pixels. BTW: if you gotta ask, Yes it's hooked up to my PC. I don't own a MAC.

Okay just went to someone house yesterday and you guessed it another mac laptop.

Really stop lying saying that most use Windows computers next time I see another one of those recent dumb articles I will post here.

Attachments

• IMG_20190627_191142.jpg
    IMG_20190627_191142.jpg
    968.3 KB · Views: 0
It depends on who you interact with. I am corporate SMB so it is 90 Win, 5 Apple, 5 Linux (not counting tablets).

I am die hard Win. Apple computing has made great in roads into corp. over recent years, especially with the MasOS BSD backend. It used to be more graphics, education and exec status, but audience includes others including network architects and others. Some of it may depend on the applications you need to run, even with the ability to run Win app on Mac hypervisor.

Apple does have issues with the central management benefits more readily available to Win networks, but there are options. Apple also has some virus challenges just like PC, despite what people say. And both Apple/Android have app store issues despite there best efforts. I say use what you like unless you need compatibility with with certain apps or a corporate network. Home users usually have free reign.

Okay I watched some random YouTube videos of people doing daily tasks. You guessed it all of them were using Macbooks not a Windows machine in sight. It just really irritates me when I see that stupid white Apple logo on the back and then I have to hear bogus news articles on how Apple is struggling getting users to use Mac's yea right.

Where are you seeing all these Macbooks? I have hardly seen any, I mostly see Windows laptops. This must be a location thing.

Also are we talking just laptops or all PCs?

All the laptops I see have that Apple logo in the back which tells you it is an Macbook. I remember one day last month walking I actually saw a Windows laptop in an cafe I was shocked. Really that was the last Windows laptop I spotted. Everywhere I go I see those dumb overpriced Macbooks.

Simply look at the global market share of laptop computer manufacturers. These TrendForce statistics are six months old, but I seriously doubt the results have changed significantly since then.

Particularly note those in first (HP), second (Lenovo) and third (Dell) place. All computers using Microsoft Windows as their primary operating system for laptops.

With Apple using the Mac OS in fourth place, bumping Asus to fifth place, which is another vendor using Microsoft Windows for their laptop computers.

Apple moves from #5 to #4 in global laptop shipments, on track for double-digit share - 9to5Mac

Last edited:
I'm a Windows user but have been wanting to learn to use a Mac. So I've been looking to see if any of the public libraries around here have Macs I can use. Barely any do, which is actually quite surprising.

New Threads

Top Bottom