• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's the biggest hint you missed?

Well...I can't say which hints I missed, because I missed them.

There were several times when, after leaving a social situation with my family, a dentists office, etc., one or both of my parents would tell me, "That girl was flirting with you. You should have asked her out." My response was usually something like, "She was? When?" I would usually think, if she wanted to go out, why didn't she just say so?

One time, my Mom read a yearbook entry and said, "This girl liked you. She would have dated you if you asked her." I said, "How could you tell?" Her answer: "I just know." ...which just left me thinking, "How do you expect me to figure this out next time if you can't tell me how to tell when someone likes you?"

They just "know". I hate it when people say crap like this. I once had a debate in the YouTube comments section with someone who used this very same line in their defence of that (mediocre, in my view) film, Blade Runner 2049. He thought it was a "masterpiece". I asked him why. He responded with something like, "Oh, it's obvious. Can't you see it?" I called him an idiot for not being able to explain why he thought it was so good, because as far as I'm concerned if you cannot explain something this simple (i.e. why a film is a masterpiece, in your view, and in your own words), then you are either being dishonest, or really are an idiot, and I simply cannot respect people who are either.
What will it take to convince the majority that no, we are not psychic like they apparently are? I've almost certainly missed unstated (and therefore unclear) messages like this countless times, because unless you actually tell me how you feel about me I'm just not going to know. Sorry, but I don't see - literally do not see - 'body language', or 'hints'. Don't get angry with me afterwards if you had something important to get across, and I had no idea you were trying to. I don't blame people who are colour-blind for not being able to see the colours I do, so you shouldn't do the same with me. I just wish people could be reasonable. Why is that so hard for them?

A few weeks ago I was getting annoyed by this man behind me in the check out line. He kept standing next to me instead of behind me and kept talking to me. I'd answer questions but was trying to figure out what the heck he was doing. Even when I got to the register he approaches the register with me, even though another one just opened up. The cashier had to step outside to get this lightweight, metal out door chair I wanted, so I started thinking, "Darn - this guy's in a hurry obviously and now he has to wait for her to go get my chair." Once my stuff is paid for, he sets his stuff on the counter and says he'll be right back to pay for it and picks up the chair and says he'll carry it to my car. I said it's light but he doesn't set it down and follows me to the car with it. I finally get the chair into the car and get in and he goes back inside. My daughter in law was like, "Man, was he ever flirting with you." I was like, "What??? I thought I was annoying him."

That was flirting?! o_O:confused:

I used to belong to a now defunct social media website and attracted a lot of men whom I just thought wanted a friend. I adore witty banter but sometimes I make it sound like flirting and basically I have learned that I am somewhat of a tease as the saying goes because I am just an act. Men whom I thought were friends would eventually ask me for cyber sex and then I would get hurt and upset and they would tell me I was basically an idiot not to have known that's where it was leading.

These stories are all resonating with me, another trait about me..... l thought this is what everyone does. l am marking it as l am super passive in this area? Or this area doesn't interest us as much or are we passive and uninterested? My mom actually told me she was surprised l got married. Like we chose not to see the signs?

I used to belong to a now defunct social media website and attracted a lot of men whom I just thought wanted a friend. I adore witty banter but sometimes I make it sound like flirting and basically I have learned that I am somewhat of a tease as the saying goes because I am just an act. Men whom I thought were friends would eventually ask me for cyber sex and then I would get hurt and upset and they would tell me I was basically an idiot not to have known that's where it was leading.
This happened to me, but I just thought they were making me feel bad so that they could get in my pants, so Id give them what I had to for having caused something for them. They were aggressive with me acting upset.
One tried blaming me for wearing a pic of an anime girl with a cleavage, but it only fully appeared on my opened profile.

lol... all I can think to answer the OP is: "Uh, all of them?" :laughing:

I have this great talent: I'm able to miss signals in real time, and then two days later remember it in vivid detail and want to punch myself for being so slow and missing my chance. Don't try this at home.

This happened to me, but I just thought they were making me feel bad so that they could get in my pants, so Id give them what I had to for having caused something for them. They were aggressive with me acting upset.
One tried blaming me for wearing a pic of an anime girl with a cleavage, but it only fully appeared on my opened profile.

I've had difficulty all my life with understanding what I do or do not owe to people but by the time I arrived at the age of forty I had figured out I didn't owe anybody cyber sex, though I did feel guilt for perhaps misleading them.

