• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's old is new again.

I miss having AAA. Every time I was nearby to a AAA office, I would go in and pick up fistfuls of maps.

Maps are my big love.

One of my grandfather's favourite sayings - The more the world changes the more she stays the same.

Any decades-old things making a comeback?
Vinyl records. Fairly recently I went into an HMV shop and in the front display were loads and loads of records, like it were the 70s again. Most new album releases are released on vinyl as well as CD and digital. CDs are old hat now, but who knows, maybe in another 20 years or so, they will also make a comeback.

Maps. Several weeks ago, my wife and I were traveling in the upper peninsula of Michigan, and there are large areas where we had no cell or GPS coverage. The fancy car navigation system was totally offline. Some of those roads we traveling upon were nothing more than loose sand and gravel, as if a bulldozer simply pushed some trees and brush out of the way, and they said, "This is a road now". Barely a line on a road map, but we traveled for several hours on "roads" like this. We would have never been able to navigate without our paper map.

I often explore back roads on the Canadian prairies

I don't use/have never used GPS in my car

When exploring on the prairies I use what is called a Back Roads Atlas map book, it shows all the roads that exist, not just the main highway, including all the gravel roads

There might just be a growing interest in mechanical keyboards:

Picture of a typical mechanical keyboard: File:Mechanical keyboard example.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
The keyboard shown still has only one cord coming out of it.
That means a digital conversion is happening internally even if it does contain mechanical components. That seems to defeat the purpose and make the unit unnecessarily overcomplicated (in terms of maintenance)...

(I worked on typewriters back in the day.)

According to King Solomon, there is nothing new under the sun.
Of course, technologies change but people still are pretty much the same.
But even with technology, details may change without affecting basic utility.
In the 1980s, my Model I TRS-80 with 16 kilobytes of memory was capable of doing word processing, running spreadsheets, handling email, online chatting, etc.
Graphics weren't so great. I did digital image processing (think photoshop) on a slightly more capable computer at work. Data transfer rates were lower.
Basically sound and graphic capabilities greatly improved, but we're still doing the same sort of things on our vastly superior computers now.

I've always liked paper maps. I also like hard copy books.

I will concede that one advantage of soft copy books is the ability to search within them, especially when you remember a specific sentence or quote and want to find it (rather than relying on an index).

I've always liked paper maps. I also like hard copy books.

I will concede that one advantage of soft copy books is the ability to search within them, especially when you remember a specific sentence or quote and want to find it (rather than relying on an index).
That, and carrying 200+ books in a device about the footprint of a paperback and about 1/4 inch thick, with the option of playing mp3 music while you read.

I'd rather pull over and read any number of maps and a Thomas Guide I have in the car. Looking at the little LCD screen in my car to follow a moving and twisting map with GPS is too much of a distraction to stare at while driving.

I like the DeLorme Gazeteer series. Each page is comparable to a 7.5 minute topo map

Old-style analog home products (no batteruies necessary). One example is an analog bathroom weighing scale - esp. a scale whose designs are notable in style.

It's like Shirley Bassey said: the newspapers shout a new style is growing but it don't know if it's coming or going, there is fashion, there is fad, some is good, some is bad and the joke is rather sad, that it's all just a little bit of history repeating.

AM Radio (with batteries) has experienced a growing interest as a relaible source of news during emergencies.

New Threads

Top Bottom