They just "know". I hate it when people say crap like this. I once had a debate in the YouTube comments section with someone who used this very same line in their defence of that (mediocre, in my view) film, Blade Runner 2049. He thought it was a "masterpiece". I asked him why. He responded with something like, "Oh, it's obvious. Can't you see it?" I called him an idiot for not being able to explain why he thought it was so good, because as far as I'm concerned if you cannot explain something this simple (i.e. why a film is a masterpiece, in your view, and in your own words), then you are either being dishonest, or really are an idiot, and I simply cannot respect people who are either.
What will it take to convince the majority that no, we are not psychic like they apparently are? I've almost certainly missed unstated (and therefore unclear) messages like this countless times, because unless you actually tell me how you feel about me I'm just not going to know. Sorry, but I don't see - literally do not see - 'body language', or 'hints'. Don't get angry with me afterwards if you had something important to get across, and I had no idea you were trying to. I don't blame people who are colour-blind for not being able to see the colours I do, so you shouldn't do the same with me. I just wish people could be reasonable. Why is that so hard for them?
I agree!
If you don't know why you think something it's a hunch.
Meaning something you have no clues you can point - something unsubstantial

One way I know of to know for men if a women is either interested in you or what you have to say - is if when talking to you if she points her pelvis at you.
I don't know if this works for women to women interactions (doesn't apply to me so didn't look into more, sorry, figure it out yourself)

Other signs to consider:
Crossed arms are a sign of defensiveness in both men and women.
Constant movement shows agitation or nervousness.

These stories are all resonating with me, another trait about me..... l thought this is what everyone does. l am marking it as l am super passive in this area? Or this area doesn't interest us as much or are we passive and uninterested? My mom actually told me she was surprised l got married. Like we chose not to see the signs?
Wow I would have been highly hurt if my mom told me that, I'm sorry she didn't have more confidence in you.
If she didn't think you would succeed she should have tried harder.

This is somewhat similar. One time this girl who I was friends with and I were talking on the phone.
Ashlynn:I have a crush on this guy
Me: *bewildered* who?
Her: You know him very well
Me: Shane?
Her: No
(I kept guessing for several minutes)
Her: It's you
Me: Oh. I see.
Nothing came of that for some reason. She moved away a week later.

Last edited:
it was the end of my shift and I was wrapping up closing duties when I went up to this chic who I actually knew liked me who was the shift runner that night and asked her if she needed anything else. she responded.."some company".

I'm not sure if it was a missed signal as much as it was fornication not being my thing. I don't think it would have worked out as we had different social, political, and religious views.

Last edited:
it was the end of my shift and I was rapping up closing duties when I went up to this chic who I actually knew liked me who was the shift runner that night and asked her if she needed anything else. she responded.."some company".

I'm not sure if it was a missed signal as much as it was fornication not being my thing. I don't think it would have worked out as we had different social, political, and religious views.

Ah, wish itd have happened to me, but I think I would have reacted the same. xD

I find it odd though when ppl refer to 'company' as dating.

My first thought was that she's depressed, not that she was interested in you. :eek:
she's actually a pretty cheerful person and was in a good mood when she said that.

I suppose no one here is familiar with someone "wanting some company" referring to sexual company.

Well, I didnt realy care about the fact that I didnt see it because I wasnt realy interested in the first place...

*Clear throat" let me share you a story from 10 years ago xD

A girl in my class loudely said that she liked guys with bear, and everyone turned to me because I was the only one with one at the moment, and I was just like ?????????

Then few days later, the same girl came to class wearing a black dress + lipstick I dont know what she was doing, she was always wearing casual clothes and all of a sudden she was cosplaying a james bond girl...

Another person had to tell me that it was because she was interested in me...I missed it.

She invited me to her home and we went out some other day, at this point I knew but I had no clue what to do nor what to feel.

Few days later she sent me a pages long message saying how stupid and childish I was ( I had no clue I had to dress up for instance)
Well ok xD

I love beards, and even if they sometimes are oblivious, a beard is always forgiven.
That being said I think you should have given her the touch and some rub of the mighty beard.

it was the end of my shift and I was wrapping up closing duties when I went up to this chic who I actually knew liked me who was the shift runner that night and asked her if she needed anything else. she responded.."some company".

10 Years ago I probably would have be like "maybe" but wouldn't have had the confidence to pursue, Now It's like "Bow Chickia Bow Cow"
I've Been wrong about these things before though. Just gotta ask yourself if you want to take the risk.
But always remember no risk, no reward!

New Threads

Top Bottom